Some technical HD and format questions at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Open DV Discussion
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Open DV Discussion
For topics which don't fit into any of the other categories.

Old December 28th, 2006, 10:24 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Some technical HD and format questions

Hey,

A few HD questions that I haven't seen sure about for a while especially related to high def camcorders.

The relatively new sony hd dvd camcorder HDR-UX1 - you burn your hd video onto a standard dvd not a blu ray or hd dvd, can this standard small disc be played on a dvd player and hooked up to a high def tv see hd quality.

Or would the camcorder have to be hooked up to the tv via hdmi cables or burned onto a blu ray or hd dvd disc to see the quality on a high def tv?

Same deal with the HD HDD camcorders, I don't see how the whole high def work flow goes. Not worrying about editing at this point, just trying to figure it all out.

My other question involves resolution of the various formats and the difference in the interlaced versus progressive. I understand that interlaced is every other line for each frame? So 30 frames per second video you have the first frame the even fields, the next frame the odd fields, correct? But then I've also seen talk about 60i?

As far as progressive goes which would be better 1080i, or 720p? And now I'm seeing tv's that do 1080p? When will it stop?

Can anyone help me out on this information or provide any good links for info.

Much appreciated

Luke
Luke McMillian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 29th, 2006, 03:19 AM   #2
Trustee

The UX1 records AVCHD on a DVD. This format is not compatible with settop DVD players, so you can't play them on another device. Sony supplies software with this camera to allow capturing to a PC and burning standard DVD's.

30 frames either consist of progressive information or 60 interlaced fields, where two fields (even and odd) comprise one frame. I think the correct description should be 30P or 60i.
Harm Millaard is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Open DV Discussion