Will NAB have an effect on older camera prices? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Open DV Discussion
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Open DV Discussion
For topics which don't fit into any of the other categories.

Old March 12th, 2007, 04:24 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Will NAB have an effect on older camera prices?

After search another forum(so what, I like to POST around lol)I was informed that when NAB shows the new toys, older ones, new/used, will dcrease in price dramatically. IS this true? I mean, some of you know I have been looking for a camera and It seems there may be some validity to this statement, any takers?
Old March 12th, 2007, 04:43 PM   #2
New Boot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam Rosado View Post
I was informed that when NAB shows the new toys, older ones, new/used, will dcrease in price dramatically. IS this true?
It's a fact of life that when new technology is released, older equipment on the market soon drops in price. It may not happen the very same day, but soon thereafter.
George Huczek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 12th, 2007, 04:43 PM   #3
Major Player

I've noticed that trend, but it seems to have more to do with when the new products are actually shipped to dealers, which is then followed by a period of sales reaction. It appears the market seeks and then settles into a price point that makes sense.
There is also the desire of the manufacturer to impact the market. When will the manufacturer authorize a minimum selling price to authorized retailers. When the Canon GL2 was released a few years ago I noticed a significant drop in the price of new GL1 cameras. There was a similar, but less significant, drop in the prices of the Xl1s upon the release of the XL2. I did not see a significant drop on the XL2 when the XLH1 was released.
In any case, I believe the trend is a gradual one, so be patient.
Old March 12th, 2007, 04:47 PM   #4
Obstreperous Rex

Quote:
Originally Posted by Waldemar Winkler View Post
it seems to have more to do with when the new products are actually shipped to dealers...
Yes this is exactly right. Much of the new product shown at NAB is of a conceptual nature. It takes months, sometimes a year for the new NAB gear to actually reach the market.

(The reason why the XL2 did not drop in price when the XL H1 came out, is because the XL H1 did not replace the XL2. It was only an addition to the product line; the XL2 did not go away).

Search DV Info Net | 20 years of DVi | ...Tuesday is Soylent Green Day!
Chris Hurd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 12th, 2007, 05:48 PM   #5
Regular Crew

ok, great. Its what I figured although I am not aware of how the video market works. I know when NAMM announces its previews studio gear almost aoutmatically drops in prices. There is no waiting period as that technology is changing on a more consistent basis. So, normally, it would be a year after the NAB show huh? wow. I dont think I can wait that long. where can I get info on NAB and how I can buy tickets to go?

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Open DV Discussion