Tape test at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Panasonic P2HD / AVCCAM / AVCHD / DV Camera Systems > Panasonic DVX / DVC Assistant > Panasonic DV / MX / GS series Assistant

Panasonic DV / MX / GS series Assistant
...and other Panasonic DV camcorders.

Old May 5th, 2004, 05:56 PM   #1
Trustee

Tape test

I have just raised a question on the 2-pop Forum on why there are not serious tests on all DV tapes around, computing dropout figures, artifacts, etc.

When audio cassettes were being used all around, there were lots of tests on audio mags testing them. Some of them were "suspect", but I did read tests on Studio Sound Magazine (sadly now gone) on DAT tapes.

Where can we got ask for such tests and be heard?

Carlos
Carlos E. Martinez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 5th, 2004, 07:14 PM   #2
Outer Circle

I only saw 1 extensive tape test but it's not posted anymore. Fuji is best, by the way. :-))
Frank Granovski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 5th, 2004, 09:57 PM   #3
Wrangler

I could see where tape tests would be good for analog audio recordings but it seems to be only quality issues with DV tapes and could vary from spool to spool.

Thats why you should just stick with Fuji.

As always its a good rule of thumb not to mix tape brands (especially if Sony is your primary MiniDV tape).

http://www.hosannaproductions.com/ti...ubricants.html
Tommy Haupfear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 6th, 2004, 07:44 AM   #4
Major Player

actually guys i did read a review once myself also and i was glad to see that fuji is the best. now i don't know if all fujis are as good as each other but i bought fuji's because at the time they were the cheapest i could find and i couldn't afford anything different because i had just forked out money on the cam and since i got it second hand i didnt get any tapes with it. Both these reasons to me are reason enough to use fuji.

Justin
Old May 6th, 2004, 07:49 AM   #5
Major Player

If you use a cleaning tape to clean the head between different types of tape is it still "unsafe" to do so?
(especially Sony tapes...)
George Beck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 6th, 2004, 07:54 AM   #6
Major Player

george i would not put my life on this because i have no idea but i bet the general consensus you are going to get from that is that it is best that you don't use head cleaners unless you really really have to because they will ruin ur heads in the long run

Justin
Old May 6th, 2004, 10:10 AM   #7
Wrangler

Justin is right in that you would want to use a head cleaner sparingly.

Frank has an informative section about this on his website http://www.dvfreak.com/tape.htm
Tommy Haupfear is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Panasonic P2HD / AVCCAM / AVCHD / DV Camera Systems > Panasonic DVX / DVC Assistant > Panasonic DV / MX / GS series Assistant