Prob. w/New SD Card & dv852 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Panasonic P2HD / AVCCAM / AVCHD / DV Camera Systems > Panasonic DVX / DVC Assistant > Panasonic DV / MX / GS series Assistant

Panasonic DV / MX / GS series Assistant
...and other Panasonic DV camcorders.

Old May 7th, 2004, 11:44 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Prob. w/New SD Card & dv852

I just got a dv852 and so far, love it. I got a good deal on Ebay and it arrived in one piece and seems to check out okay.

Only glitch I'm having so far is in getting my PC (Win XP Prof) to read the new Transcend 128mg SD card I bought. The camera came with an 8mg card which the PC reads perfectly.

Has anyone had experiences with higher capacity and higher speed cards? The Transcend is a 45x card. It seems to read and write in the 852 just fine.

I have a 512mg Transcend CF card for my Fuji 602 that works flawlessly with the same computer. Any ideas?
www.txactor.com
Thomas Kendrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 8th, 2004, 05:23 AM   #2
Outer Circle

Maybe there's something wrong with the card?
Frank Granovski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 8th, 2004, 06:34 AM   #3
Major Player

Tommy,
Describe the problem you are having. For example, can you read the 8 Meg card from the DV852 but not the 128 Meg card? What happens with the pictures. For example, do the 128 Meg card pictures come across as a small block across the top of the frame?

My experience with the Panasonic USB driver is pretty bad. I don't use the USB transfer at all any more. I have a small multiformat CF card reader that I use to transfer my pictures.
Guy Bruner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 8th, 2004, 10:10 AM   #4
Regular Crew

SD Card Problem Followup

<<<-- Originally posted by Guy Bruner : Tommy,
Describe the problem you are having. For example, can you read the 8 Meg card from the DV852 but not the 128 Meg card? What happens with the pictures. For example, do the 128 Meg card pictures come across as a small block across the top of the frame?

My experience with the Panasonic USB driver is pretty bad. I don't use the USB transfer at all any more. I have a small multiformat CF card reader that I use to transfer my pictures. -->>>

The card seems to be fine as I can perform all functions when going USB from camera to computer. However, when I take tha SC card out of the camera and try to use it with my multi-card reader, it tells me the card is not formatted. Last night I tried reformatting it with FAT32 and the format failed. I then reformatted the card in-camera and it works fine as long as I don't try to use it in an external card reader. Obviously, I should be able to do both and would prefer to pop out the card and stick it in the reader, which is always attached to my PC.

I've read some other posts on the net about problems with some of the SD and CF cards, FAT32 and various Digicams.

For now, I can use the camera as my 'drive' but I hope to get this solved so I can use the external reader.

Thanks for all the help.

Tommy
www.txactor.com
Thomas Kendrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 8th, 2004, 04:26 PM   #5
Major Player

Tommy,
Someone else may want to confirm this but I believe the SD cards in the camera are FAT16 not FAT32.
Guy Bruner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 8th, 2004, 04:57 PM   #6
Wrangler

Its always recommended to format your memory cards in-camera but the problem seems to be more with your external reader. I used an external reader no problem with my MX1000 (DV852) since the cam was Japanese and I never took the time to find the driver.
Tommy Haupfear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 8th, 2004, 10:49 PM   #7
Regular Crew

<<<-- Originally posted by Tommy Haupfear : Its always recommended to format your memory cards in-camera but the problem seems to be more with your external reader. I used an external reader no problem with my MX1000 (DV852) since the cam was Japanese and I never took the time to find the driver. -->>>

I agree. I initially formatted the new SD card in-camera. When I ran into a problem I tried reformatting it in WinXP. That didn't work.

I'll try the card in some other readers as the 45x speed may be too much for this old multi-card reader I'm using. In the meantime I can still use the USB connection between camera and PC.

The camera is proving to be all that it was touted on this forum. Especially for under $500.

Now I've got to learn how to use a NLE...this is really cutting into my online poker time. :)

Tommy
www.txactor.com
Thomas Kendrick is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Panasonic P2HD / AVCCAM / AVCHD / DV Camera Systems > Panasonic DVX / DVC Assistant > Panasonic DV / MX / GS series Assistant