Offloading SD cards in the field at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Panasonic P2HD / AVCCAM / AVCHD / DV Camera Systems > Panasonic AVCCAM Camcorders
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Panasonic AVCCAM Camcorders
AVCHD for pro applications: AG-AC160, AC130 and other AVCCAM gear.

Old May 5th, 2010, 12:56 PM   #1
Trustee

Offloading SD cards in the field

I'm about to move from a tape workflow to SD cards. For years my only option has been to simply have a good supply of tapes with me. Do any of you use a portable data storage solution? I've looked at Jobo and Wolverine, but those all seem set up for photos and can't find any info if they work specifically for video. I've also considered getting a Dell Mini 10 netbook. Considering you can buy them for under $200 refurbished, that seems like it might be a way to go.
Chris Davis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 5th, 2010, 01:43 PM   #2
Regular Crew

Nexto

I use the Nexto NVS2500, which may be pricey, but it works perfectly. They do have a number of less expensive offload options as well.
Stephen Mick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 6th, 2010, 08:58 AM   #3
Regular Crew

Another possible solution is the Netbook Computer. Many even have a built-in card slot for SD/SDHC cards.

Bob Diaz
Bob Diaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 6th, 2010, 11:16 AM   #4
Trustee

I'm kind of leaning toward the netbook. Dell regularly has 20% off their outlet stock, which would get me a Mini 10 with a 160GB drive for about $190 plus tax.

Has anyone tried to review AVCHD footage on a netbook? Does it work alright?
Chris Davis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 14th, 2010, 04:56 AM   #5
Trustee

For the price of a decent off-loading device you could buy more memory cards instead.

I never ever reformat/reuse a memory card in the field unless I have at least TWO backups already. I've lost too many hard disks over the years to rely on just one copy of data. In fact I don't even look at the footage until I have the two backups completed.

If you need to do off-loading in the field you need to look at a laptop / netbook AND an external hard disks to copy to as well (so you have one copy on the laptop and an extra copy on the hard disk which you then unplug).

The only exception to this is where you are shooting stuff you don't care about or can easily reshoot at no cost if the backup device fails.
Old May 14th, 2010, 08:58 AM   #6
Major Player

Forget off-loading in the field, and just buy more SDHC cards:

I use a Pelican SDHC card storage case ( small, water-resistant, indestructible ) which I store four 32GB Patriot IRIS cards in, which gives me 12 hours of shooting time at full res. ( I could add 4 more cards to make it 24 hours of shooting time )

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/528642-REG/Pelican_0910_010_110_0910_Memory_Card_Case.html

Patriot Iris 32GB SDHC Flash Card
Guy McLoughlin is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Panasonic P2HD / AVCCAM / AVCHD / DV Camera Systems > Panasonic AVCCAM Camcorders