wide angle video conversion lens at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Panasonic P2HD / AVCCAM / AVCHD / DV Camera Systems > Panasonic DVX / DVC Assistant > Panasonic DV / MX / GS series Assistant
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Panasonic DV / MX / GS series Assistant
...and other Panasonic DV camcorders.

Old February 27th, 2004, 11:13 PM   #1
New Boot

wide angle video conversion lens

Can anybody comment on experiences with wide angle video conversion lenses with the gs 100K. Specifically which are the highest quality on the market at this point.
Thanks.
Hellmut Issels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 29th, 2004, 04:28 PM   #2
Outer Circle

The Pana adaptors are supposed to be pretty good but they don't come with filter threads on the front.

According to tests done by Tom Hardwick and other members, a couple of the Raynox adaptors seem to be the sharpest and with the least amount of barrel distortion, but they are not completely zoom-through.
Frank Granovski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 29th, 2004, 07:27 PM   #3
Major Player

I have a Raynox .3 HD Semi-Fisheye. I can zoom all the way thru and the fisheye effect is only at close distances, and no vignetting. I do wish it had threads on the front tho. Its really hard to beat for $120
Old February 29th, 2004, 07:33 PM   #4
Outer Circle

Isn't the Raynox HD5000 the one that's recommended as far as wides go for the 43mm threaded Panas? I believe there's another good Raynox model as well.
Old February 29th, 2004, 08:14 PM   #5
Major Player

Yea Frank,

the HD5000 is available with 43mm threads- but I have the HD3000 and it is threaded to 37mm. I just use the 37-43 adapter that came with it. Works fine.
Old March 2nd, 2004, 01:03 AM   #6
Regular Crew

I'm using the raynox 5000 with a pal mx 500 & it is a beauty - just two problems....

can't be used at full wide with the enclosed step up adater - black ring at the corners - probably a thin adapter ring would solve this -

and any night filming where floodlights are involved i can count on inadvertent hunting in the autofocus during some pans, i believe this is caused when the prisms of light refract within the lens itself.

other than that, i shoot more with it on than off! it's a marvelous tool for capturing humans.
Emmet Lucey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 2nd, 2004, 07:09 AM   #7
Major Player

Emmet,
Are you attaching the wide angle to the front of your hood? If so, take the hood off and see if it vignettes with the WA attached directly to the lens mount.
Guy Bruner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 2nd, 2004, 11:19 AM   #8
Regular Crew

thanks guy but yes, it's mounted right on the body, first out from the camera, factory sun hood removed .... i wish the truth were otherwise ....
Old March 3rd, 2004, 02:34 AM   #9
Regular Crew

Hi Emmet,

I have the same setup, the HD5000 and the DV953. I use the Raynox a lot of the time at full wide and never notice any vignetting. It could be because of the 43mm-37mm Step Down Ring I use.

This is the one :

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/cont...=221465&is=REG

I have found out from personal expierence that I have to be careful not to tighten the ring very much to the camera lens threads because it becomes very difficult to detach it.

Adam
Adam Folickman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 3rd, 2004, 04:53 AM   #10
Regular Crew

Looks like that ring is much flatter than mine. I bet that's the trick. You got an assortment of adapters included with the raynox, rght? I bet you'd get my viginetting if you tried the 37-43 provided by raynox.... maybe you'll want that train emerging from the tunnel effect sometime ... :-)
Old March 3rd, 2004, 06:07 AM   #11
Outer Circle

Isn't there a Raynox that comes with the 43mm threads, or larger? Then you wouldn't have to "step-up" the adaptor. Am I thinking about the Raynox 6600? Is that correct? I wish I had that Raynox link handy. I keep forgetting the model numbers, and their thread sizes. I know! I'll use the search function here. :-))

Ahh, yes. Here's one of the threads I was thinking about:

http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/showthrea...threadid=10724
Old March 3rd, 2004, 08:40 AM   #12
Regular Crew

I have been using the Kenko Digital SGW-05 PRO Wide Angle 0.5X adapter. It's 37 mm and I use a step up ring which has presented no problems. I have not seen distortion and it's very functional for under 100 bucks.
Rick Tugman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 3rd, 2004, 09:27 AM   #13
Regular Crew

Emmet,

I got the included adaptor rings with the HD5000 but never used them. I will try them out and see if I get the vignetting.

Frank,

The HD6600 has a 43mm thread but it is not fully zoom thru like the HD5000 is. With the HD5000 and the Tiffen ring, I don't have the vignetting problem.

Here is the link to RAYNOX:

http://www.raynox.co.jp/english/video/egvideoindex.htm
Adam Folickman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 3rd, 2004, 05:05 PM   #14
Outer Circle

Thanks for making the Raynox link handy.

Paralleling the HD5000/HD6600 story is Tiffen's 37mm/43mm wides. The 37mm is a fantastic wide but it's bigger brother, the 43mm, dropped out of technical school too young.
Old March 5th, 2004, 04:32 PM   #15
Major Player

I have both the Panasonic WA for the gs100 and the Raynox 5000 and like both, as I've mentioned elsewhere. But FYI, I just bought the March copy of DV mag, and there's an article by the production manager of "Frontline." Apparently they have a "loaner" kit for crews that includes the Century Optics 16:9 widescreen adaptor and the Kenko KRW 065WA. (Oh, yeah, mustn't forget to mention that their loaner cam is the Sony PD150.) I don't know if you pros would take that as an endorsement or not, but it sounds like one to this amateur (though I plan to stick with what I have).
Patricia Kim is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Panasonic P2HD / AVCCAM / AVCHD / DV Camera Systems > Panasonic DVX / DVC Assistant > Panasonic DV / MX / GS series Assistant