Sony FX-1 or Panasonic DVX-100b? - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Open DV Discussion
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Open DV Discussion
For topics which don't fit into any of the other categories.

Old April 30th, 2007, 08:05 PM   #16
New Boot

So, I guess my question is this: How is the SD footage on the FX-1? Is it decent? Or is it so bad that I should just use this camcorder for HDV only?
Bart McCurdy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 30th, 2007, 08:14 PM   #17
Trustee

Even if it’s attached to the camcorder it’s still extra stuff that you have to carry with you.
I mean do you really want to add around an extra pound to the camcorder that you could have saved if you’ve gotten the XH-A1? To a lot of people these camcorders are heavy enough as is. Not to mention that using a beachtek rather than hooking up the XLR microphones straight to the camcorder won't sound as good. Also would you really want 2 microphones going into the same channel? You wouldn’t be able to fix the audio of one of the microphones in post if it was too high or low.

The FX1 cost 3,000 at B&H. The Beachtek DXA-FX is made specifically for the FX1 and it cost 310 dollars for a total of around 3,310 dollars all together. The XH-A1 is 3,250. You save 60 bucks for a camcorder that’s a whole lot better. There are cheaper Beachtek boxes but they aren’t as good as the DXA-FX.

Sorry that I had to mention the XH-A1 in this thread but I really believe you’ll be better off with the XH-A1 even if you can find an FX1 for a lot cheaper.

Last edited by Paulo Teixeira; May 1st, 2007 at 02:47 PM.
Paulo Teixeira is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 30th, 2007, 08:20 PM   #18
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bart McCurdy View Post
So, I guess my question is this: How is the SD footage on the FX-1? Is it decent? Or is it so bad that I should just use this camcorder for HDV only?
I didn’t see this post when I wrote my previous post.

Even though I have used a Z1u, I can’t really answer this because the FX1’s imagers are worse. It’s very subjective, some people may like the look of the FX1 compared to the 100b and vise-versa.

By the way, how much did you find the FX1 for?
Old April 30th, 2007, 09:41 PM   #19
New Boot

I actually don't own one yet, but I do have one cornered for $2300 with only 10 hours or so.
Bart McCurdy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 30th, 2007, 10:05 PM   #20
Trustee

"Even though I have used a Z1u, I can’t really answer this because the FX1’s imagers are worse."

They are the same chips. The Z1 and FX1 are sisters with the Z1 having more options and XLR inputs, but the lens, chips, LCD monitor, and deck are the same.

The FX1 is fine in DV mode, but there is almost no reason to ever shoot DV. The camera can down-convert HDV on-the-fly to SD. Shoot in HDV and downconvert. The downconverted footage looks better than most SD footage and the option for HD remains. The best SD footage comes from editing HDV and downconverting for the web of DVD as the very last step. It really looks quite good. Some footage I shot, but did not edit, almost fooled me when I watched it on the computer. I had to double-check the file to make sure it was an SD file.
Marcus Marchesseault is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 1st, 2007, 06:43 PM   #21
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bart McCurdy View Post
I actually don't own one yet, but I do have one cornered for $2300 with only 10 hours or so.
OK, that’s a pretty good price for the FX1 even though it’s been used for several hours.

If you’re really trying to get an FX1 then you could have also considered the FX7. It has a much greater zoom, much better picture with good lighting and to my knowledge; it has much more features than the FX1 including an HDMI output. The only drawback is that if you’re shooting in a place with very little lighting, the FX1 would be a bit better because of the bigger imagers. The price is 2,600 at B&H. It’s also about 25% lighter than the FX1.
If it was me choosing between the FX1 and the FX7, it would definitely be the FX7.
Still, you couldn’t go wrong with the 2,300 dollar price of the FX1 that you’re offered. Hopefully that camcorder is still under the warranty.
Old May 1st, 2007, 06:45 PM   #22
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcus Marchesseault View Post
"Even though I have used a Z1u, I can’t really answer this because the FX1’s imagers are worse."

They are the same chips. The Z1 and FX1 are sisters with the Z1 having more options and XLR inputs, but the lens, chips, LCD monitor, and deck are the same.
I earnestly don’t know why I wrote that.
Paulo Teixeira is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Open DV Discussion