NLE Spellchecker at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Open DV Discussion
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Open DV Discussion
For topics which don't fit into any of the other categories.

Old April 26th, 2007, 01:53 PM   #1
Major Player

NLE Spellchecker

I just misspelled a guy's name and therefore have to re-render a whole 45 minute video. Does anybody know of any spell-checking or grammar checking add on for any NLE? I work in Vegas and FCP....

In this case it probably wouldn't have changed anything (his last name was "Selby" - I had written down Shelby) but a spell-checker app would at least ask me if I thought this was correct.
Theodore McNeil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 26th, 2007, 03:24 PM   #2
Inner Circle

my spell checker is my wife. :-)

Really I thought about that a few years ago when I started doing my names (credits) in MS Word and then copy and paste into Vegas media generator but here's the problem, names can be spelled any which way and I don't think any spell checker will really give you the correct way to spell it.

Thats when I started having my wife double check names. She's saved my old bones on more than one occassion.

Don
Don Bloom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 26th, 2007, 04:01 PM   #3
Regular Crew

Theodore,

There is a program, and I think it is free, called Tiny Spell. It runs in the background and checks all keystrokes for misspelled words. It beeps when you misspell a word.

If you type a lot of non-words on your computer, it beeps at you constantly.

It's great just to let you know you have misspelled something and it does it no matter what program you are running. Do a Yahoo search for it and you will get several hits.

There are only certain names that most spell checkers recognize, however. But if you are typing words in your NLE, it will check the spelling so you won't have to rework something because of spelling errors. Grammar is a problem it does not address.

Good luck,
Old April 26th, 2007, 04:12 PM   #4
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Theodore McNeil View Post
I just misspelled a guy's name and therefore have to re-render a whole 45 minute video. Does anybody know of any spell-checking or grammar checking add on for any NLE? I work in Vegas and FCP....

In this case it probably wouldn't have changed anything (his last name was "Selby" - I had written down Shelby) but a spell-checker app would at least ask me if I thought this was correct.
For FCP, you could use the free text editor that comes with the Mac, Text Edit. Be sure to convert to plain text before importing into FCP's text boxes. It does spell check, but it said Shelby was correct and Selby wasn't, so in your case, it wouldn't have helped.

I use that to enter text from the program for scrolls while I'm waiting for the reception to start. Again, change to plain text before copy/paste into FCP.

Grant
Grant Harrington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 27th, 2007, 02:58 AM   #5
Inner Circle

In Hawaii a spell check program is useless for names 90 percent of the time.

Hawaiian names, Japanese names, Filipino names... everything gets flagged! :-)

Only a few things helped me: Copy & Paste, a degree in journalism and a couple of years of experience as a copy editor.
Old April 27th, 2007, 05:42 AM   #6
Major Player

In South-Africa a spell checker goes bananas /

We've got 11 national languages squashed into one country as big as Texas.

That includes the bushmen / @#$%^^&&&$$#@@$%^ !

Herman.
Herman Van Deventer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 27th, 2007, 07:15 AM   #7
Inner Circle

I write it out in the credits and copy and then drop it into MS word to check spelling. I'm not a great speller, but names can REALLY get me into trouble, so, I try to get those involved to write down or email me the names for the credits etc. so that I have the correct spelling in my hands. Sometimes they are not what you thought they were at all!

Now a days even the most common names can have weird spellings because everyone is trying to be different. Some parents should be shot for the way they are spelling their child's first names. I can't imagine going through school with names spelled so strangely. No teacher or even another student can get it right! :)

Mike
Old April 27th, 2007, 11:22 AM   #8
Trustee

Meh on spell check. I always mess up the proper names and years. Just finished the 2006 Collins Hill Screaming Eagle Band video. Started playing the proof and there it was... 2007. :) 12 hours later...
George Ellis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 27th, 2007, 01:00 PM   #9
Major Player

I always thought that Apple should just tie the spell checker into FCP/FCE from Text Edit. It would make life much easier and they have already written the code...
Old April 28th, 2007, 12:04 AM   #10
Inner Circle

And I have to type real Japanese text in some of my stuff. No spell checker on earth will help.
Jim Andrada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 30th, 2007, 10:13 AM   #11
Major Player

Thanks for all the replies. I'm definitely going to check out tiny spell.

Yeah, I usually type things out in text edit or word.

I just think it's funny that we can do track motion or make someone look like a smurf in post but it can't tell us if we spelled teh or adn wrong. ;)
Theodore McNeil is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Open DV Discussion