Made in Japan; sold in Japan - Page 3 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Panasonic P2HD / AVCCAM / AVCHD / DV Camera Systems > Panasonic DVX / DVC Assistant > Panasonic DV / MX / GS series Assistant
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Panasonic DV / MX / GS series Assistant
...and other Panasonic DV camcorders.

Old April 22nd, 2004, 10:53 PM   #31
Outer Circle

Tommy got his from Price Japan, because Allan was in Mexico at the time Tommy wanted to order one. A few other members also bought from Price Japan while other bought through Allan or the Chuckmeister's source.

My 2 cents: yes, I think the GS100 is the ultimate hand-held in a small footprint.

The price? Around $1400 US which includes insured shipping. Some got it cheaper before the US Dollar went down against the Japanese Yen.
Frank Granovski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 23rd, 2004, 10:54 AM   #32
Regular Crew

Allan Rejoso

What is his contact info, anyone? Thank you. --John
John Haskins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 23rd, 2004, 11:22 AM   #33
Regular Crew

You can reach Allan here.

rejoso@jcom.home.ne.jp
Paul Jason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 23rd, 2004, 11:43 AM   #34
Regular Crew

THanks, Paul.
-John
Old April 23rd, 2004, 03:34 PM   #35
Outer Circle

Allan's contact e-mail is in the locked top thread of this forum.
Old April 26th, 2004, 01:04 PM   #36
Regular Crew

mx8000 & Allan Rejoso

so apparently there will be a replacement to the Black Mamba MX7000 - at least it is a rumor.

And I still havent heard back from Allan - anyone know if he is indisposed?

Does Allan know anything of the GS100 replacement?
Thanks,
John
Old April 26th, 2004, 04:19 PM   #37
Outer Circle

So far the only new cam announced by Pana is the NV-GS400/PV-GS400.
Old April 26th, 2004, 06:57 PM   #38
Major Player

Hi John,

All the hot rumors about the GS400 are in this mesage board so just stayed tuned. In Japan, there is no info yet about the replacement to the GS100, but it can be easily inferred that a new one should be coming out in July. It's an Olympics year afterall. The replacement could be this GS400 or it could be a different one especially designed to suit the taste of the Jap market.

Sorry I havent answered your mail because I cant find the black mamba, but I remember the member Aaron Kwinter is trying to sell his.

Very few brand new units of the silver GS100 are still available but their prices (in Yen) have gone back to Aug 2003 levels (JPY118,000 - 126,000 plus 5% tax). For your info, prices of the black mamba went down to as low as 100,000 at the end of Feb 2004. Note that the value of Yen against the US$ has gone up from around 115 (in summer last year) to around 108 these days.

So if you really want the black mamba, your best bet would be those members who may want to sell theirs for any reason. If they got their cam from me, PJ or the Chuckmeister, you are guaranteed they got their cams brand new less than a year ago. There is a huge second hand electronics shop in Tokyo but I haven't seen a used black mamba for sale, perhaps because that cam is one hell of a good buy (for those who own it). BTW, I have a black mamba too (actually the very last unit I grabbed in Feb) and I'm not selling it :-)). Anybody interested to get my Optura100 with DM-50??? Unfortunately, it's the Jap version (PV130).

Allan Rejoso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 26th, 2004, 07:37 PM   #39
Regular Crew

Allan, Mx8000 etc

Hi, Allan. No problem. Thanks for the reply.
I dont have to have a Black Mamba - i was curious about it, but if we are on the heels of a new model that might be better - i may wait.

I dont know yet. Is Panasonic going to go HDV in 2004, early '05?

If there were no GS100 - what is the next best thing in the price range of the GS100 or lower ---- looking for clean color, etc.

Thanks. I will let you know what's up. I'll keep an eye out for the latest on what is next.

'Preciate it, Allan and all,
JOHN haskins
Old April 26th, 2004, 07:50 PM   #40
Outer Circle

If you're serious, Allan can still get you a silver GS100.
Old April 26th, 2004, 08:09 PM   #41
Major Player

Re: Allan, Mx8000 etc

<<<-- Originally posted by John Haskins :

I dont have to have a Black Mamba - i was curious about it, but if we are on the heels of a new model that might be better - i may wait.

Yes, you'd better wait for this GS400 or the upcoming Opturas.

I dont know yet. Is Panasonic going to go HDV in 2004, early '05?

HDV is the only way to go, but it will probably take YEARS before a $1K HDV cam would be made available. In the meantime, enjoy shooting in DV format.

If there were no GS100 - what is the next best thing in the price range of the GS100 or lower ---- looking for clean color, etc.

Every cam make has its strong points and weak point so in the end, it's mostly a matter of preferences. But if you can afford to spend for top-class consumer cams and willing to do so, then IMO you might as well stick to that class. This is just a personal thing but I like the Canon Opturas too (there is something about the Canon look that I really like - and I have one). Also, I feel the Sony PC300 video looked great (despite my bias against Sony's color saturation) and I find its new touch-screen menu to be cool. One more thing, good quality widescreen has become important to me since last year (and on that aspect my black mamba blows my Optura100 away), although there are some issues when it comes to sharing video with friends and relatives who own 4:3 TVs.

You can also have a look at top class models of previous years (the Pany 953, the 852, JVC's 3000/4000/5000 and of course Optura100 are good cams too) and they should be a lot cheaper now.

Good luck!
Old April 26th, 2004, 08:33 PM   #42
Outer Circle

Re: "JVC's 3000/4000/5000"

Missed one: 3000/3500/4000/5000.
Old April 26th, 2004, 09:17 PM   #43
Regular Crew

Allan, Mx8000 etc

Thanks, Allan and Frank.

I want a 3 chip for sure - going to do some serious keying and I need the best color separation i can get.

i know DV isnt the best for keying, but there are workarounds, enhancements, etc.

So in the 3 chip realm, i still like the GS100 for now.

Optura is still a 1 chip, right?

Thanks,
John
Old April 26th, 2004, 09:30 PM   #44
Major Player

The 2 contending design (marketing) concepts right now:

3 small CCDS and small optics, against, 1 big multi-MP CCD and huge lens with RGB filter.

Which is more important to you, sharpness or color richness and accuracy?
Old April 26th, 2004, 09:49 PM   #45
Major Player

I'll go for bight and bright lens, optical stabiliser and true resolution (540 lines). The sensor should be sensitive to 1 lux illumination, and the colour should be accurate (not rich, just rich enough). As a matter of fact, the camera that I like is available in the market, but paying US$10,000 for a camera is not possible for a structural engineer in Signapore.
Yow Cheong Hoe is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Panasonic P2HD / AVCCAM / AVCHD / DV Camera Systems > Panasonic DVX / DVC Assistant > Panasonic DV / MX / GS series Assistant