GS400 - still MTF over correction? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Panasonic P2HD / AVCCAM / AVCHD / DV Camera Systems > Panasonic DVX / DVC Assistant > Panasonic DV / MX / GS series Assistant
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Panasonic DV / MX / GS series Assistant
...and other Panasonic DV camcorders.

Old June 10th, 2004, 09:40 AM   #1
Regular Crew

GS400 - still MTF over correction?

Most Panasonic miniDV camcorders have one characteristic that I don't like. This is a Modulation Transfer Function (MTF) correction. This correction is for achievement higher resolution, but fact is a picture became with contrast border around thin lines. It looks like strong "unsharp mask" filter.

Panasonic MX500 - very high MTF correction:
http://www.videomax.ru/tests/capaso/data/HromoMX500.jpg

Canon MVX3i - normal MTF:
http://www.videomax.ru/tests/capaso/data/HromoMVX3i.jpg

What can we expect from GS400?
Old June 10th, 2004, 06:45 PM   #2
Wrangler

Quote:
What can we expect from GS400?

Who knows.. A consumer Panasonic 3CCD with what appears to have a similar CCD/Pixel arrangement as the TRV950 and PDX10. My GS100 does not exhibit this halo effect as much my past DV953. You can manual turn the sharpness down in both cams.
Tommy Haupfear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 10th, 2004, 08:22 PM   #3
Major Player

Hey Tommy two questions for you, how do you turn the sharpness down on the gs100 and what's the deal with the capture still to tape function (how do you stop it recording once you press the button)
Tavis Shaver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 11th, 2004, 09:03 AM   #4
Wrangler

Tavis, in manual mode enter the GS100 menu and select #2 (Advanced Functions). Then in Advanced Functions select #2 (Picture Adjustments) and then move the arrow to the right for (YES). From there you will have adjustments for sharpness and color. I don't have my GS100 in front of me and I'm not sure which is sharpness or color (top or bottom) but a simple slide of one of the bars should solve that mystery.

Still to tape? I think it records about seven seconds of audio with each still to tape. I never use this feature but the DV953 manual says that after the 7 seconds that the camera will go back to record pause.
Tommy Haupfear is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Panasonic P2HD / AVCCAM / AVCHD / DV Camera Systems > Panasonic DVX / DVC Assistant > Panasonic DV / MX / GS series Assistant