Spots Wont Go Away at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Panasonic P2HD / AVCCAM / AVCHD / DV Camera Systems > Panasonic AVCCAM Camcorders
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Panasonic AVCCAM Camcorders
AVCHD for pro applications: AG-AC160, AC130 and other AVCCAM gear.

Old June 22nd, 2012, 11:52 AM   #1
New Boot

Spots Wont Go Away

Hi this is my first post. So, an issue I've been having with my HMC150. I had to finally clean my lenses for the first time after shooting a documentary at a blues festival. Like a fool I tried to stick my camera right overhanging a giant crawfish boiler, you know, for "total coverage?" Right away my lens steamed up (not fogged - steamed)

so...

I bought "Giottos Professional Multi Optical Cleansing Solution" with the Giottos cleaning kit. I used the micro fiber cloth and even watched 4 or 5 youtubes of guys cleaning lenses differently. Anyway I got all the residue off my lens, but there are these spots that wont go away.

552968_4253185698611_528988259_n | Flickr - Photo Sharing!

Any idea why I can't get these spots off or how it can be fixed?
Chris Cawley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 22nd, 2012, 03:41 PM   #2
Trustee

Re: Spots Wont Go Away

I have the uncomfortable feeling the "spots" may be permanent damage to the lens coating, rather than foreign material on the lens....I've seen it happen.... :(
Battle Vaughan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 22nd, 2012, 05:42 PM   #3
Inner Circle

Location: Vancouver, British Columbia (formerly Winnipeg, Manitoba) Canada

I'm with Battle on this one. Take it to a shop and I suspect they will confirm that lens is done.
Old June 23rd, 2012, 05:42 AM   #4
Inner Circle

I'm in agreement. I have a WA attachment lens for my Sonys that has a "spot" that rears it's ugly head in certain lighting conditions and it's always right in a critical position of the shot. I think it got steamed some years ago but frankly I can't say for sure.
Lenses are delicate things and any number of things can eat them up. Take it to a shop for a professional look see but I don't think you're going to like what you hear. BTW, I clean my glass before every job. Using proper tools you can't hurt it.
Old June 23rd, 2012, 02:58 PM   #5
New Boot

Crap, I was afraid of something like that. Thank you all for your replies. Luckily it doesn't noticeably affect the image. I just finished a gig last night, recording a live show and I didn't notice anything while monitoring.

Hopefully I can get to a shop soon and have them check it out. I'll post their diagnosis/price/etc.
Old June 23rd, 2012, 03:24 PM   #6
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Cawley View Post
Hopefully I can get to a shop soon and have them check it out. I'll post their diagnosis/price/etc.
I guess the spots are inside the lens rather than on the outside surface. I would suggest shooting some careful test video before having the camera serviced. It would be interesting to hear what a shop recommends.
Eric Olson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 28th, 2012, 10:25 AM   #7
Equal Opportunity Offender

Might also be a fungal growth of some sort. Will be interesting to see what the shop has to say.

Andrew
Andrew Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 6th, 2012, 09:33 PM   #8
New Boot

To be honest I never took it into a shop. It was one of those things where I knew what he was gonna say - either "get a new lens" or "deal with it." I wish I wasn't so lazy and I could fulfill this thread, but this will be a reminder to me that I have spots on my lens. It's weird cause I just don't notice it. I've been filming my newborn son every week and I can't tell at all that they're there, like not even editing - nothing. So, mystery spots then.
Old December 6th, 2012, 10:00 PM   #9
Equal Opportunity Offender

Might even have been some sort of non-water residue that simply took much longer to evaporate away.

Andrew
Andrew Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 7th, 2012, 03:50 PM   #10
Inner Circle

Years ago a Nat Geo photographer told me, 'all lens need to see daylight for a few hours once a month.'

Try placing the lens on a window ledge facing the warm sun for a few days.

Cheers.
Old December 7th, 2012, 04:26 PM   #11
Obstreperous Rex

Moved from Open DV to Panasonic AVCCAM.

Search DV Info Net | 20 years of DVi | ...Tuesday is Soylent Green Day!
Chris Hurd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 7th, 2012, 07:48 PM   #12
Regular Crew

would that same thing happen if the lens had a protective filter on it? (maybe it did have one on, not sure.) anyway i'm curious as to whether a filter would've protected the lens from steam.
Roberto Diaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 9th, 2012, 06:23 AM   #13
Major Player

You may find it is quite affordable to have the front element of the lens replaced. But try an independent service center before Panasonic direct. I've done this with Canon dSLR lenses.

Meanwhile, yes its surprising how much gunge you can have on the front element before it actually shows :- ) Steam or condensation however quickly reduces the contrast.

Pete
Peter Riding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 14th, 2012, 09:07 AM   #14
New Boot

Perhaps the heat from the boiler has affected the coating on your lens, or some of the steam/fog entered the inside of the lens, and dried there as a spot? I had something similar happen to me, and it was definitely on the inside of the lens. Couldn't tell when zoomed out, and wide open iris, but during bright, sunny days, it reared its ugly spot.
Manny Felarca is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Panasonic P2HD / AVCCAM / AVCHD / DV Camera Systems > Panasonic AVCCAM Camcorders