HMC-40 at Festival of Lights parade at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Panasonic P2HD / AVCCAM / AVCHD / DV Camera Systems > Panasonic AVCCAM Camcorders
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Panasonic AVCCAM Camcorders
AVCHD for pro applications: AG-AC160, AC130 and other AVCCAM gear.

Old December 6th, 2009, 09:57 AM   #1
Regular Crew

HMC-40 at Festival of Lights parade

Here's an example of how the HMC-40 fares at night with the gain cranked up to 24. Shot in 1080/60i. The only clip I (minimally) post-processed was the one of the high school marching band.

Videos: PSL Festival of Lights parade - Treasure Coast, FL | TCPalm.com
Sherri Nestico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 6th, 2009, 06:03 PM   #2
Inner Circle

Hi Sherri

Great content!! You guys have such colourful parades!!! The cam handled it well. I think we often worry about content being too dark but it's night-time!!!! If footage is lightened it loses the nightime appeal!!

Great work !! Your little camera is certainly working hard!!!

Chris
Chris Harding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 11th, 2009, 03:55 AM   #3
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sherri Nestico View Post
Here's an example of how the HMC-40 fares at night with the gain cranked up to 24. Shot in 1080/60i. The only clip I (minimally) post-processed was the one of the high school marching band...

I noticed lots of strobes/flashing lights. Did you notice any anomalies in the raw footage caused by the rapid flashing lights? (See, e.g., File:Lightning rolling shutter.jpg - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia, or http://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-vi...tml#post654090)
Lee Small is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 11th, 2009, 04:54 PM   #4
Inner Circle

Hi Lee

I have watched a huge batch of HMC40 clips from both Sherri and Dan and it seems that CMOS chips are getting better, The HV20's were terrible with both lights, strobes and image skew but it seems that technology is improving for prosumer chips!!

The only abnormality I have seen so far is the weird effects that occur with any patterned objects that are moving. Vehicle wheels tend to look strange and aircraft props too!! Things like the traditional white picket fence filmed from a vehicle seems to confuse the sensor. I suspect if the timing is right, photo flash will cause a shutter bar if the timing is right but Panny already have a firmware fix for that.

Chris
Chris Harding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 11th, 2009, 07:35 PM   #5
Regular Crew

Hi guys,

No, I didn't see anything out of the ordinary when I was going through my clips for the parade video. I had about an hour of footage. I was delighted that the camera did as well as it did with such a high gain setting.

Tomorrow's assignment is indoors - a cat show at one of our local fairgrounds. I've not shot 100 percent indoors with the HMC-40 yet so it should to be a good learning experience. I have the Comer 900 and 1800 light kits in case I need either one. I am also wondering if I should switch to a different scene file setting for indoors. Any thoughts?

Luckily, I am a cat person, so this should be fun. Breed judging can be downright hilarious, depending on the mood of the felines. And, of course, the cat owners are usually pretty entertaining themselves. I can't wait.
Sherri Nestico is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Panasonic P2HD / AVCCAM / AVCHD / DV Camera Systems > Panasonic AVCCAM Camcorders