GS200 Photo at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Panasonic P2HD / AVCCAM / AVCHD / DV Camera Systems > Panasonic DVX / DVC Assistant > Panasonic DV / MX / GS series Assistant

Panasonic DV / MX / GS series Assistant
...and other Panasonic DV camcorders.

Old February 8th, 2004, 07:24 PM   #1
New Boot

GS200 Photo

For those who care, here is a photo of the Black Mini:

http://prodb.matsushita.co.jp/produc...GS200K-K&ghj=1

Please.
Penelope Taynt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 8th, 2004, 07:50 PM   #2
Wrangler

Good pic.

Whats up with the external power light on the LCD housing? Is that even necessary?

I always liked it when Sony had the simple LCD info panels on the outside of the main LCD side panel. They were usually blue or green backlit but seem to have disappeared along with acceptable low light peformance.

http://dmania.intizen.com/camera/son...ages/01-01.jpg

Gotta love progress!
Tommy Haupfear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 8th, 2004, 09:32 PM   #3
Major Player

That's the Power LCD button Tommy. Allows the user to increase LCD brightness by approx. 2x (when needed) for better viewing on the LCD depending on the shooting condition. Button is provided so that user can on/off power mode anytime to save on battery life.
Allan Rejoso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 8th, 2004, 10:09 PM   #4
Wrangler

I would never have guessed that.

Allan, any update on the ceased production of the GS100 with the GS200 being its replacement (albeit a poor one).
Old February 8th, 2004, 11:18 PM   #5
Major Player

Yeah, the GS100 is gone from the shelf of both YODOBASHI and BIC Camera, 2 of the biggest electronic retailers (and very profitable) in Japan.

They say new stocks of the GS100 may come out in late Spring. That sounds sensible considering the GS200 will be out during the first week of March 2004. I guess Pany Japan would like to test first the response of the market on the GS200 before deciding how much more GS100 they have to produce, or whether they need to offer a GS300 or higher sometime in July 2004.

I have played with the tiny GS55 which uses the new universal body design that will also be employed on the GS200. Very user friendly indeed which the mainstream Jap market would most probably appreciate. But it may not be that big a deal to current Pany owners, and other markets, the US in particular which in my opinion gives more emphasis on getting the "best bang for the buck" (which is good actually) instead of having one with a new ultra-compact and user friendly design (and stripped away of many relevant features).
Allan Rejoso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 8th, 2004, 11:58 PM   #6
Major Player

it still amazes me the supreme picture quality coming out of something the size of an orange.
Old February 9th, 2004, 02:02 AM   #7
Outer Circle

At least they got the color right---I know, technically, black isn't a color. So I wonder if the GS100 is gone?
Frank Granovski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 9th, 2004, 04:49 AM   #8
Inner Circle

i think it is.. ther hasnt been any hype on it here, but when u look at the spec and then compare it to the DVC30, the 2 would be comparable in price if they were to hit the shelves together..

so instead of the middle one (gs100) looks liek they get rid of it and replaced it with the DVC30 and the GS200... this caters for both ends of the market without the need to get in the middle...

who knows....
Peter Jefferson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 9th, 2004, 10:38 AM   #9
Wrangler

Peter, thats a pretty big gap in-between the GS200 and DVC30. Not saying its not possible but I wouldn't think that the GS100 would steal too many DVC30 sales in Japan. They seem to favor extremely small cams and of course the GS100 is not available in North America. Of course if your theory plays out then the DV953 might be on the chopping block as well.. sigh
Old February 9th, 2004, 05:48 PM   #10
Outer Circle

I'm glad my old DVL9500's are still working, so I don't have to play the upgrade game. However, I sure would like one of them English version Black Mambas. I was thinking about it but decided to go after more gear instead. (It's starting to get nice here in Vancouver....) :-))))))
Frank Granovski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 9th, 2004, 07:41 PM   #11
Major Player

where d'ya get an english gs100k from Frank?
Tavis Shaver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 9th, 2004, 07:59 PM   #12
Outer Circle

From Allan..., because he provides "cheat sheets" when you order from him. :-))
Frank Granovski is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Panasonic P2HD / AVCCAM / AVCHD / DV Camera Systems > Panasonic DVX / DVC Assistant > Panasonic DV / MX / GS series Assistant