Panasonic ag ac90 - Uk customer delays at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Panasonic P2HD / AVCCAM / AVCHD / DV Camera Systems > Panasonic AVCCAM Camcorders
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Panasonic AVCCAM Camcorders
AVCHD for pro applications: AG-AC160, AC130 and other AVCCAM gear.

Old February 4th, 2013, 10:42 AM   #1
Regular Crew

Panasonic ag ac90 - Uk customer delays

Hi Guys

Ordered on of these last saturday and as it stands, there are apparently NO units in the UK as Panasonic have only released to USA and Europe (was convinced the UK was in Europe the last time I looked!)

so, I am in a dilema, do I possibly leave the order as is and wait (though the arrival date has been 2 months delayed already) or go for an alternative i.e. Canon xa10 maybe to go with my Tm900?

Decisions decisions
Phil Gadd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 4th, 2013, 01:58 PM   #2
Trustee

Re: Panasonic ag ac90 - Uk customer delays

The TM900 is very sharp, but the image stabilization is not as good, nor is the low light, DR, white balance or color accuracy. I own both. The gamma choices and DRS levels make a huge difference. The AC90 also has the 8 blade iris versus the 4 blade of the TM900. The XA10 doesn't do 1080/50p/60p. Sorry there is a wait for Uk. Panasonic are losing sales and opportunity.
Tom Roper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 4th, 2013, 02:27 PM   #3
Trustee

Phil,

I would tough it out. You've got cameras that will do a great job in the meantime, and when the AC90 arrives you'll be glad you waited. Supplies of these cameras are hard to come by it seems, and the best way is to get your name down and the supplier will do their best. CVP are a very, very good company.

There's two things you can do, obviously:
1. Wait for the AC90, and be delighted
2. Re-evaluate your needs. Is there something else that would do the job better for the same money? I would say not. Don't impulse buy something just because your primary choice is unavailable, think long and hard. If you do change your mind, be sure it's the right choice long term.

It's not always easy. In my case, I was waiting for my regular supplier to get me a JVC HM600, and he couldn't get it in time for my filming needs - with no date for deliveries. I re-evaluated my needs, and decided that the Panasonic AC-130 did pretty much everything I needed, ticked 99% of the same boxes on my spreadsheet (yes, I am that sad). It was £500 cheaper too, which means I can have a raincover, extra batteries, UV filter, mic and still have change from that £500.

In my case, it was a good decision I think. But if you are going to change your mind, hold your breath and count to 1300 (pounds) and see what you think you can get for the same cash. If the XA10 ticks all the boxes of your current and possible future needs, then maybe... but don't do anything rash!
Mike Beckett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 4th, 2013, 02:44 PM   #4
Regular Crew

Thanks Mike/Tom

its Frustrating, to make matters worse I ordered a top 27" iMac which also is on a 4 week wait (to help speed my post editing workflow up)

So currently, I have spent £3600 to push my little business passion forward, one camera down and nothing to show" (words of my girlfriend by the way)

Guess you're right, its worth waiting for, will just have do what the animals do and hibernate for another 6 weeks! :-)
Old February 4th, 2013, 03:19 PM   #5
Trustee

At least you still have cameras, Phil! I surrendered my Sony for part exchange, little knowing that it would take so long for a replacement, over a month.

It will be worth it. I've read and seen a lot of good things about the AC-90. Might it be an idea to contact Holdan (UK importer of Panasonic cameras) to get more info on deliveries?

See: Broadcast and Video Technology from Holdan. Tapeless workflows, editing software, professional camcorders and media delivery tools
Old February 4th, 2013, 03:30 PM   #6
Regular Crew

Great Idea Mike, just sent them an email now. :-)
Old February 5th, 2013, 07:26 AM   #7
Inner Circle

Hi Phil

Patience is the key here I guess..I'm sure they will come soon. At least you are still in the chilly season so you shouldn't be that busy...Last year I changed cameras (burning bridges like Mike did) in February as I had a neat 2 week gap between weddings and yes, the same thing happened to me!! A shoot and no cameras as they were delayed...Luckily I had sold my old cameras to a mate here so I had to sweet talk him into letting me borrow my old cameras back for a week.

Hope they arrive in the UK soon!!!

Chris
Chris Harding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 5th, 2013, 07:35 AM   #8
Regular Crew

Thanks Chris

It could be mid march but I am hoping it will be end of Feb. I can use my TM900 I suppose if needed OR I could always hire something (but again I am pretty new to the PRO gear so it would be like giving a ferrari to a baby!)

I did consider taking the plunge briefly for the 130 or 160 but I decided to stick to my original budget

Currently its snowing in Liverpool which will please most people enjoying the sunshine at present ha ha
Old February 5th, 2013, 08:51 AM   #9
Inner Circle

Hi Phil

...and by comparison I'm shooting a wedding on Saturday and the forecast temperature is 38 degrees (and that's Celcuis too!!) It will be a sweaty day!!

It seems weird that the AC90 is not yet available ...Global Media Pro have had the 90 in stock since November at AUS$2070.00 (that's before any sales tax of course) but still awesome value.

If Pansonic had developed a AC100 to take over from the HMC80 then I would have stuck with them but that was not to be so I jumped ship to Sony with the new EA-50 ...shoulder mount cameras are scarce now and Sony had the only one where the form factor really suited by shooting style ...I'm still getting used to the DOF issues with using a big sensor like DSLR's but so far it's great!!

I was totally disappointed with the AC-130 and 160 and kept mine for 3 months only ..the AC-90 is a wise choice!!

Chris
Old February 5th, 2013, 12:53 PM   #10
Trustee

Chris,

I see it's cooled down a bit for you then!
Old February 5th, 2013, 02:41 PM   #11
Regular Crew

we can only dream of those temperatures cant we Mike :-)

I sent a complaint in to Panasonic and ...... (long pause) still no reply

I cant wait to start using the new ac-90 even if it is just a basic pro model.

As I say, I had to laugh on the phone when the agents said it was released in the US and Eurpoe (hence a bit of sarcasm about the UK not being in Europe.

I guess i should download the manual and see if its readable
Old February 5th, 2013, 03:02 PM   #12
Trustee

I've experienced those temperatures when I was in Aus a few years back... I don't think us pasty Celts are designed to cope with that. The people of Perth still talk about the guy with the bright white legs who blinded them when he wore shorts round town.

The AC-90 manual should be online somewhere. Failing that, try here:

Frank's thoughts on HDV - Documentation Index

Ctrl+F and search for AC-90, you'll find brochures and manuals. Panasonic manuals normally are in two parts, one is printed and the second, detailed one only as a PDF on a CD. I prefer PDFs, I can search easily and view them on my iPad.

Mind you, if the broken English in the AC-130 manual is anything to go by, you may be more confused after reading the manual!
Old February 5th, 2013, 06:19 PM   #13
Inner Circle

Panasonic manuals have actually become very poor! Apart from the bad translation, the actual content simply tells you what a button does and that's about it..no usage or help or explanation. I would strongly suggest that you order Barry Green's book on the AC-90 ..It is written by Barry with the camera in hand and each section covers stuff in absolute detail.

Today is neat weather!! Up to 30 only!!

Chris
Old February 6th, 2013, 03:20 AM   #14
Regular Crew

Thanks Mike

I found part 1 of the manual here
http://www.humanvalues.net/hdv/pdf/P...tober_4_EN.pdf

Why do they make manuals so boring with such exciting technology! surely its time for VIDEO manuals :-)

Chris/Mike, is there a big deffierence between the ac-90 and ac130 as its double the price in the UK?
Old February 6th, 2013, 04:16 AM   #15
Trustee

Phil,

Volume 2 of the manual is on there as well, if you look.

As to the differences... bigger chips, bigger lens (physically), more zoom, manual NDs, loads more functionality... I don't have an exact list of the differences, a comparison of specs will help there.

The AC-90 does have auto-NDs and a better built-in stabiliser, and is smaller and lighter.

My AC-130 comes tomorrow. It was supposed to be today, but they chose one of my least-favourite couriers. The wait is torture!!
Mike Beckett is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Panasonic P2HD / AVCCAM / AVCHD / DV Camera Systems > Panasonic AVCCAM Camcorders