Documentary in Columbus, Ohio at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Open DV Discussion
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Open DV Discussion
For topics which don't fit into any of the other categories.

Old February 2nd, 2007, 08:08 PM   #1
Major Player

Documentary in Columbus, Ohio

Hello all,
I now this seems like a strange post or thread to start, but I'm drawing a blank....

I'm currently taking a class at a local college on documentary production, so naturally I have to shoot a documentary (kinda goes without saying, huh?). I pretty busy with my regular work right now and I need to crank out this project quickly. So I decided to post a request here for ideas for a 10 to 12 minute documentary that could be shot quickly (1 or 2 days at most). It doesn't have to be a brilliant idea, just something dealing with Columbus or Ohio (preferably Columbus so I don't have to travel).

I'm just a little tapped out right now on the creative juices, and could use a jump start. Any help would be great, but I do prefer topics of a social awareness or political tint. But I guess if all else fails, I can do it on Frank Fetch Park in German Village.

If you've got an idea please let it fly...
Old February 5th, 2007, 08:32 AM   #2
Major Player

Kevin,
Since you are stressed on time, I've always found that if you choose something close or important to you, then it might be a little easier. When I was doing news, I had to do little 2min segments on people in the community and what they were doing or provided. One of the most fun ones that I did was of a local carwash, that had been there for many years. Maybe there is a little grocery store or a coffee shop that you go to a lot. Many times you'll find it easier for an individual or small group to open up and tell you their story. Plus people will usually want push positive things then open up about negative things in their lives. Other ideas, a bingo hall, just about any Mom & Pop business. What abou t a drive-thru? I bet people working at a drive-thru have some great stories. Hope this helps your creative juices.

Good Luck,
David Stoneburner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 5th, 2007, 06:33 PM   #3
Major Player

Thanks for your ideas, David. There is a little drive-thru and a family owned grocery just down the street, so either of those might work. I'll find out tomorrow... Thanks

Kevin
Old February 6th, 2007, 08:13 AM   #4
Trustee

A day in Kevin's life in Columbous Ohio?
Bruce S. yarock
www.yarock.com
Bruce S. Yarock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 7th, 2007, 01:55 PM   #5
Major Player

Thanks for the idea Bruce, only problem is that we are already doing that one as a class project.

I checked about doing the one on the grocery store and the drive thru, they were both not interested.

Thanks again for the help guys,
Kevin
Old February 7th, 2007, 05:12 PM   #6
Regular Crew

If you can't do your life, find an elderly person that has lived in Columbus for their whole lives and do a day in the life of them. OR find anybody that has a lot of time on their hands and a lot of local stories to tell. The narrator becomes the subject and vise versa.
Greg Hartzell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 8th, 2007, 03:57 PM   #7
Major Player

That's a really good suggestion, Greg. Thank you. I'll call around this weekend and see who I can find. Also, the B Roll could very well be built in if they have old photos to go with the story...

Thanks,
Kevin
Old February 12th, 2007, 05:30 AM   #8
Major Player

Try a retirement home, and chat it up with the folks there. A girl in my class did one on a dog that lived (or visited?) a retirement home. She shot some video of the dog playing with the folks, and then did some informal interviews with the old folks on the subject of the dog. It was a hit.
Adam Bray is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Open DV Discussion