Which is the best editing software? (Adobe Premiere vs. Vegas 7 vs. Avid) at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Open DV Discussion

Open DV Discussion
For topics which don't fit into any of the other categories.

Closed Thread

Old April 28th, 2007, 02:22 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Which is the best editing software? (Adobe Premiere vs. Vegas 7 vs. Avid)

I don't have a MAC and don't plan on getting one anytime soon so that leaves out Final Cut. So based on that..what is the better software package?

Based on what I've researched so far, it seems like the top 3 are:

Adobe Premiere
Vegas 7
Avid

The main reason I ask this question is, It will take a lot of time to learn a program. And if I do learn one, I'd like to learn the best one that is rich in features and possibilities. So as I get better I can keep building on my knowledge.

It seem like most commercial paying jobs require a knowledge of Avid. And it seems like most film projects use Premiere because of it's fluid compatability with After Effects. Yet Vegas seems like it might be more user friendly not to mention more affordable going down the line.

Thoughts on this? Any other editing software packages I should consider?

Thanks!
Old April 28th, 2007, 02:32 PM   #2
Major Player

Everyone is going to have their own opinions on which is best. It seems to me most people use FCP. I use Premiere but will probably switch to the Mac and FCP before it's all said and done.
Old April 28th, 2007, 04:02 PM   #3
Major Player

For what it's worth, Avid will generally try to pursued you to buy their higher end stuff to do certain things, that a native (non-dsp/special hardware) system could easily do. They do the same thing with their Digidesign division.

Vegas and Premiere will run on just about anything, with Vegas running on more systems and more efficiently.

Also check out NewTek SpeedEDIT. I saw a really impressive demonstration of it at NAB.. www.newtek.com/speededit
Unfortunately they don't have a good demonstration on their site, just a parody video, and there's no trial version. I did manage to find an installer file online with no serial number to activate it, so it runs as a 2 week trial. For some reason, NewTek doesn't make this available anymore, and I'm not sure why, since it only runs for 2 weeks, etc. I'm still trying to figure the program out, but the Storyboard feature is REALLY cool for rearranging clips, and it has a music video sync wizard which was really cool at the demo too.

Hope this helps,
Eric
Old April 28th, 2007, 08:14 PM   #4
Regular Crew

It's not wise to dedicate yourself to one specific NLE or any creative software for that matter. Rather, one should look at the things he/she wants to achieve with them. Editing programs are tools, nothing less, but also nothing more.

It's a bit like the people in the print world experience now. Back in 2000 Quarkx was the be-all and end-all of layout software. Today, the real development of that software has not been that impressive and now starts to be an obstacle rather than a facilitator to what people want to do with. That, and the cost of Quarkx, together with a new generation of designers growing up with other software, made that today Indesign is the best software in that field. But that can change very quickly.

The same goes for NLE software. Companies buy each other out, departments are being integrated, other priorities are being laid out, development seizes and people will move on to other software and/or hardware.

NLEs are also pretty much growing towards each other in terms of functionality and possibility, with Vegas differing a bit more, since they started from a different premisse when developing their software.

So, if you've got the basic skills that are important in editing i.e. knowing how to tell a story by cutting it, then any software should be good. It basically comes down to what you want to do, what your means are and what software fills both of these targets better than the rest.

Settling for one name just because it's the best NOW will only hamper your progress in future, which goes a bit against the underlying reason of your question, I think.
Old April 28th, 2007, 08:21 PM   #5
Obstreperous Rex

The "best" is what's best for *you.* Download the trial versions, give them a spin, and choose the one which most appeals to you. That's the only way to know for sure.

There is no "best," there's only "best for you," which might be different from other folks. The advantage for you is that we cover them all here at DV Info Net.

Search DV Info Net | 20 years of DVi | ...Tuesday is Soylent Green Day!
Closed Thread

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Open DV Discussion