Panasonic GS100 questions at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Panasonic P2HD / AVCCAM / AVCHD / DV Camera Systems > Panasonic DVX / DVC Assistant > Panasonic DV / MX / GS series Assistant

Panasonic DV / MX / GS series Assistant
...and other Panasonic DV camcorders.

Old February 6th, 2004, 01:17 AM   #1
Tourist

Panasonic GS100 questions

I just purchased the GS100 from pricejapan and I have a
few questions.

1 What part of the software that comes on the CD do I load on to my PC. Do I click on one of the options on the start up screen when the Cd loads.

2 I also recently purchased a Mac. Can I put the video from the camcorder straight on to the Mac without drivers since the CD does not have Mac drivers

3 What audio record setting should I set the camcorder at. I would like the option of adding music and narration to the video later and I wondered if the audio record affected this.

4 Can the wide lens attachment be purchased in the US.

5 I downloaded a copy of the manual for the Pano 953. Is that manual along with the downloaded translations enough to get me through the process of figuring out how to use the camera.

6 Can I get a English language remote for the GS100, if needed. A past posting referred to one but I was not sure it worked with the camcorder.

I realize I am asking some camcorder 101 questions but I hope someone might give me some feedback. Up until now I have pretty much stuck with still photography ( I have a Fuji S2).

Thanks. Bill
Old February 6th, 2004, 01:53 AM   #2
Regular Crew

Hi Bill congratualtions on your purchase. If you would have bought your camera from Allan you would have gotten some translations but they are available with a little searching here.

1) Get yourself a SD card reader/writer from CompUSA or one of the mail order places. They are about 20-40 dollars depending on what model you buy. It connects to the Mac via the USB port and you can then use it to read the SD card from your camera. It is the best way to get photos in and out of your GS100 on the Mac. once on your desktop, just open it up them and import them to IPhoto. It's simple!

2) Since your using a Mac you don't need to load any of the software they sent you on the CDs. Your Mac will talk directly to the GS100 with Firewire through IMovie. No drivers are needed.

3) Set the audio to 16bit or higher (if available) on the camera - that is the best. Your narrations and music can be added later in editing where you control the levels of the audio recorded by the camera.

4) YES you can purchase a wide angle lense in the States. The lense size is 43mm and they make small step up/down rings for that. Read the forums for futher info on wide angle lenses.

5) From what I understand those manuals should get you through it. You also should get the Panasonic GS70 manual (PDF) which is also similar with menu layout. The GS100 is a good point and shoot camera, but there are many manual functions you will probably want to use later on.

6) The remote can be purchsed for I think for about 12 dollars from B & H in New York. I find the remote is much more responsive than the buttons on the DV953 which I own. If there is any similarity then use the remote - the remote is just more responsive.

Don't be afraid to ask questions - that's why we are all here - to help each other out.

Good luck and congratulations once again.

Rick.
Rick Tugman is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Panasonic P2HD / AVCCAM / AVCHD / DV Camera Systems > Panasonic DVX / DVC Assistant > Panasonic DV / MX / GS series Assistant