Accessory list for GS100 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Panasonic P2HD / AVCCAM / AVCHD / DV Camera Systems > Panasonic DVX / DVC Assistant > Panasonic DV / MX / GS series Assistant
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Panasonic DV / MX / GS series Assistant
...and other Panasonic DV camcorders.

Old August 14th, 2003, 01:55 AM   #1
New Boot

Accessory list for GS100

Hi,

I'm new in DV world and soon GS100 will come to my hand so
I collect accesory list(which is available in USA) for future.
Please give me a comment or advice.
( I put multiple choices for budget.
All price are from B & H. You could find cheaper price.)

- Memory Card
Lexar
256MB 32x Secure Digital (SD) Card
Price $79.95

or

Panasonic
256MB Secure Digital (SD) Card - Price $79.95

P.S. 512 MB SD card is too expensive now.

- Tripod
Velbon
Videomate 607 Tripod with PH-368 2 Way Fluid Head (Quick Release) & Case - Supports 15 lbs
Price $69.95

or
Velbon CX-586 Tripod with semi Fluid Head (can't find it in USA but expensice one. But it should be less than $50 in Korea)
- good for bucks.

or

Slik
504QF II Tripod with Fluid Panhead (Quick Release) - Supports 11 lbs
Price $119.95

or

Bogen / Manfrotto
3280 35" Tripod Bag - for 3011, 3021 and 3033 Tripods - Navy
Price $39.95

Bogen / Manfrotto
3021N Tripod Legs (Chrome) with 3130 Fluid Head (Quick Release) - Supports 8.80 lb
Price $186.00

- Battery Pack
Power-2000
CGA-DU21(VW-VBD210) Lithium Ion Battery Pack - Price $84.95

or

Panasonic
CGA-DU21(VW-VBD210) Lithium Ion Battery Pack -
Price $99.95

VW-VBD7 is not available yet in USA.

- Soft Case
Lowepro
Nova 4 AW Camera Shoulder Bag - Price $52.95

- hard Case ??

- UV filter
B+W
43mm UV Haze 010 (MRC) Multi-Resistant Coating Glass Filter
Price $36.50

or

Hoya or Tiffen UV

- Hood
Hama
55mm Screw-In Plastic Wide Angle Lens Hood with Cap
Price $16.95
(report indicated that this hood doesn't need step down ring for GS100 but may need step up ring for Raynox Wide angle Lens)

- Cleaning and English Remote Control
Panasonic
AY-DVMCLA Mini DV Cleaning Cassette - Price $14.99

Panasonic
PV-DRC9 Remote Control(English) For Panasonic Digital Camcorders
- Price $18.95

LCD protect film (for PDA or piece tape would work)

panasonic(or Fuji) miniDV - not from sony

or TDK miniDV (6 for $25 from costco)

Rain Cover ??

Video Light ??

mic ??

Firewire cable 4-6pin 6ft - $4.49 (in newegg)

- Wide Angle Conversion Lens
Raynox
DCR-720, 0.72x, Wide Angle Conversion Lens (52mm Camera Mount)
Price $69.95
+ Tiffen
52mm-43mm Step-Down Ring (Lens to Filter)
Price $9.95

or

HD-6600 Pro 43mm 0.66x High Quality Wide Angle Converter Lens
Price $119.95
DooKee Cho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 14th, 2003, 03:28 AM   #2
Outer Circle

Someone's got a few bucks to spend. :)

I'd go with the Videomate 607 Tripod with PH-368 2 . (I had something similar---the one I found beside the trash bin out back.)

I'm sure that either mem card will do.

The Lowpro Nova 4 should be just fine. I wouldn't bother with a hard case.

A rain cover is a good idea.

I would just get 2, 2 hour batteries.

Everything else seems okay. Why a B+W? Why not just a Hoya or Tiffen UV? They also make good polarizers. I'd use Fuji tapes. Which adaptor? Get the one Tom Hardwick recommends.
Frank Granovski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 14th, 2003, 09:51 AM   #3
Major Player

You Could try Lexar SD memory card. Its almost equivalent to panasoic.

Sandisk I hear lot of malfunctions and write error problems from lot of forums. They say sandisk is junk. IF it works, then its your luck. Ofcourse they have warranty plan, but replacement takes lot of time.
Samuel Raj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 14th, 2003, 10:06 AM   #4
Major Player

I use TDK minidv tapes. It works wonderful

I get cheaper in costco 6 tapes for 25 bucks. I never experienced any problems.
Old August 14th, 2003, 12:29 PM   #5
New Boot

Thank Frank and Samuel Raj.
I updated the post from your suggestion.
DooKee Cho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 15th, 2003, 10:12 PM   #6
Major Player

Did anybody tried this battery? is this the original panasonic battery or a third party one
Old August 15th, 2003, 10:13 PM   #7
Major Player

Here is the link for the above post

http://snurl.com/1s5h
Old August 18th, 2003, 02:00 AM   #8
Major Player

batteries from eBay

Just to report that received my order from Hong Kong. Got it for 10 days (stated 5-12 days delivery) at my door.

My responce will be a bit mixed and not finall. I ordered 2 Pana batts 21 and one Sony QM71.

First the bad news not affecting the Pana users - the Sony batt wouldn't charge or power up the cam. I'll be working on that issue with the seller. Inside I read the leaflet is from 1998? Is it possible to be dead after long stock?

Pana batt No1 - didn't power my GS100 straight out of the pack. Put for charging - finished for les than 1h40'. Then showed full charge. I used for 15' recording - my dayly shots from the kids. Then decided to put it on test.
Whatched one 60' tape on my TV with the LCD open. Still showing full charge.

Then striped one tape (with cap on - recording). The battery finished exactly few seconds before the tape end (62'). So 1 hr continius recording + 15-20 normal rec situation + 1hr playback with LCD.

I thought that is close to the batt specs so I opened the second pack. This time straight from the pack the indication was full. The first batt this time charged for more than 3 hours.

All batteries were in their original "western" packing (different from the Japanese one). The Pana batts looked slightly scrached on places including the labels but nothing would suggest that they are not brand new.

Hope that helps somebody - price was funny.

I'll update if there are more issues.
Bogdan Vaglarov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 18th, 2003, 08:30 PM   #9
Major Player

Thanks Bogdan for your info.

Do we need to remove the hood to add this raynox
HD-6600 Pro 43mm 0.66x wide angle lens, if so, if we remove the hood, is there any thread to mount the 43 mm lens?

I guess the original panasonic doesnt come with threads, its just like to push it in after removing the hood.

In that case, raynox wide lens, we have to attach with out removing the hood, to make use of the threads, Anybody tried these two?
Old August 18th, 2003, 08:48 PM   #10
Outer Circle

The good news is that all the Raynox adaptors I've seen have filter threads on the front (like the Tiffens). So you can always screw on a lens hood in those threads or into a filter (screwed on to the adaptor). A good Hoya rubber hood here in Vancouver costs $29 Canadian. (I've got 3---for my SLR.)
Frank Granovski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 18th, 2003, 08:50 PM   #11
Major Player

I haven't tried to remove the hood by now but I think it's also on a tread.

In the Japanese manual it's clearly stated you have to remove the hood if you use wide/tele conversion lens.

Screw on filters straight onto the hood.

If the conv lens has tread for filters you can attach one too but there might be vigneting in the edges in full wide (they write this to protect themselves from such cases - it's case by case and depend on the range/quality of conversion lens/filter).

One question here. Is it apropriate to use UV filter also indoors?
I want to leave it on the lens for protector all the time. I prefer to have UV rather than just protector to have the advantages it gives for outdoors shooting.
Bogdan Vaglarov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 18th, 2003, 09:07 PM   #12
Major Player

The hood MUST be removed. It is threaded. The threaded portion on the camera barrel is actually deeper than that on the front of the hood and appropriately designed for mounting heavy converter lenses. It also makes sense to keep the converter lenses as close as possible to the cam lens itself. Pany recommends more light when using converter lenses.

For filters, you can attach them in front of the hood.

THUS, the picture of the MX5000 in Yahoo with a converter lens attached is not in accordance with Pany's recommendation.
Allan Rejoso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 18th, 2003, 10:31 PM   #13
Major Player

Thanks Allan, Bogdan, Frank,

I never removed the front hood so far, So Allan says that thread near the lens is deeper than the front thread, thats good!

So, its good idea to use the inner thread for wide angle lens. It really makes sense.

The better near the lens, the lesser the distortion or vignetting...
Old August 25th, 2003, 09:45 PM   #14
Major Player

Re: batteries from eBay

<<<-- Originally posted by Bogdan Vaglarov : Just to report that received my order from Hong Kong. Got it for 10 days (stated 5-12 days delivery) at my door.

My responce will be a bit mixed and not finall. I ordered 2 Pana batts 21 and one Sony QM71.

First the bad news not affecting the Pana users - the Sony batt wouldn't charge or power up the cam. I'll be working on that issue with the seller. Inside I read the leaflet is from 1998? Is it possible to be dead after long stock?

Pana batt No1 - didn't power my GS100 straight out of the pack. Put for charging - finished for les than 1h40'. Then showed full charge. I used for 15' recording - my dayly shots from the kids. Then decided to put it on test.
Whatched one 60' tape on my TV with the LCD open. Still showing full charge.

Then striped one tape (with cap on - recording). The battery finished exactly few seconds before the tape end (62'). So 1 hr continius recording + 15-20 normal rec situation + 1hr playback with LCD.

I thought that is close to the batt specs so I opened the second pack. This time straight from the pack the indication was full. The first batt this time charged for more than 3 hours.

All batteries were in their original "western" packing (different from the Japanese one). The Pana batts looked slightly scrached on places including the labels but nothing would suggest that they are not brand new.

Hope that helps somebody - price was funny.

I'll update if there are more issues. -->>>

Bogdan, pana batteries working good as far as now? No problems right?(charge retention is good like brand new)

I may order these batteries soon.
Old August 25th, 2003, 10:14 PM   #15
Major Player

I have the feeling that Sony batt was just too old although looking brand new.

Batterries have to be refreshed periodicaly to maintain their charging ability.

The Pana batteries shouldn't be bad as they are new type released with the new line small palmcorders (GS50, GS70) a year or a bit more ago.

By now after the test I gave to the first battery I haven't finished using the second one. I shot some night festivals last weekend and before that the bat was on the cam since the time of the charging (a week) with ocasional use for short periods. It now shows 2 bars (half power) so I think there is no problem and the batteries are good.

I can't give anybody garantie as buying from eBay is at own risk, but the seller Easy258 is responcive (within the time difference).

P.S. I've forgot to mention that at the test I did I also rewinded twice the full lenth of a tape (60')
Bogdan Vaglarov is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Panasonic P2HD / AVCCAM / AVCHD / DV Camera Systems > Panasonic DVX / DVC Assistant > Panasonic DV / MX / GS series Assistant