XLR adapter w/GS100 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Panasonic P2HD / AVCCAM / AVCHD / DV Camera Systems > Panasonic DVX / DVC Assistant > Panasonic DV / MX / GS series Assistant
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Panasonic DV / MX / GS series Assistant
...and other Panasonic DV camcorders.

Old September 29th, 2003, 01:34 PM   #1
New Boot

XLR adapter w/GS100

Hi,

I'm looking into an XLR adaptor and external mic for my GS100. I've seen a lot of references to the Beachtek, Signvideo, and Glensound boxes.

The Glensound seems like the best of the three but will the Glensound work with the GS100? It is the only one in the group that has a 2.5mm plug for power input from the LANC socket, which the Panas don't have.

The Signvideo XLR-Pro is a nice unit but the knob placement is right where the palm of your hand is when camera mounted. This is just poor design.

If it comes down to the Beachtek DXA-4, does anyone know which model is the best fit for the GS100. The screw mount placement is hard to judge from the pictures on their web site.

Any suggestions?

Thanks,
Kris
Kris Tomasson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 29th, 2003, 02:28 PM   #2
Major Player

I've been wondering similar things.

The first two choices seem not apropriate and the Beachtecks are difficult to judge without actually testing them with the cam. The main problem is the small size of the cam itself.

DXA-4 is the only phantom powered XLR box so no choices about it - if the size is not problem it should be the universal adaptor.

All other Beachteck modifications mainly differ in the screw placement to help for the specific camera size and balance.

I guess you can use any XLR adaptor if you shoot on tripod but you are meantioning handheld...
Bogdan Vaglarov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 29th, 2003, 06:57 PM   #3
Major Player

I have the same question about the Canon Optura Xi. Canon has it's own hot shoe, but is it of universal size? I'm told the Canon brand adaptor (the one made for the gl2) doesn't work with it. Anyone mount, say, an Optura 10/20 (heh heh)?

Shawn Mielke is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Panasonic P2HD / AVCCAM / AVCHD / DV Camera Systems > Panasonic DVX / DVC Assistant > Panasonic DV / MX / GS series Assistant