16x9 confusion at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Panasonic P2HD / AVCCAM / AVCHD / DV Camera Systems > Panasonic DVX / DVC Assistant > Panasonic DV / MX / GS series Assistant
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Panasonic DV / MX / GS series Assistant
...and other Panasonic DV camcorders.

Old February 7th, 2004, 01:36 PM   #1
New Boot

16x9 confusion

I dont have a 16x9 tv monitor yet but want to start shooting video in that form.

if i understand correctly there are several different options to get that ratio in one way or another, but what is the bottom line on each?:

cinema mode: basically records in 4x3 with black bars masking it to look like 16x9 on the viewfinder/lcd

but...
what does it look like on a 4x3 dvd monitor
what does it look like on a 16x9 monitor?

16x9 mode: basically records in 16x9 and squeezes into the 4x3 viewfinder/lcd

but...
what does it look like on a 4x3 dvd monitor
what does it look like on a 16x9 monitor?

and there are other option i have seen listed in forum too... frame mode, pro cinema, etc.. how do they look on monitor?

basically i want to think about the future of widescreen tv's, but also want to be realistic that much of my audience will always be a 4x3 monitor, and would hate for them to watch squeezed video

Please.
Penelope Taynt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 7th, 2004, 01:44 PM   #2
Wrangler

In general terms, letterboxed 16:9 displays as expected on 4:3 monitor with black bars above and below. On a 16:9 monitor it depends on your settings. 4:3 material would normally be "pillarboxed" with a black bar to the left and right. However there is a "zoom" mode which will expand to fit the 16:9 screen. The downside is that the resolution is less so you get a blurrier image.

16:9 or anamorphic video looks right on a widescreen monitor and has higher resolution than letterboxed. On a standard 4:3 set it will appear squashed however. Some of the newer, more expensive 4:3 sets have an "enhanced 16:9" mode but generally you need to activate it through a menu on a case by case basis. My 27" WEGA has this buried in the remote menus, but as soon as you switch channels it reverts to normal 4:3.

One way around all this is to burn your work to DVD. DVD players will automatically letterbox 16:9 material to display on a 4:3 screen (if the DVD is made properly and the player is properley configured).
Boyd Ostroff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 7th, 2004, 02:06 PM   #3
Wrangler

Great post by Boyd and here is a helpful link with photos covering the same concepts of widescreen DV.

http://www.maxent.org/video/16x9.html

another link of interest..

http://www.widescreenmuseum.com/spec...eat_emptor.htm
Tommy Haupfear is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Panasonic P2HD / AVCCAM / AVCHD / DV Camera Systems > Panasonic DVX / DVC Assistant > Panasonic DV / MX / GS series Assistant