saddened and disappointed at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Panasonic P2HD / AVCCAM / AVCHD / DV Camera Systems > Panasonic DVX / DVC Assistant > Panasonic DV / MX / GS series Assistant

Panasonic DV / MX / GS series Assistant
...and other Panasonic DV camcorders.

Old April 6th, 2004, 07:34 PM   #1
Outer Circle

saddened and disappointed

I'm very saddened that Pana has once again stooped so low, in my opinion. This is no way to conduct business. What am I talking about? No NV-GS100 for us consumers outside of Japan! It was bad enough that North Americans were shutout from the NV-MX3000, and Pana's sloppy firmware coding for the PAL version. Then we had the fiasco with Pana's low light poker styled 1-chip. The Japanese version had the 3.5" LCD, the PAL version had a smaller 3" LCD and North Americans, as usual, got stuck with the smallest, a lowly 2.5" LCD screen! I'm taking about the NV-MX1000 / NV-MX8 / PV-DV852. What other surprises are in-store? Is the new NV/PV GS400 just an updated MX5000? That cam's 2 years old! And do you remember some of Pana's sister's antics? She's no better---which is understandable considering they have the same parent. By the way, Mats_sh_ta is the family surname. What am I talking about? Japan got the "fixed" GR-DV3000 called the GR-DV3500 and we did not. Then Japan got the GR-DV5000 while we only got the stripped down version called the GR-DV4000---did we ever get the GR-DV5000?

Disclaimer: believe only if you're a believer, otherwise chalk it up as one man's opinion. :-))
Frank Granovski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 6th, 2004, 09:53 PM   #2
Inner Circle

totally agree mate...

with the size of the ccds these days, sometimes i wonder if these cams are worth the extra cash compared to the single chippers... especially when it comes to low light...

ok heres the funny thing about prices in oz..
i can get a mx500 for $3800rrp.. but i can also get a DVC30 for a lil under $4400rrp (obviously street price will be less) but when you toss the 2 up, $600 is not all that much when you consider the flexibility the DVC30 offers compared to the MX....

I guess Pana ar using the 3ccd's as a selling tool more than a working tool...
Peter Jefferson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 6th, 2004, 11:12 PM   #3
Major Player

its funny that this is the case and always has been the case yet you still keep a great interest in pana. i'm happy with my cam but i haven't really been into it big until recent so haven't had troubles. however we did get the mx-300 so what is there to complain about. we didn't however get the gs-100 and while i am not in the market for one it would definately be nice to have that extra choice. i am happy that we got the dvc-30 and if i wanted to buy a cam at the moment that would be it but for now i am gonna hang in for hd 3ccd then i will start looking again. It must be pana's competitive prices that keep us coming back.

Justin
Old April 6th, 2004, 11:43 PM   #4
Outer Circle

I'm only saddened and disappointed with what I mentioned. I would still buy a Pana or JVC depending on the model and the price. I just don't want to be cheated with a little 2.5" LCD when the Japanese version gets the big one...among other concerns. Please tell me I have to get a life. :-))
Old April 7th, 2004, 12:18 AM   #5
Major Player

All i know is that i'm totally happy with the choice of going for a japanese gs100, the menus really are a non-issue and i got it for 1500 cdn which i think is a steal.

How is the gs400 inferior to the gs100? It looks about the same to me with boosted still resolution.
Tavis Shaver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 7th, 2004, 01:56 AM   #6
Outer Circle

Quote:
How is the gs400 inferior to the gs100?
The GS400 specs haven't been released yet, so I don't know if it'll be a lesser cam than the GS400. I'm only guessing that the GS400 is an updated MX5000 or perhaps a DVC30 knock-off. When you comnpare the latest GS400 pic from th Pana Spanish site, it very much looks like a MX5000.
Old April 7th, 2004, 03:17 AM   #7
Inner Circle

hey justin, whereabouts are you mate? my supplier only got their hands on a dvc30 about a week ago... street price of 3700... which isnt too bad..

can i ask, how much did u get yours for?
Old April 7th, 2004, 03:37 AM   #8
Major Player

sorry mate.
i'm from perth but i was just saying that i'm glad that the dvc-30 came to australia. i never actually got one. i have an mx-500 and am very happy with it.

Justin
Old April 7th, 2004, 04:12 AM   #9
Inner Circle

it IS a good camera.. i use my mx500 alongside the DVX100 and in good light (ie outside daylight) the only way you can tell the difference of the 2 is by the lens size (DVX is MUCH wider) and DOF.. mind you it took me 3 days to calibrate the buggers to work habd in hand.. but n the end, they work beautifully together...
Did a wedding recently and im editing now.. and i actually got confused about which cam filmed what... thats a good sign in my book!
Old April 7th, 2004, 04:45 AM   #10
Outer Circle

And the MX300 is also a good cam with less LUX requirements than the MX500, but the MX500 has sharper footage, and it is a more solid cam, or so it seems to me.
Old April 7th, 2004, 06:45 AM   #11
Major Player

I'm not holding out much hope for a big breakthrough with the GS400, although Panasonic has the technology to do it. In fact, I'm hearing some good things about what JVC is about to do with small chips. I think that the major manufacturers underestimate what the consumer wants by shooting for the lowest common denominator. They certainly have let marketing drive technology with all the tradeoffs that combination generates. Oh, well. I hope I'm pleasantly surprised.

Quote:
Please tell me I have to get a life.
Frank, you have a life...Panasonic camcorders :-)).
Guy Bruner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 7th, 2004, 08:50 AM   #12
Wrangler

Ditto here Frank.

What am I supposed to upgrade to?
Tommy Haupfear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 7th, 2004, 09:34 AM   #13
Regular Crew

Frank,

The battery for the gs400 seems to be the same one that's gs100 compatible. Is that an indication that the gs400 might be a gs100 successor?

http://www.jandr.com/JRProductPage.p...uct_Id=3974359

Also, the weight at 680g is much closer to the gs100 (650g) compared to the approx 760g for the mx5000/953.

Just a thought.
Joby Arandela is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 8th, 2004, 03:13 AM   #14
Major Player

I don't know. it has been my impression that JVC make promises like this for marketing. aparantly the hd-10 single chip camera has 1ccd and uses RGB filtering which is suppose to produce footage as good as 3ccd but from what i have seen this cam lacks saturation so i really do wonder about what JVC promises. Just a thought
Old April 8th, 2004, 03:35 AM   #15
Outer Circle

Quote:
The battery for the gs400 seems to be the same one that's gs100 compatible. Is that an indication that the gs400 might be a gs100 successor?
Maybe, if the GS400 is also released in Japan, and there are no other "Japan Only" 3-chip surpises...I would guess.
Frank Granovski is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Panasonic P2HD / AVCCAM / AVCHD / DV Camera Systems > Panasonic DVX / DVC Assistant > Panasonic DV / MX / GS series Assistant