HMC40 has arrived! at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Panasonic P2HD / AVCCAM / AVCHD / DV Camera Systems > Panasonic AVCCAM Camcorders
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Panasonic AVCCAM Camcorders
AVCHD for pro applications: AG-AC160, AC130 and other AVCCAM gear.

Old February 26th, 2010, 08:41 PM   #1
Regular Crew

HMC40 has arrived!

So I finally got my HMC40 and have played with it a little bit so far. I dig it, it's lightweight, which I like, although I know some people don't. It's pretty intuitive, even though a ton of the options are menu driven, it's not a terrible menu setup. I didn't like that the manual that comes with it, is a quick start guide of sorts, and that the full one is a PDF, however, I guess I'll get used to that.

As of now, I'm waiting for a new processor to come in and some more ram so I can install Win 7 and CS4 to start editing. Also I think I'll be picking up CineForm NeoScene as well.

There were mentions of free Panasonic software for converting files and such but their site didn't seem to have it under their software stuff, does anyone have a link? Also, the Eidus Neo 2 software it comes with seems to be a full version, is it a pretty nifty program? I've never even heard of it.

Other than that I'll get to reading the manual and come up with any questions it may not answer. If anyone has some quick tips or tricks tehy wanna toss out there, I'd love to hear them.

Here's a quick iPhone shot of it on the Manfrotto sticks I got as well.
http://imgur.com/2Ly7O.jpg

Just wanted to share, cheers,
Paul
Paul Digges is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 26th, 2010, 08:54 PM   #2
Trustee

The transcoder you want is probably here: https://eww.pavc.panasonic.co.jp/pro...e/download.htm

You are eligible to upgrade Neo 2 to Neo 2 (v2.5) Booster Edition. Both the Booster Edition CD and the serial for it can be requested once you have registered on the PASS site: https://eww.pavc.panasonic.co.jp/pro...rt/cs/opkey_e/
Graham Hickling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 26th, 2010, 09:07 PM   #3
Regular Crew

Got it, thanks Graham! Also registered for PASS. Talk about a convoluted site however, all the auto window resizing is nuts haha.
Old February 27th, 2010, 11:20 AM   #4
Regular Crew

Is there a list anywhere of what the specific scene file settings each do? Some are self explanatory, others not so much. The manual only says where to set them up at...
Old February 27th, 2010, 01:27 PM   #5
Trustee

This is for the HMC150 but generally applies: http://www.dvinfo.net/forum/attachme...e-file-doc.pdf
Old February 27th, 2010, 08:06 PM   #6
Regular Crew

Graham, you're a lifesaver, thanks tons!
Old March 1st, 2010, 06:53 PM   #7
Tourist

You might also check out Xilisoft Video Converter, DVD Ripper, 3GP,PSP,iPod video converter, AVI to DVD. I find it much easier to use, cheaper and a better product than Neo Scene.
Dan Moricoli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 1st, 2010, 07:56 PM   #8
Trustee

Neoscene is at its core a high quality intermediate codec. The Xilisoft Converter is ... a converter. Apples and oranges.
Old March 1st, 2010, 09:38 PM   #9
Major Player

Hello Paul,

Congratulations on your new HMC40. I know it'll give you many hours of quality video.

After you upgrade your PC ram and memory, you will not need to convert your AVCHD files. Neo 2 or Vegas Pro 9 will allow editing AVCHD files natively.
Dan Carter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 3rd, 2010, 01:33 PM   #10
Regular Crew

Thanks guys,

PC upgrade is next on the list as I have an Mobo sitting here, a core i7 in the mail, and RAM to be ordered.

Here's a quick little pan&tilt test vid I did in my room to see exactly how CMOS looks compared to CCD. Overall I'm pretty please, however, the first shot has some separation along the horizontal axis near the bottom, is that normal, because it doesn't happen in any of the other pans? You'll definitely want to watch it in HD on their site as well. I need to upgrade to Plus now so I can enable HD embedding.

Old March 4th, 2010, 03:26 PM   #11
Regular Crew

Si I read that Panasonic guide to Scene Files, and that was pretty helpful. I'll definitely be messing around with some scene file looks so I'll be sure to post them up here if I find anything that seems nice and striking.
Old March 4th, 2010, 09:06 PM   #12
Regular Crew

Low Light???

Hi Paul!

I just got my HMC40 last week. Like the camera so far, just SHOCKED at how poor it seems to fare in indoor light without gain. In a room I would consider to be well lit it still looks incredibly dim.

On the Flip side, I'm SHOCKED at how well the camera will add gain with little noise! My Sony HVR-HD1000U (multi-year winner at the annual "Grainy Pictures" Awards) is horrible with noise in anything but outdoor sun.

What's your opinion?
Marc S. Brown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 5th, 2010, 09:00 AM   #13
Regular Crew

I agree, I also don't like that you can't adjust gain and Iris independently. I think I shot that video at like +12, on an XL2 +12 is pretty nasty.

I've yet to get a chance to take it outdoors and shoot anything there. Hopefully soon though.

So far though I like pretty much everything about the camera.
Old March 6th, 2010, 11:45 AM   #14
Major Player

Depending on your machine specs, you may not need a program like Neoscene or the Panasonic transcoder. A quad core or above should handle the .MTS files natively. If however you need to convert, I use this program with much success. It takes about a 30% load off of the processor.

NewBlue AVCHD Upshift | Batch convert your AVCHD files into standard .M2T files.
Brian Tori is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Panasonic P2HD / AVCCAM / AVCHD / DV Camera Systems > Panasonic AVCCAM Camcorders