Made in Japan; sold in Japan - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Panasonic P2HD / AVCCAM / AVCHD / DV Camera Systems > Panasonic DVX / DVC Assistant > Panasonic DV / MX / GS series Assistant
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Panasonic DV / MX / GS series Assistant
...and other Panasonic DV camcorders.

Old April 22nd, 2004, 12:18 PM   #16
Wrangler

John, there is no MX7000 as George Beck mentioned. Supervideo.com referred to the NV-GS100 as the MX7000 and Black Mamba but the official name is still NV-GS100. Do a search on NV-MX7000 and you'll see what I'm talking about.

George, where did you get those specs from? Sony CCDs?
Tommy Haupfear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 22nd, 2004, 01:21 PM   #17
Major Player

There was a Norway (if I remember correctly) dealer who's specs of GS400 included 1/4.7" CCD
It's a bit strange tho, I just saw a Sony cam with CCDs having the same specs...
Matsushita does now own Sony too... right?
George Beck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 22nd, 2004, 01:32 PM   #18
Wrangler

Quote:
Matsushita does now own Sony too... right?
They are very much still rivals.

Quote:
Matsushita Electric Industrial Co., Ltd. is an electronics manufacturer based in Kadoma, Osaka prefecture, Japan. Its brands include Panasonic, National, Nais, Quasar and Technics, and they are the controlling stockholder of the Japan Victor Company (JVC). It was founded by Konosuke Matsushita in 1918, with its first product being a bicycle lamp. Since then, it has became the largest Japanese electronics producer and competes mainly with Sony, Toshiba and Philips. In addition to electronics Matsushita offers non-electronic products and services such as home renovation services.
- ScienceDaily
Old April 22nd, 2004, 02:18 PM   #19
Major Player

so... no Sony CCD for sure! =))
Old April 22nd, 2004, 03:50 PM   #20
Outer Circle

Sony CCDs? Sony must have had a fire sale. But never mind about all that Son'. I'm still wondering when Pana USA will be bringing in the PV-MX3000. Wait---maybe it's the DVC30? Maybe the GS400 is really the MX5000? (their pics almost match).
Frank Granovski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 22nd, 2004, 04:00 PM   #21
Major Player

hey Frank... what did you put in that pipe of yours today? =)
don't ya be smokin' any weeds and stuf.... without sharing!
=)

as you know the Mx500 is being replaced by the GS400. :)
and by the way there's no other way to look when you put the large optics on that small cam =)

imagine a GS100k with large optics, more resolution and HD =)

at least this time we are all equally blessed with the same specs ;)
Old April 22nd, 2004, 04:36 PM   #22
Outer Circle

I tried that once and met my make or. I think I was 14---rocky concert. After a few hours I was throwing it all up in, hello, back to reality. I never smoked all my life, but started the pipe about 20 years ago. Good for the arthritis, or so I tell myself. How's that for double talk? :-))

From those GS400 pics, the front lens element does look a lot wider than the MX5's. I hope the cam isn't front heavy. :-))
Old April 22nd, 2004, 05:07 PM   #23
Wrangler

Quote:
imagine a GS100k with large optics, more resolution and HD =)
You left one out. English menus! Well that and I wouldn't get too worked up about the HD.

Now its just sit back and wait...
Old April 22nd, 2004, 05:13 PM   #24
Outer Circle

HD in Japan just means high definition and it is not the same thing as MPEG2 HD. :-))

PS: English has become so bastardized over the years that it is now a dying language, eh?
Old April 22nd, 2004, 06:41 PM   #25
Major Player

Frank, I'm in Canada and here HD means at least 720p =)
we just have to put a larger battery on the back to counter the heavier optics ;-)

PS. I'm helpin' with the English there too =) (it's my 3rd language)
Old April 22nd, 2004, 07:12 PM   #26
Major Player

It won't be surprising at all if Pany uses or has been using Sony CCDs. Sony controls the CCD market right? Jap sellers say (talk is cheap but I don't care) Sony tend to save their latest CCDs for their own use (and that seems to be the case), and sells its older ones to whoever needs them. Pany sure could make good use of HAD technology.

From those GS400 pics, they might as well call it an MX. Who knows, the Chuckmeister might be right afterall with MX8000? Pany Japan has been completely quiet on the GS100 replacement and nobody knows for sure what they'll release in Japan and how they'll call it here.

Pany won't be selling a HI-VISION cam for $1,500 or less in the near future.
Allan Rejoso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 22nd, 2004, 07:47 PM   #27
Outer Circle

Quote:
Pany sure could make good use of HAD technology.
Ain't that the truth.

George, Canadian, eh? :-))
Old April 22nd, 2004, 08:10 PM   #28
Major Player

Allan, didn't know that (Sony and the CCD market)
So there's a pretty good chance that the CCD in GS400 will be the same CCD as in Sony's DSR-PDX10.

1/4.7" 1,070,000 pixels

The GS400 has been named the same (more or less in Europe, US, and it does follow the GS named series in Japan).

Frank, Go Leafs GO, eh? ;))
you know I miss so much europen-football (soccer as they call it here), I don't like the games here too much,lots of violence.
and if you have noticed the games americas play are meant for people with Attention Deficit Disorder =) the continious gameplay (or attack) is about 30 sec. basketball, 15 sec baseball, 20 sec football =) I guess thats why when people here watch Euro-football, get confused after watching couple of minutes ;-)) where they don't have those small portions of gameplay :P
Old April 22nd, 2004, 08:56 PM   #29
Outer Circle

I never really liked sports, just school, martial arts and snow---never mind the fairer side; nowadays, pansonical hand-helds and shooting stuff. What I want is 20X zoom, though. Maybe I'll have to switch over to the other side.

I think I got through to Japan with my e-mail, asking about what I asked up top. Down-Under didn't pan out this time.

When those 1/4.7 chips first hit the market, a lot of consumers thought they were big CCDs. Fractions sure do fool a lot of people.
Old April 22nd, 2004, 09:07 PM   #30
Regular Crew

GS100K

So Tommy and all, how do you guys like you GS100's? What did you pay for them and where did you get them - if you're not comfortable answering the price i understand - just ballpark.
and, is this the best 3ccd miniDV camcorder to be had right now in this price range?
thanks,
John
John Haskins is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Panasonic P2HD / AVCCAM / AVCHD / DV Camera Systems > Panasonic DVX / DVC Assistant > Panasonic DV / MX / GS series Assistant