sneaking in to the firmware of Pana GS100k?? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Panasonic P2HD / AVCCAM / AVCHD / DV Camera Systems > Panasonic DVX / DVC Assistant > Panasonic DV / MX / GS series Assistant
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Panasonic DV / MX / GS series Assistant
...and other Panasonic DV camcorders.

Old September 25th, 2003, 09:38 PM   #1
New Boot

sneaking in to the firmware of Pana GS100k??

Hi,

i will be having my Pana GS100k soon, and i can only understand English. I know that, great people in this forum allready spend their time to translate the menus and the manual. But, i was thinking what if, there is a way to edit the firmware in order to change the menus to english even on the machine for not craying the printout menus with the camera. Since there is a crazy demand on buying this baby, maybe someone can talk to a rep. from Panasonic and have them translate the firmware which reflects the english menu. I dont know.. i am just hoping that can be done. Since still... there is no US or Europe version on the market.. and i am sure it will take 6 more months to see it or even never.
i was about the buy, PV-DV953 but, as soon as i get in to this forum (thanks God) i found out that GS100k rocks in many ways.
Lets, hope it will be out soon in Us market. but i am sure it will be expensive at the begining.

btw... can anybody share the best info about getting GS100k, and lates price please.

Thanks.
Ali Tan Ucer
Ali Tan Ucer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 25th, 2003, 10:32 PM   #2
Major Player

As far as I know two options available

1) www.pricejapan.com

2) Allan Rajoso (You can email and get price quote, email could be found in this forum)

Approx 1200 bucks US.
Samuel Raj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 26th, 2003, 09:39 AM   #3
New Boot

thank you for the info. I am still wondering if there is a hardware genius who can sneak in to the firmware and change the menus into english or lets hope Pana will release an English version.

Thanks again.
Old September 29th, 2003, 11:42 AM   #4
Regular Crew

*smile*

many weeks ago, when I was a newbie on this forum I had the same thoughts. but, when I actually got hold of the cam, and had the opportunity to play around with it, you'll realize that its not that big an issue, and you'll learn to use it pretty fast.

you'll probably realize that its managable, though yes, I do agree an English version will suit me better, and its probably not worth the trouble of trying to get into the firmware. What I'd rather do is probably wait till the english version comes out, and then approach the Pana service centre to 'upgrade' the Jap to English - if its possible by then.

In fact there should be a thread here somewhere called "GS100K - English version" in which we discussed this.
Amit Sawarkar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 29th, 2003, 07:57 PM   #5
New Boot

if we can make sure that, we can upgrade the jap version to english version, i will defintly buy GS100K now. But, i am sure Pana will say nothing about it, since they are saying nothing about the English version. :)
Old September 29th, 2003, 09:07 PM   #6
Regular Crew

just curious

Anyone know if the menu system is using bitmaps for the entries or printing out the Japanese text via a font.

If it's using bitmaps to print the menues then it's a releatively simple matter of replacing the maps and adjusting where the cursor moves as you scroll through the menues.

If it's printing strings via a font then you have to translate the strings to english in the code as well as replace the font data.

I'm not sure which would involve more work to update...

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Panasonic P2HD / AVCCAM / AVCHD / DV Camera Systems > Panasonic DVX / DVC Assistant > Panasonic DV / MX / GS series Assistant