High Definition lens? say what? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Panasonic P2HD / AVCCAM / AVCHD / DV Camera Systems > Panasonic DVX / DVC Assistant > Panasonic DV / MX / GS series Assistant

Panasonic DV / MX / GS series Assistant
...and other Panasonic DV camcorders.

Old May 2nd, 2004, 09:58 PM   #1
Major Player

High Definition lens? say what?

have you ever thought about those things before buying your wide-angle adaptor for you dv953?

or any other extras you put infront of your lecia beauty?

do they make the image worse, delivering low-quality image?

here are some answers:

http://www.imx.nl/photosite/technical/highres.html
http://medfmt.8k.com/mf/resolution.html

does anyone have idea on what's the least lens' definition required for DV953 so you don't lose quality?
George Beck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 2nd, 2004, 10:09 PM   #2
Outer Circle

Great photography links, thanks.
Frank Granovski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 2nd, 2004, 10:19 PM   #3
Major Player

Frank, the links are for photography, but I posted them for the issue of lens definition, which is relevant to camcorders too.

when you have a 1/6" CCD with 800K pixels like in DV953, you need very good lenses to have the quality of the image preserved.
don't you?
Old May 2nd, 2004, 11:26 PM   #4
Outer Circle

What you need are adaptors designed for the PV-DV953, or at least adaptors that offer you the least amount of problems. Any added lens will degrade the image somewhat. I never bother with them for a video cam.
Old May 3rd, 2004, 07:52 AM   #5
Major Player

what about filters?
you do put something to protect the original lenses right?
Old May 3rd, 2004, 08:32 AM   #6
Major Player

heh george i too wonder about that. Do lens protectors affect the optics of the lens. my brother bought a lens for his nikon worth around 3500 and he was told not to put a protector on it because the glass in it was more scratch resistant then any other glass you would put over it. I don't know if i like this idea.

Justin
Old May 3rd, 2004, 10:07 AM   #7
Major Player

I can even crack the filter and not worry, since I can replace it right away, with pocket-change-cost.
But even slight damage to the lens will be considerable trouble.

The popping question is how much image degradation we get rom the extra filter/lens?

Lens definition is measured with line pair per mm.

Can someone find how much lp/mm do we need from a lens so when we screw the adapter on DV953 or GS400 we get optimum image resolution?

What about the "lens' sweet spot"? do we have something like this in camcorders?
Old May 3rd, 2004, 01:24 PM   #8
Major Player

According to what I have read, the best CCDs for digital cameras (higher resolution than video CCDs) can resolve around 30 lpmm. Also I have read that in order not to degrade the resolution, the lens needs to have 2 to 3 times the resolution of the capture device or around 90 lpmm. I'm away from my references, so could have gotten this wrong.
Guy Bruner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 3rd, 2004, 06:57 PM   #9
Trustee

So far as lens protection goes i use a premium slim filter with multicoating. My 82mm Hoya SMC thin UV has 6 coatings on each side , has a 3mm frame and a scratch resistant surface coating. The Hoya is also made with the water white glass. (everything helps)

That filter stays on the lens. Since stacking filters on a wide angle will cause vignetting, I use a matte box for any other filtration.

I'd rather lose that than my Wide Angle or prime lens and i've made sure that it will cause minimal degradation to my picture.

Bear in mind that I'm totally anal when it comes to my lens and have paid my dues on this planet. When I was younger, I usually took the cheaper way out.

The difference in cost between the cheapest and the best isn't always that much. log on to 2filter.com or B&H and browse through the various filter types. Quite often the B+W or Hoya SMC and the Tiffen will be minimal. sometimes the better unit will be cheaper.

Frank is one of the better shoppers and usually winds up with the best bang for the buck. Check out www.dvfreak.com
Old May 3rd, 2004, 09:18 PM   #10
Regular Crew

Okay, I've got a geniune Pana WA lens on my MX500. Is there any (easy) way I can mount a filter on this setup?
Old May 3rd, 2004, 09:26 PM   #11
Trustee

What's the ourside diameter in mm?
Old May 3rd, 2004, 10:22 PM   #12
Major Player

Bryan, thanx =)

I find those tips very useful. I'll probably get something similar for my gs400.
Old May 3rd, 2004, 11:37 PM   #13
Trustee

If I have the OD of the Wide Angle Adapter cavision may have an adapter ring that will allow the use of their rubber clamp on lens shade. That's the same shade that's used on the matte box. It's darned nice for $60 US, they have a 105mm filter thread and I think the 105mm protection filter is also $60 US. You could buy the 105mm filter and have it coated at an obliging vision care lab.

http://www.cavision.com/LensHood/LH100S.htm

I use this shade on my 85mm OD Optex .65 WA adapter. If I don't need the matte box I clamp the shade on. The rubber shade is a great shock absorber ;-)
Old May 4th, 2004, 03:24 AM   #14
Outer Circle

Bryan, I recall that rubber hood company you had mentioned a few times. If someone wants a hood for their threadless adaptor, like you suggested, measure the outside front rim area of the adaptor and then order the one that matches. What is that link again?
Old May 5th, 2004, 10:30 PM   #15
Trustee

The link was in my last post just above yours. WWW.cavision.com
It's on Boundary Road about where Canada Way crosses over it.

www.cavision.com

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Panasonic P2HD / AVCCAM / AVCHD / DV Camera Systems > Panasonic DVX / DVC Assistant > Panasonic DV / MX / GS series Assistant