wireless headphones at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Panasonic P2HD / AVCCAM / AVCHD / DV Camera Systems > Panasonic AVCCAM Camcorders

Panasonic AVCCAM Camcorders
AVCHD for pro applications: AG-AC160, AC130 and other AVCCAM gear.

Old November 9th, 2010, 03:41 PM   #1
Trustee

wireless headphones

Since the HMC-150 doesnt have a "live speaker" I find myself going back to headphones which are cumbersome. Has anybody tried using a "wireless" bluetooth head phone on their camera? Or am I thinking too far out of the box?
Randy Johnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 9th, 2010, 03:52 PM   #2
Major Player

Too far out of the box for me. I need an over-the-ear headphone in the field or I can't hear well enough. I'm using the dumb old Sony MDR-7506 like so many others. Cumbersome? Maybe. But it works so well...
Bruce Watson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 9th, 2010, 05:02 PM   #3
Inner Circle

Hi Randy

At weddings I'm shooting with two cameras and yes it IS a pain to have to keep going back to the tripod mounted camera and grabbing the headphones to check the audio now and again!! With dual tally lights on the cameras I can easily check that it's still running by simply looking at the camera but it would really be great to have a remote earphone (I say earphone cos with shoulder mount cameras the normal twin phones get in the way on the right side!!) I wonder if anyone has tried infrared??? As long as you can see the second camera you should be able to get an IR signal back to cordless phones????

I was looking carefully at BlueTooth as well but does anyone know if it might clash with normal radio mics or even the venue's wireless system???? Hmmmm maybe it's worth looking for a small neat IR headphone setup (you could also make a short sorta vertical mount to get the IR transmitter up higher )

Anyone else used cordless phones on cameras???? I'd love some info too!!!!

Chris
Chris Harding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 9th, 2010, 05:27 PM   #4
Inner Circle

Ok, I wonder if this might work??

They are called BlueTooth Audio Dongle Transmitters on eBay and just have a 3.5mm plug that goes into your headphone jack on the camera and has a range of 33' which should be enough????

You obvious also need to get any BlueTooth cordless headphones so you can hear the audio !!! Over here they are listed from China for $22.00 and have a built-in Lithium Battery and comes with a charger.

Chris
Attached Thumbnails
wireless headphones-btxmitter.jpg  
Old November 9th, 2010, 07:31 PM   #5
Trustee

Yeah I found those after I posted. In theory they should work partly to monitor sound when your away from the camera and partly to clean up the wires you have to play with. With reference to your post Bruce I agree with wanting noise canceling headphones. There are these

and others like them some with larger muffs too.
Old November 10th, 2010, 05:09 PM   #6
Inner Circle

Hi Randy

Any idea if these little transmitters would interfere with either the camera electronics or being used in conjunction with either VHF or UHF radio mics??? I know that they work way up in the GHz range but quite often I find that cell phones cause me grief during shoots so I was wondering if anyone has had issues with bluetooth interference???

For a mere $20 I guess doing a "dummy shoot" (non critical one) so make sure the BT signals don't cause any issues would be a good idea???

Chris
Old November 10th, 2010, 08:59 PM   #7
Trustee

I dont think they would interfere because its a whole different system (bluetooth VS RF) but you never know The biggest issue is if the Bluetooth TX is on the camera and the Wireless RX is also on the camera you never know when things are that close. I am going to give it a shot I like this one.

Small light & no wires.
It may even work with my cell phone headset, even if it doesnt I dont mind spending $70 on a good wireless headset.
Old November 11th, 2010, 07:24 AM   #8
Inner Circle

Hi Randy

We had an eBay shop here with the transmitters so I have bought one plus a BlueTooth headset ...!!
My total outlay was $55.00 so if it fails miserably I haven't wasted a lot of money!! However because I'm using a shoulder mount cam as my "B" camera I got a headset with just one side active otherwise the earpiece on the camera side clashes with the camera body. I try that but looking further maybe the smaller headsets might work (that go behind your neck)

Anyway, once it gets here I'll rig it up with two radio mics running and let you know the results!!

Also let us know how your one does??? (If you decide to get it???)

Chris
Old November 15th, 2010, 09:58 PM   #9
Trustee

I ordered my reciever i'll let you know how it goes.
Old November 16th, 2010, 05:27 AM   #10
Inner Circle

Thanks Randy

It will be good to compare notes!!

Mine was shipped on Thursday and still hasn't arrived. It takes longer for packages to go from our East to West Coasts than it takes to get an international item from Hing Kong or China!!

Hopefully tomorrow but packages often take a week!!! Must be dragging it across the outback on an old cart pulled by a camel!!! I bought another Weifeng tripod from China last week and it was at my door in 3 days!!!

Chris
Old November 17th, 2010, 07:46 AM   #11
Inner Circle

Hi Randy

I got my setup today and it appears that the dongle won't pair with the headset!!! The supplier has asked me to send it back and he will replace it. More waiting time now!!

He has assured me that they do work so when the new one arrives I'll give it another try!!

Chris
Old November 21st, 2010, 11:22 PM   #12
Trustee

I got mine and I did the worse thing I could do I tested on the job. but it actually works!! and works pretty well at first I tried pairing the unit with my new fancy discovery plantronics handsfree but it didnt work so I thought I was done so out of desperation I tested it with my old bluetooth hands free (motorolla I think) and it worked BUT I only got one channel and it sounded low and awefull but it was a handsfree not a wireless headphone so today I went out and bought a rocket fish wireless bluetooth headset from best buy for like $60 USD and its loud enough and stereo and sounds damn good. The only problem is its a little too small for my big head:).
Old November 22nd, 2010, 02:03 AM   #13
Inner Circle

Hey Randy

You too???? The headset I got is really tiny!!! I will also look for a decent sized one next!! I want to check first that my audio dongle actually works before I go out and spend more money on another headset.

I assume that the BT doesn't clash with any other audio on the camera???? Is the audio as pristine as it is with normal headphones???

I'll let you know my results once I get the replacement dongle.

Actually IR headphones have a pretty good range and I'm pretty much always in view of my camera so I might even check out an IR connection and clip the IR transmitter on the camera handle.

Chris
Old November 22nd, 2010, 01:45 PM   #14
Trustee

The sound is better with my new BT headset (made for music) than my old ear buds it doesnt seem to interfere with the wireless or camera audio BUT there is a 1 second delay. thats no big deal for me I am just using it for wireless confidence during a ceremony and sometimes at the reception.
Old November 22nd, 2010, 02:03 PM   #15
Inner Circle

you can find digital audio transmitter for cheap and they are way better than bluetooth audio.
it is a real pain to find them (don't know why ) but they are great.
you will need a cheap earphone boosted since the receiver delivers only line level and is not suitable for direct monitoring.

2.4GHz Digital Wireless Audio Transceiver (SOYO-WT24G01) - China Wireless Speaker, Wireless Headphone, Wireless Mp3 in Karaoke Player

this earphone booster is really great, with rechargeable battery included.
FiiO E5 3.5mm Earphone Volume Booster Power Amplifier - eBay (item 260556579380 end time Dec-17-10 03:34:28 PST)
Giroud Francois is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Panasonic P2HD / AVCCAM / AVCHD / DV Camera Systems > Panasonic AVCCAM Camcorders