Tdk,fuji,pana Tape Analysis For Gs100k at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Panasonic P2HD / AVCCAM / AVCHD / DV Camera Systems > Panasonic DVX / DVC Assistant > Panasonic DV / MX / GS series Assistant

Panasonic DV / MX / GS series Assistant
...and other Panasonic DV camcorders.

Old September 4th, 2003, 01:43 PM   #1
Major Player

Tdk,fuji,pana Tape Analysis For Gs100k

I already posted in accessories page, but thought it is appropriate to start with separate topic.

Wanted to do R&D on different tapes and their characteristics and their effect on GS100.

TDK tape technical specs:
TDK
http://www.tdk.com.au/products/cam...minidv_dvm.htm

Fuji Tape
http://www.fujifilm.com/JSP/fuji/...bin/MiniDV.pdf
The above Fuji link is for DVM80 not for dvm60. I dont know whether dvm60 has all those features. There is no link, I could find to describe about dvm60

This is for panasonic MQ series. (THIS IS NOT THE EJ,EX,PQ ETC)
http://www.pvnb.org/MQ_Tape%20Formulation.pdf

I am a trustworthy user of TDK.

Please post ur comments and experiences and the tape u were using!
Samuel Raj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 4th, 2003, 02:40 PM   #2
Regular Crew

I am using pana tapes.

But as a first time user, dunno on what parameters to rate/compare it.

what are the typical attributes that one should watch out for? Maybe I can post my experiences on these attributes, rating, and experiences.

theres a very interesting and enlightening thread on wide lenses started by Boyan Dob. Hopefully this one on tapes will also have knowledgeable and experienced folks writing in.
Amit Sawarkar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 4th, 2003, 02:42 PM   #3
Outer Circle

I've never had problems with Fuji miniDV tape. I only use the 1 hour ones. I can't comment on other brands other than JVC. When I first bought my first miniDV cam, a JVC, I used JVC (a 1/2 hour JVC tape was included in the cam box, so I bought more JVC tape). To make a long tragic story short, I had nothing but clogged heads from this tape. No amount of head cleaning solved the problem. Once I switched to Fuji, I never had these problems, and I never had to clean my heads again. I still have the JVC head cleaner, but when I tried to use my new Panasonic head cleaner, I got an error message. The Pana cleaner wouldn't work. So at least JVC make head cleaners that actually work. I don't see the logic in switching to another brand of miniDV tape, because it's just fine; and here in Vancouver, Fuji are about the same price as TDK, Maxell and other inexpensive tape. And, it's not a good idea to mix tape brands and types within the brand.

In my 1st MX300 cam, I only used Panasonic tape. A Pana tape cam in the box, so I bought more and used them. I never had problems with the tape, but I have since parted with this cam as a gift to a family member.

I've used all sorts of tape brands with other cams, cams I used to shoot with for other people. From what I recall, I only had problems when the cam owners mixed brands. And most cam owners do this because they buy what's cheaper, and they don't know any better, or so it seems to me.

On another note, I read somewhere that 90 min miniDV tape uses a thiner tape stock than 30 min and 60 min tape, so the 90 minute stuff is not as robust. I've never used the 90 min tape because I don't like to take unnecessary chances when I shoot. :)
Frank Granovski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 4th, 2003, 06:27 PM   #4
Major Player

technical details of TDK

standard
http://www.tdk-asia.com/products/camcorder/dvm.php

Master

http://www.tdk-asia.com/products/cam.../dvmmaster.php

Master’s features (4,5,6 applies to mini dv starndard also)
http://www.tdk-asia.com/products/cam...dvmmaster2.php

will post when I find further articles about FUJI and Pana
Old September 4th, 2003, 09:07 PM   #5
Regular Crew

great.

Good to hear that the Pana tapes shold be reasonably OK.

I just got a deal on 20 new ones for $60 us...
Old September 4th, 2003, 11:32 PM   #6
Major Player

Panasonic PQ series is Wet

Panasonic MQ series is dry

I saw in some forum, some Pana technical manager recommends MQ than the PQ.

So, Pana MQ is the best in the panasonic tape, remaining tapes are just standard tapes.

Even the EJ EX LP Plus etc series are Wet and dry, i.e EJ has both wet and dry and like ex also. So you have to stick to only one type, EJ wet or dry.

When I go thru all those articles, I can find, TDK standard has some what close to MQ series.

I also see lot of praises for TDK in some of the forums as well as some forums dont recommend TDK.

Even some forums recommend Fuji and somebody faced lot of problems on the FUji also.

The bottom line is stick with only one brand. It doesnt matter, Fuji, or Pana EJ wet or dry or TDK or maxel, but JVC ALWAYS had negative feedback in every other forums.

A LARGE NUMBER OF FORUMS KEEP INSIST TO USE THEIR FAVORITE BRAND RATHER, NOBODY GAVE AN UNBIASED REPORT.

ITS LIKE CHOOSING A WIFE, SELECT ONE BRAND AND STICK WITH IT FOREVER! LOL, SO LOT OF PEOPLE RECOMMEND THEIR WIFE TYPES TO EVERYBODY!!!

The knowledge I got from all the forums as wellas from spec articles suggest some of these brands are good to stick with.

These are the best ones.
TDK, Pana MQ, Fuji,

if ANY ONE COULD FIND WHETHER TDK AND FUJI WET OR DRY TYPE, IT WILL BE GREATLY APPRECIATED.

Try to avoid JVC, MAXELL, SONY, and other pana ej, ex, etc..
Old September 5th, 2003, 02:34 AM   #7
Regular Crew

So how do I tell?

Is the AY-DVM60EJ tape wet or dry?

I can't find anything about wet/dry on the tape itself, the shrinkwrap or the box.

From the little I could find on the web:
If the cassette is white and the flip cover is blue, it's dry.

I have black cassettes with a blue flip cover...
Old September 5th, 2003, 02:52 AM   #8
Outer Circle

Update: I was looking through all my SLR and miniDV gear (yes, I have 3 bags full), and stupid me! Since I've been using Fuji miniDV for so many years, and haven't had to clean my heads since I switched to Fuji, for reason I thought that the head cleaning tape was a JVC. IT'S NOT!!! It's a Canon miniDV head cleaning tape! (Just goes to show you how I never had to clean my heads in my JVC cams since I switched. How many years? Almost 5 YEARS!!!)

http://www.dvfreak.com/tape.htm
Old September 5th, 2003, 03:18 AM   #9
Major Player

Strange that no one talks about Sony tapes here.

I use the cheaperst, most basic 1 hour Sony MiniDV tapes on my MX8 and MX350. Absolutely no problems and I have tapes used and played back about 20 times with no noticeable loss. And I clean my play head once a month to be ritualistic. I use the Panasonic dry cleaning tape.

There was a time when I used Panasonic (I believe that was the dry type). I had to clean head every week or two due to drop-out losses, which comae from head clogging!

In Singapore, the Sony tapes are wrapped in red packaging and is numbered 3DVM60.
SW: iMovie, Final Cut Pro, Adobe Premiere, Ulead Video Studio, various little utilities
Yow Cheong Hoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 5th, 2003, 03:27 AM   #10
Outer Circle

I haven't heard anything bad about Sony brand tapes for a while, except for a thread on the camera forum at dv.com. He mentiones that he uses Pana, Fuji and Sony tapes, and that the Sony tape has "dropped pixels." Could it be because of the big No-No? (never mix 'er tapes) :)
Old September 9th, 2003, 10:38 PM   #11
Regular Crew

The pana tapes that I bought appears to be different.

The packaging says 'metal series'. Each tape has "ME" clearly written on it, and the bottom of the package it says

"AY-DVM60DA3W"

The A3 is for each tape with markings AA, AB, and AC (because its a 3 pack).

Question: Is this a new series "ME" or is it part of the EJ, QJ, PQ or MQ series?
Are these tapes better/ good?
or should I shift over to MQ?
Amit Sawarkar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 9th, 2003, 11:05 PM   #12
Outer Circle

Quote:
...Question: Is this a new series "ME" or is it part of the EJ, QJ, PQ or MQ series? Are these tapes better/ good? or should I shift over to MQ?
That's another reason I stick with Fuji. They only make 1 kind of miniDV tape.

(Sorry I couldn't answer your question. Perhaps someone else can.)
Old September 9th, 2003, 11:18 PM   #13
Major Player

Thats Right, like Fuji, TDK also has one variety.

Pana just confuses the consumers, by releasing a lot of choices, and they themselves asking not to use pq or below. Now they (Pana top technical president, i guess) insist to use MQ.

Thats why I stick with TDK(Its cheaper too).
Old September 10th, 2003, 12:00 AM   #14
Outer Circle

I hear you. TDK makes 1 type, and that's it. And if it works fine for you, great! But there are those who seem to buy this one and then that one, because it's cheaper, and then with another one, and back with the first one---breaking the 1 most important rule: don't mix brands and types within the brand.
Old September 10th, 2003, 12:39 AM   #15
Major Player

All DV tapes are ME – that means ‘metal evaporate’ and doesn’t have anything to do with the MQ master tape (which is also ME). DV format is written on ME tapes only, normal Metal tape is insufficient.

Well, for the different markets the brands are marketing different variety.

Here in Japan there are:
TDK – 2 types – standard (3 colors) and master
Panasonic – basically 3 types – standard, master and colorful design series – 3 types (slightly lower specs than standard)
Fuji – standard (white) and master
Victor (JVC) – standard, Pro and colorful variations
Sony – standard, master and colorful variations

In fact only Fuji and TDK doesn’t make variety of colors and transparent tape shells. I haven’t seen their master tapes in my local stores though.

At www.adamwilt.com there is good tape related article. There is stated that both standard and master Pana tapes are DRY. Only Sony seems to be wet.
Bogdan Vaglarov is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Panasonic P2HD / AVCCAM / AVCHD / DV Camera Systems > Panasonic DVX / DVC Assistant > Panasonic DV / MX / GS series Assistant