Which lens brand? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Open DV Discussion

Open DV Discussion
For topics which don't fit into any of the other categories.

Old April 25th, 2007, 09:33 AM   #1
Regular Crew

Which lens brand?

I think this is in the wrong forum so forgive me Boyd, but, I have recently come across some lenses for my XL1S and need to know which way to go. Has anyone heard of Digital Optics or Centur Optics and if so, what is the comparison? Also, I have read somewhere on this site that a cheap lense filter can actually harm your cam, please educate me o' great masters of video!
Old April 25th, 2007, 09:56 AM   #2
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam Rosado View Post
I think this is in the wrong forum so forgive me Boyd, but, I have recently come across some lenses for my XL1S and need to know which way to go. Has anyone heard of Digital Optics or Centur Optics and if so, what is the comparison? Also, I have read somewhere on this site that a cheap lense filter can actually harm your cam, please educate me o' great masters of video!
I don't think there are many people here who have used both brands and can compare them, but I have used Century Optics for several years and found them to be top-notch.

A cheap lens filter will not harm your cam unless the screw thread is bad, but it will harm your recordings in terms of lesser quality.
Harm Millaard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 25th, 2007, 11:32 AM   #3
Wrangler

Since you mention the XL1 series, are you looking at conversion lenses which screw onto the filter threads, or at replacements for the removable lens on your camera?

Century makes very nice conversion lenses, I have a couple. Digital Optics (assuming that it's the company I'm thinking of) makes cheap, low grade stuff. I had one of their wide convertors for my PDX-10 and it was "OK" but not all that great. I don't think these two companies are in the same league at all.
Boyd Ostroff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 25th, 2007, 11:39 AM   #4
Major Player

I will recommend AGAINST getting Digital Optics.

They are cheap (price and quality). I have a set of 58mm attachments - a wide angle and a telephoto converter. The pictures come out not-clear with the telephoto and very distorted with the wide angle. In an "emergency" situation, they are better then nothing and you can order them with 1-day shipping from a lot of places for far under $100. I think mine were on sale for $30 each when I got them (normally $80 i beleive). Just think of this - when ebay sellers sell camera "packages", they usually drop in Digital Optics wide angle and teleconverter to up the price - why? because they are cheap to add in and most people don't know they are getting junk.

That's my opinion of course.

On the other hand, I have not yet tried Century Optics because of the price of them. However, I have a Canon wide angle 58mm and have absolutely no complaints about that one. I believe the Canon retails around $150 but not totally sure if that's accurate right now. So really you get what you pay for in this case.
Lisa Shofner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 25th, 2007, 12:28 PM   #5
Regular Crew

Thanks for the quick response guys(and girls). I guess that sums it up for me. Now if I can only access the classifieds to see who has a lens for sale.....
Old April 25th, 2007, 02:59 PM   #6
Regular Crew

Century Optics since i can remember over here... Good look on your search

~Mike

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Open DV Discussion