MX500 original accesories? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Panasonic P2HD / AVCCAM / AVCHD / DV Camera Systems > Panasonic DVX / DVC Assistant > Panasonic DV / MX / GS series Assistant

Panasonic DV / MX / GS series Assistant
...and other Panasonic DV camcorders.

Old May 6th, 2004, 05:54 AM   #1
Regular Crew

MX500 original accesories?

Now it's time for another questions...
I've read a lot of thread on wide converter, tripop, microphone etc.
Now I'm very courious about microphne, for short range ?ve a shurec606, but sometimes I would a microphnoe directly linked to the upper connector (I don't now how I can name it), Some people use apex 191, anyone tested the panasonic VW-VMS1? It's cheaper...
In your opinion wich is the best microphone for the mx500? Of course not too expensive...
Bye...
Marco Mezzalana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 6th, 2004, 07:50 AM   #2
Major Player

heh
well well well. there used to be a lot of topics on this. If you want to get value for money have a talk with frank. He too was asking this question and i dont remember what mic he ended up with was. I have a JVC mic that is not listed anywhere but i am very happy with that. If you look through all the threads you are sure to find something.

Justin
Old May 6th, 2004, 07:58 AM   #3
Major Player

heh marco here is a pic of the side profile of my cam. it makes it look !@#$ loads better
http://www.geocities.com/sniper_y2k2000/camera.html

Justin

P.S. if you get another mic for ur cam don't be tempted to carry the cam with it. you might regret it
Old May 6th, 2004, 09:21 AM   #4
Regular Crew

Wow so cool...how much it cost this huge microphone?
I think pana mic is very godd, but sometimes (especially during quite scenes) I think it isn't not too accurate, so I'm looking for a mic like your.
Excuse me (sorry there's many difference from english to italian..) but what do you mean "if you get another mic for ur cam don't be tempted to carry the cam with it.

PS with a Hama wide hood your camera looks like a professional camera...
Old May 6th, 2004, 09:48 AM   #5
Regular Crew

I perform a search and I found some name, but ther's the same problem...I have to buy it in internet without any test. I must trust forum user tests, but (you can understand me) I not happy spent hundreds of euro without any test...

now this is my wish list at B&H:
Hama wide angle hood (52mm)
Stepup ring (from 43 to 52)
A good mic

I decide to not buy an wide angle converter 'cause its barrel distorsion...
I hope Frank can suggest me a good mic (and why not?even a good hood...)

Marco "the doubtful"
Old May 6th, 2004, 03:19 PM   #6
Outer Circle

A good mic? Pana's stereo zoom mic improves audio somewhat. I decided to go with a cardioid, one which is 1/2 way between a cardioid and hyper-cardioid, in terms of pattern. That mic is the Apex 191. It' costs $99 Canadian, which is about $72 US. The shock mount for the hot-shoe is the Sennheiser MZS6 that I use for the Apex. You will need a short (1-foot) XLR to 1/8" plug adaptor, and a foam rubber thingy of just "fluff" to cover the mic---softens the audio.
Frank Granovski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 7th, 2004, 12:18 AM   #7
Regular Crew

Someone purchase azden ECZ-990, Have you tested it? I consider that because I can found it at b&H photo, so I coul order this mic, a lens hood, ad a tripod, in this way if I have to spent 30€ in shipment cost I do it one time only...
I search apex, but it's very hard to find it in europe...
Frank have you a hood attached to your camera, if yes wich one?I found this: 52mm Screw-In Plastic Wide Angle Lens Hood with Cap at b&H.
Last question (excuse me), at b&H I found this tripod: bescor TH-650 Industrial High Performance Tripod with Fluid Head - Supports 11 lbs...it sound like a good system, do you agree?

Thank for your support Marco

PS I try to insert a web link but I was not to be able to do it sorry!
Old May 7th, 2004, 12:56 AM   #8
Outer Circle

I've now only used the Apex twice, on my MX300.

Re: "Frank have you a hood attached to your camera." - There are hoods on all my cams/lenses. Rubber hoods.

Re: "I found this: 52mm Screw-In Plastic Wide Angle Lens Hood with Cap at b&H." - Why not get a 43mm rubber hood?

Re: "bescor TH-650 Industrial High Performance Tripod with Fluid Head - Supports 11 lbs...it sound like a good system." - I don't have a clue. I rather like Manfrotto 'pods/heads (sold as Bogan in the USA).
Old May 7th, 2004, 01:09 AM   #9
Major Player

Marco what i was meaning is that if you carry the cam by the mic there is a chance that it might break ur mic. they aren't designed as a handle. it used to work well for me till one day it broke off so now it is glued up.

Justin
Old May 7th, 2004, 01:23 AM   #10
Regular Crew

to frank: Thank you so much, very useful suggest, you're right why not 43mm rubber hood, I think I'm stupid sometimes...but you get a wide angle hood?And if I want connect a UV-protector filter I can do it?
I will get some information for the mic...

to justin: ok, I've understand now, but you can be sure I carry my cam only in the right way...
Old May 7th, 2004, 03:07 AM   #11
Outer Circle

Quote:
but you get a wide angle hood? And if I want connect a UV-protector filter I can do it? I will get some information for the mic
It depends on the wide angle adaptor, concening if you can screw on a filter to it. Raynox and Tiffens come with front filter threads while the Pana wide does not. If you want to put on filters you should get the expensive, ultra thin 3mm Hoya, the one with threads on both sides, so you will have the option of screwing on a hood to the filter. The hood is more important than the UV with a wide angle lens. Thicker filters will more easily cause vignetting on a wide. The hood is to block unwanted light causing streaking, but a hood will also protect the lens and lens housing somewhat. B+W make good rubber hoods for wide angle lenses.

Regarding the mic, I can give you a Canadian website that sells Apex mics. (The 191 is $99 Canadian.) Bryan Beasleigh turned me on to this mic after he did a bunch of research and tests. If you make a search for this mic in the audio forum (Now Hear This), The Apex 191 will pop up several times at least.

Keep in mind that the Apex 191 is not a directional mic. It picks up sound in an oval pattern pointing forward, from the sides of the mic and the front. This was one of the type of mics I wanted, to pick up a wider range of surrounding sounds opposed to zooming in a specific sound. The other one costs too much money for me and is a way too big for my small cams.
Old May 7th, 2004, 03:23 AM   #12
Regular Crew

really thanks, now I search for apex...I consider to post a thread in audio section...

Bye
Old May 7th, 2004, 05:59 AM   #13
Major Player

Marco,
If you are interested in the Hama rectangular hoods, take a look in the DV953 album on my website. I have a 52mm Hama hood that attaches to my DV953 with a 43-52mm stepup ring. By the way, the description of this hood at B&H is incorrect. It is not a screw on hood. It is a clip on. If you are still interested, I suggest getting the 55mm hood. It should clip onto the outer flange of the MX500's stock hood, right in front of the focus ring which would eliminate the need for a stepup ring. I have only eyeballed this, though. You might want to measure the outer diameter of the stock hood to make sure it is 55mm before you buy one. Due to the way these hoods are made, you can't put a filter behind them unless you screw a stepup ring into the filter and then clip the hood to that.
Guy Bruner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 7th, 2004, 07:32 AM   #14
Regular Crew

I found ispiration from your site for hama hood...yes my mx500 have its hood with the external diameter of 55 mm, so I will attached the hama to the original panasonic hood correct? could it be damaged? If I want to use the same hood with another cam, such as nv-ds28 what I need? The nvds28 has 37mm lens diameter but the outer flange is 43mm...so the clip will be attached to an external stepup ring wich 37-43mm, right?

thanks
Old May 7th, 2004, 08:06 AM   #15
Major Player

Marco,
If you want to use the hood with both the MX500 and the DS28, I would use a 37-55mm stepup ring on the DS28. You can't mount a stepup ring to the outside of the flange on it. I don't believe mounting the hood on the outer flange of the MX500 will damage it. But, it is a press on fit with a clamp, so any grit or dirt might scratch the flange.
Guy Bruner is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Panasonic P2HD / AVCCAM / AVCHD / DV Camera Systems > Panasonic DVX / DVC Assistant > Panasonic DV / MX / GS series Assistant