Low Light Lens for AG-AF100 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Panasonic P2HD / AVCCAM / AVCHD / DV Camera Systems > Panasonic AVCCAM Camcorders

Panasonic AVCCAM Camcorders
AVCHD for pro applications: AG-AC160, AC130 and other AVCCAM gear.

Old January 25th, 2011, 01:03 PM   #1
New Boot

Low Light Lens for AG-AF100

Thank you in advance for your reply. I appreciate all input.

I'm in the process purchasing equipment for my 2nd film. Whooo hooo!!!

Here's what I have in the way of lenses for the camera:

1. Panasonic Lumix G Vario 7-14mm f/4.0 ASPH. Lens - Micro Four Thirds Format
2. Panasonic Lumix G Vario HD 14-140mm f/4.0-5.8 ASPH./MEGA O.I.S.

Both of these seem to do great in well lit environments.

However, I would also like something I can use to shoot low light situations. Does anyone know of a low cost (below $700) lens that will work the the AG-AF100, and still give me the ability to do "auto focus"?

Fixed or zoom. If fixed, I guess I would need something like a 20mm and a 35mm and maybe 50mm.
Sean Cloutier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 25th, 2011, 03:48 PM   #2
Trustee

Sorry, I can recommend many fast manual focus lenses, but I don't use many autofocus lenses.
Old January 25th, 2011, 09:33 PM   #3
Sponsor: Westside AV

It does not have anything auto, not a problem in my mind, and it almost fits your budget.

The Voightlander 25mm f.95.

Mine is on order, I think it will become one of my favorites.
Old January 26th, 2011, 12:08 PM   #4
New Boot

Awesome! Thanks for the feedback. I'll check it out.

btw. Did you have to buy an adapter for the lens? If so, what kind?
Old January 26th, 2011, 12:19 PM   #5
Sponsor: Westside AV

No the Voightlander is a MFT lens.

Here are 2 dealers:

The Photo Village :: Cameras & Photo Gear :: Digital & 35mm Film Cameras :: 35mm Film Cameras :: Voigtlander 35mm System :: Voigtlander Rangefinder Cameras :: Lenses & Accessories :: Lenses :: Voigtlander 25mm f/0.95 Nokton -- Micro 4/3 Mount

Voigtlander M43
Old January 26th, 2011, 03:02 PM   #6
Regular Crew

The Panny 20mm 1.7 is great for low light and is PUSH to autofocus capable. Also, NORMAL autofocus on the AF100 is nearly useless. If you're in a hurry use PUSH, if your not work manual, I never trust autofocus.
Andrew Allsbury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 27th, 2011, 06:11 PM   #7
New Boot

"Panny 20mm 1.7" its now on my equipment wish list. Thank you for the input!
Old January 28th, 2011, 05:19 AM   #8
Inner Circle

For around the same price there is also the Panasonic 14mm f2.5 Lumix G Lens & for around 3-4x the price the Panasonic 25mm f1.4 Leica D Summilux although the 14mm isn't on the list of compatible lenses Lens Compatibility | AG-AF100 series | Panasonic
Nigel Barker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 28th, 2011, 06:29 PM   #9
New Boot

What I posted earlier on another forum:

I shot a charity event last night using the 25mm f/0.95 Nokton, some crowd shots, some runway shots, lots of BTS makeup/hair shots. The camera + lens combo was a joy to use. I shot wide open most of the time, only using aperture to tweak exposure, never more than three clicks. The makeup room was bright, so ISO200 + ND1 worked great there. The hair room was a little darker, so ND0/clear worked great there. The main floor was somewhat dark, so ISO1000 worked great there. Once the lights dimmed, or when I was shooting behind the 'curtain', where the light was at a minimum, ISO3200 looked like my own vision, which was pretty remarkable.

My 2nd most favorite lens (after the 200mm f/2 L IS) on a 5DII is the 85mm f/1.2 L II. I love that thing. The Nokton beats it, not just because of the extra light it gathers (umm, is it a full stop between f/0.95 and f/1.2? More?), but because it has a comparatively ridiculous minimum focusing distance: ~3" spanks the hell out of ~37". I also love the buttery focusing ring on the Nokton, and although the electronic ring on the 85 is nice, it's nowhere near as nice.

So guess what, I'm getting rid of my T2i, and probably one of my 5DII's, to get a GH2 just so I can put this lens on it.

This is absolutely a must-have lens on a m43 body.
Michael Kadlubkiewicz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 29th, 2011, 07:47 AM   #10
Major Player

I got the 20 f1.7 for a start while waiting for my adators. Very capable lens for the price. Looks like a camera without a lens when you use it though.

I just got my adaptor for my Olympus Zuiko 14-35mm F2 lens and it seems to be very good, sharp and fast.
It does however make quite a bit of noise when changing the aperture, I wonder if this is normal or something wrong with my lens.

I also tried my Canon FD lenses. Specially like the 50mm f1.4. The 100 f2 seems nice to

The Oly zoom is the fastest zoom lens at the market right now, thet also have a 35-100mm, but it was not in stock
Joachim Hoge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 1st, 2011, 02:03 PM   #11
New Boot

You guys are freaking awesome! All excellent feedback. Thanks again!
Old February 1st, 2011, 04:30 PM   #12
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Olof Ekbergh View Post
It does not have anything auto, not a problem in my mind, and it almost fits your budget.

The Voightlander 25mm f.95.

Mine is on order, I think it will become one of my favorites.
Unfortunately you cannot find a Voigtlander 25mm F0.95 Nokton for love nor money. I contacted the UK importer who is taking orders with payment in full up front for delivery late February or Early March. There are one or two on eBay selling at a few hundred over the regular price of $899.

Voigtlander Nokton 25mm f/0.95 Lens - Micro 4/3 GH2 GF2 - eBay (item 110641972123 end time Feb-01-11 15:00:39 PST)
Nigel Barker is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Panasonic P2HD / AVCCAM / AVCHD / DV Camera Systems > Panasonic AVCCAM Camcorders