Panasonic ag ac90 - Uk customer delays - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Panasonic P2HD / AVCCAM / AVCHD / DV Camera Systems > Panasonic AVCCAM Camcorders

Panasonic AVCCAM Camcorders
AVCHD for pro applications: AG-AC160, AC130 and other AVCCAM gear.

Old February 6th, 2013, 05:16 AM   #16
Inner Circle

Re: Panasonic ag ac90 - Uk customer delays

Hi Phil

The cameras both do a good job but it depends on you usage before you classify them...The AC-130 is a brilliant camera for Mike but totally useless for me as I'm a solo shooter juggling multi cameras so with no operator it simply doesn't work but the AC-90 does work ..you can put it on auto and walk away ..On my 130's I dared not even think about auto mode. The AC-130 AF drifts very badly in auto but is rock solid in manual and a brilliant sharp lens too. Auto exposure with the 130 is NOT advised..it has a tiny iris range and doesn't change shutter so if a cloud breaks and the sun shines thru you have to manually change ND filters otherwise your image is just blown out.

To be honest the ONLY reason I didn't get two AC-90's was there is no auto level control on the XLR channels and I need that during wedding receptions when ambient levels vary a lot...otherwise I would have already had two of the cameras instead of the much more expensive Sony EA-50's (almost double actually) Then again the Sony has a huge number of extra features that I really wanted and it's a shoulder mount too. The form factor was my main choice reason as I have been a Panny person for the last 20 years!!

The chips in the 90 are 1/4.7" and in the 130 they are 1/3" (however the 90 chips are backlit so they are good!!) Yes, as Mike says the 130 lens is a big bugger!! and a HUGE zoom too. I must admit I didn't like the audio section of the 130's at all ...the clipping is very harsh so don't use the limiter at all if you can help it on your AC-90

You will be very pleased with the 90!!!

Chris
Chris Harding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 6th, 2013, 07:16 AM   #17
Trustee

Like Chris said. Plus, steam trains are easier for me cope with than brides. Much more predictable!

I normally record separate audio, only using on-cam audio for certain circumstances. I just use a Rycote S Series set-up with an AT875R feeding into a Tascam recorder.I love the way it will record two versions of the same audio, one at -12dB, which is great for unexpectedly loud happenings.

I try not to neglect the on-camera audio either, it has dug me out of a hole once or twice when something bad happened to the separate audio. I'll be putting an AT875R on the AC130, and putting a new mic into the Rycote.

My model is also an AC130A, so allegedly it is slightly than the original AC130 Chris had (newer firmware, turbo push focus, but still the chance of auto-focus drift). Still, I usually work in full manual, at least for focus, and I don't have to run multiple cameras...

Conversely, Chris would be busier than a one-legged an at an a*se-kicking contest if he tried to do that!
Mike Beckett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 6th, 2013, 09:00 AM   #18
Inner Circle

Hi Mike

Like I said they were a magic pair of cameras without any major issues..they simply didn't suit my style of shooting. Mind you with one on the tripod and one on the shoulder (I built shoulder mounts for them) it was somewhat tricky to manage the pair. At wedding scenarios where you are in constantly changing light conditions I found I was switching ND's in and out at an alarming rate to the extent where I was waiting for the shaft knob to eventually break off. In constant lighting they work a treat ..I just wish that they had coupled shutter speed with the iris so the cam in auto iris would have changed shutter when the lighting changed ...ND's manually switched in cause a flash as the filter drops in or out and that isn't too nice at a wedding ceremony and the button procedure to change shutter manually was way too complex.

That lens is quite awesome though!! I never had to use 23X at a wedding but it has an amazing range indeed!! Dunno about you but if you feel the default scence file (F1) is very wishy washy ..I thought the colour saturation was very low on F1

Give the cam a whirl using the F3 scene file..it's called SPARK and gives a nice picture overall!! Oddly enough the Picture Profile on the Sony is called PP3 and matches my Panny HMC82's very nicely and the images are also great overall ....I think the F1 setting is designed to be very flat anyway so don't worry if your initial shots look crappy ..just jump to F3 and they will shine!

Chris
Old February 6th, 2013, 12:22 PM   #19
Trustee

Thanks Chris...I suppose this is really a separate thread, but I'd been quietly following the discussions on The Other Forum, while wishing I had one of those.

It's similar in operation to my old Sony V1E, which had almost the same controls (albeit an exposure wheel rather than a ring on the lens barrel). The one thing I'll not miss is that worry about having to remove the lens hood, remove one filter, attach another, reattach lens hood, re-expose... then something changes and I'm left wondering whether or not to repeat the above. Another thing about the smaller cams (HMC41 and Sony NX70) was the single ring on the lens that you switched between different functions. That's just not fun.

Not long to go now... one more sleep until my belated Christmas!

Last edited by Mike Beckett; February 6th, 2013 at 02:17 PM.
Old February 6th, 2013, 03:12 PM   #20
Regular Crew

Guys you completely lost me on the last few entries but t sounds exciting stuff, especially how your ways of working and some problems encountered and overcome.. It's a new level for me to be sure

Btw, my girlfriend offered my services to record her best friends wedding in Spain (as a present of course!!!), I was thinking of taking the tm900 or ac-90, manfrotto monopod, the H4n ( plus I'm going to take your advice and get the AT875r) etc.. But I like my konova slider, although its 4ft long... Can you recommend a small slider to take ?

Thik it's a pretty picturesque venue so thought t would be good experience
Phil Gadd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 6th, 2013, 03:25 PM   #21
Trustee

Phil,

I mentioned an alternative in the wedding forum. I'm sure it's not cheap! Lucky you don't have the AC-90 yet, this way you can travel a bit lighter.

Chris,

One other thing, the AC130A adds better focus assist compared to the original AC130. It's hard to tell from the cryptic manual, but I think you get a few more options with that.
Old February 6th, 2013, 03:58 PM   #22
Regular Crew

Thanks mike, that looks brilliant, bit more money than what I wanted to spend but love the idea (if it works as easy as hat)
Old February 6th, 2013, 06:55 PM   #23
Inner Circle

Hi Phil

Ignore the slightly off topic comments...For the moment just use the AC-90 in full auto until you get used to all the controls. Wedding wise the only suggestion that I would make for now is if you are using the camera static for the wedding ceremony, once the autofocus has locked onto the couple, switch it to manual so it cannot decide to maybe focus on something different behind them ...once you go handheld again flick the switch back to auto and enjoy the wedding shoot..the AC-90 will look after you well!!

Chris
Old February 7th, 2013, 02:15 PM   #24
Trustee

As another aside (sorry!) with the arrival of my AC130A, I am a very happy and slightly awe-struck little boy at the moment.

First impressions are "wow"!
Old February 7th, 2013, 03:16 PM   #25
Regular Crew

I would love to say I dont want an AC130a BUT i do and I don't even now why..

BUT I chose to buy a new 27" iMac fully loaded for £2500 so I can post edit like superman... Hence I am going to have to wait for this Little gem :-/
Old February 11th, 2013, 11:02 AM   #26
Regular Crew

Finally got an expected delivery date into panasonic UK for 22nd feb, so I expect creativevideo to get it to me by around 27th feb... cant wait.

Does anyone know why NTSC and PAL have not now merged, I would love to shoot some 60p slow motion stuff but for some reason we are restricted to 50p :-(
Old February 16th, 2013, 08:59 AM   #27
New Boot

I ordered mine at CVP on Feb 13th and got a mail the next day saying the expected shipping date would be the 26th. I sure am looking forward to it :-)

This will be my first semipro camera after using only consumer cams until now, and borrowing a Sony NX5 for a week in 2011. Since then I've been watching the market every couple months and wishing for an affordable semipro under 2000€... and now finally my wish has come true :-)

EDIT: Right now I'm looking for a suitable external microphone with XLR plug that will fit the camera holder (21mm/0.83") but is also usable on a boompole. The original Panasonic accessory AG-MC200G I find too expensive, and I though it would be easy to find a 100€ replacement, but after a while on CVP and Ebay I'm not so sure anymore...

EDIT2: I guess I'll go with this one and hope it's not complete junk ;-) together with a Rode Boompole 3m
http://www.ebay.de/itm/121028090964

Last edited by Ethan Arnold; February 16th, 2013 at 11:17 AM.
Ethan Arnold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 16th, 2013, 03:41 PM   #28
Regular Crew

several members recommended this one to me so i bought it:

A BRAND NEW AUDIO TECHNICA AT875R MICROPHONE on eBay!

PS I ordered mine on 2nd feb and not getting till the 25th so you have done well there Ethan :-)
Old February 17th, 2013, 05:47 AM   #29
New Boot

Hi Phil,

thanks for the tip, looks pretty good except for the freq.range starting at 90Hz... I'd be worried that would be noticable - I see other mics going down to 50,30 or even 20Hz. But they are a little longer, e.g. the Rode NTG-1 having 217mm, but I think thats still acceptable for a camera mike that will also be used on a pole. It's a little more expensive (124 EUR plus VAT compared to 116 EUR incl. VAT) too. Also the NTG-1 is 22mm diameter, 1mm too fat... I wonder if it will still fit into the holder?

regards,
Ethan

Last edited by Ethan Arnold; February 17th, 2013 at 06:20 AM.
Ethan Arnold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 19th, 2013, 06:09 AM   #30
New Boot

After reading some more forum entries and reviews, I've also gone and ordered the AT875R :-)
Thanks Phil!
Ethan Arnold is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Panasonic P2HD / AVCCAM / AVCHD / DV Camera Systems > Panasonic AVCCAM Camcorders