Accessory list for GS100 - Page 3 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Panasonic P2HD / AVCCAM / AVCHD / DV Camera Systems > Panasonic DVX / DVC Assistant > Panasonic DV / MX / GS series Assistant
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Panasonic DV / MX / GS series Assistant
...and other Panasonic DV camcorders.

Old September 7th, 2003, 10:16 PM   #31
Major Player

Allan,
I've seen few types all similar system of LCD hood on pro orientaded Japanese home pages (no magnifyer, just flip around with magic tape).
The price is usually 3200 JPY (without tax and shipping).

I just bought Video Club Delux for 980 JPY where you can cut out black paper mini LCD hood and stick it permanently to the monitor frame. As it's foldable you can close the monitor any time. I don't know if I'll use it but there is also grey white balance card which is worthed.
Bogdan Vaglarov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 7th, 2003, 10:40 PM   #32
Major Player

The magnifier is probably worse than a gameboy add on, as it seems to me it might also undermine the purpose of the hood - keeping the lcd monitor viewable in adverse sun/weather conditions. But what do I know. Haven't tried it. May want to try it, though, if somebody can vouch for it.
Patricia Kim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 15th, 2003, 11:23 PM   #33
Regular Crew

Just Blew the Budget and got the....

Raynox HD 6600Pro Wide Angle....Took off the hood and screwed it on....No worries...makes a huge difference. Now I dont have to esk every one not to stand too close when filming....

Just wondering where I should put my filters.....On the 72MM thread on the head or between the Camera and the wide angle...

The lense is a bit weighty making the unit top heavy....

Also I read that pana reccomend removing the battery and tapes when not in use...do you think there is any harm in leaving the lense on all the time?

If I get a hood for the wide angle it will surley become the biggest black beuty........

Cheers,

Lincoln
Lincoln Norris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 16th, 2003, 12:06 AM   #34
Major Player

Lincoln,
You have to get a thin,slim UV/polarizer/ND to fit 72mm, You may also get some vignetting on the corners, if your filters are very thick.

So there are two type of filters, one for wide angle and the other for real 72mm lens cameras. You have to select slim filters designed for wide angles. You can get from B&H, if in US, B+w slim filters, multicoated.

Nice to get a raynox WA. Mine is on its way too!
Samuel Raj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 16th, 2003, 12:47 AM   #35
Major Player

Lincoln, save yourself the trouble and money by bringing your cam with the wideconverter to any Bic Camera and try out any Kenko (Hoya) 72mm filter there. Start with the standard (multi-coated) types and if you don't see any vignetting, then that's fine...no need to spend extra on those HMC, or EHMC (High Grade or Extra High Grade Multi-Coated Filters that are water repellant and has thinner glass) unlesss you really need one, or if filter cost is not an issue. Those HMC and EMHC types cost twice the standard MC ones.

If I were you, I'd permanently attach a 72mm MC Protector or MC-UV on top of that huge front glass of your Raynox, whether you connect it to your cam or not. I don't see any big problem keeping the wideconverter lens attached to the cam, but will it still fit into your cam bag?

Then, go to the section where Bic is selling those 3rd party hoods. Both rubber and metal are available, the metal being more costly. Try out one (72mm thread of course) and check again for vignetting at the widest zoom. I've personally tested those Hansa and Minette 43mm hoods on the GS100K. They work perfectly and you can still screw a filter (flushed not on top) onto the 3rd party hood.

Don't forget your point card.

Regards
Allan Rejoso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 16th, 2003, 01:57 AM   #36
Regular Crew

Size isnt a question any more....money still is though...

I just bought the big camera bag...you know that sony all purpose camcorder electronic bag with the underneath cable section and two front pockets...4,700yen....I'm a proud owner of that too! now.....I'll snip the sony tag off....A. its not a sony inside .and B...to keep temptation away from the criminal mind...if I place it down for a moment.

Well thanks Samual and Allan for your replies....Looks like I've gotta make another trip to BicCamera....I'm turning into the new regular....I got the lense from Yodabashi Camera though...My girlfriend purchases things like printer ink and floppy discs there for her company....and then I used the 12,000yen that had built up towards the Reynox WA.....Lucky me...and now I can fit her friends into the picture too.

I am not sure.....what does fluid head mean in regards to Tripods...the guy at Bic Camera couldnt help me?

I will grab a e pod just because they are cheap14,00yen when I go...they look cool and the girl friemd wants one...but for the more serious tripod but still kinda compac do you have any recomendations from BicCam Allan.

Cheers,

Lincoln
Lincoln Norris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 16th, 2003, 02:57 AM   #37
Major Player

Lucky you for paying only about JPY3,000 for the Raynox WA.

You don't have to go to Bic if you have lots of points from Yodobashi. Those 2 stores are practically the same in terms of size, availability of accessories, and price. Just ask the seller properly before trying anything on your cam.

I'm using the cheapest fluid head tripod called Velbon C-500. Costed me JPY9,800, goes up to 1.55m only but that's enough for my personal application. When you see and try one, you'll know the difference right away (in terms of smoothness of panning) compared to non-fluid head tripods.

If your budget is 14,700 you can get the bigger and stronger fluid head types sold by SLIK and VELBON (C-600). If the Jap guy seller can't understand you. just say OIL HEAD instead or OIL GA HAITEIRU HEDDO. You can also check Sony 803 tripod with remote. It's about JPY11,000 and looks pretty solid. The remote on the tripod will be useless with your GS100 but who knows one day you'd use/have another cam with LANC connector.

Lincoln did you check the LOWEPRO cam bag selections. For the same 4,700 I think you can get the NOVA2 or 3 models. Perhaps you should check in case you still can return your Sony Bag.
Allan Rejoso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 16th, 2003, 03:16 AM   #38
Outer Circle

Quote:
I'm using the cheapest fluid head tripod called Velbon C-500. Costed me JPY9,800, goes up to 1.55m only but that's enough for my personal application. When you see and try one, you'll know the difference right away (in terms of smoothness of panning) compared to non-fluid head tripods.
I agree! With these small cams you do not need a big pro pod and head. I got away with using a Velbon for 3 years (made money with it too), and then I went with a 12.5 pound Manfrotto 075B/136. What a great tripod, but heavier than hell to lug around (this is not fun when you have run around setting up here and setting up there; or walking 1/4 of a mile through a grave yard). Just today I sold my Manfrotto, and will be buying something lighter, like the Velbon C-500 Allan uses---or something similar. One thing, Allan, does this Velbon have a removeable base plate? That sure comes in handy for shooting weddings!
Frank Granovski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 16th, 2003, 10:16 AM   #39
Major Player

Allan,
Is this tripod

Velbon
Videomate 607 Tripod with PH-368 2 Way Fluid Head (Quick Release) & Case - Supports 15 lbs
Price $69.95(B&H)

better than Velbon C-500?
Old September 16th, 2003, 11:43 AM   #40
Major Player

Samuel, have you tried checking your local Long's? I've seen several models of tripods (in about the $50 range - a small Velbon was among them) on the shelves. At least you could take a look at how they're made and try one out first.
Old September 16th, 2003, 01:08 PM   #41
Major Player

Patricia,
I already got that Velbon Videomate 607 Tripod from B&H. Wanted to ask Allan, whether that one similar to C-500 series.

In my opnion, this 607 is solid and sturdy and gives a wonderful pan and tilt movements. I really LOVE this tripod. I took some PANORAMA shots from this tripod. It came out very well.
The fluid head is excellent for this price range.
Old September 16th, 2003, 02:12 PM   #42
Major Player

Great. Good to let us know in your post if you have the item and what you think of it so that others can have the benefit of your experience. Now I can check the one at Long's to see if it's the same model - if I ever decide to get a tripod. I'm still looking for something that lets you move around more.
Old September 16th, 2003, 09:32 PM   #43
Major Player

Patricia,
Nice to read your posts after every intervals of your visiting!!

That tripod weighs, just less than 4.5 pounds and comes with a cool semi leather(i guess) bag, with a strap, you can hang on the shoulders. Its platinum, so weightless!

I dont know whether Longs drugs will have this model.
Old September 17th, 2003, 01:11 AM   #44
Outer Circle

I'll be going to take a look at these and other Velbon models either tomorrow or the day after, since I'm now in need of a light tripod. Hopefully, they'll be some in black mamba beside silver.
Frank Granovski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 17th, 2003, 01:24 AM   #45
Major Player

Frank, I like my rolls royces in the silver shadow model and my gs100ks and accessories in the same. (Okay, my rolls royces are in your dreams models.)
Patricia Kim is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Panasonic P2HD / AVCCAM / AVCHD / DV Camera Systems > Panasonic DVX / DVC Assistant > Panasonic DV / MX / GS series Assistant