GS400 review with 16:9 clip - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Panasonic P2HD / AVCCAM / AVCHD / DV Camera Systems > Panasonic DVX / DVC Assistant > Panasonic DV / MX / GS series Assistant
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Panasonic DV / MX / GS series Assistant
...and other Panasonic DV camcorders.

Old July 22nd, 2004, 08:22 AM   #16
Regular Crew

11 videoclips by GS400 (NTSC).
You saw it? I am very impressed.
Old July 22nd, 2004, 02:44 PM   #17
Major Player

This guy's site is getting swamped and is in danger of exceeding the bandwidth limit he has. If you want to look at the videos, do the guy a favor and download them (right click, save target as) instead of streaming them. Many folks are looking at them repeatedley and running up the meter.

Be kind, rewind, er, or something like that!

Dennis Vogel
Dennis Vogel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 24th, 2004, 06:04 PM   #18
Trustee

I get nothing-
Old July 24th, 2004, 06:14 PM   #19
Wrangler

Steve, Guy's website has exceeded its monthly bandwidth and the video clips will be back on August 1st.

Quote:
FortVir really appreciates your interest in the video clips and pictures in our albums. However, the site has exceeded its inital alloted bandwidth and is about to exceed its extended bandwidth. So, I have temporarily removed access to the albums to conserve remaining bandwidth. The gallery will be back up on August 1.
A big thanks to Guy and his informative site. Its amazing how much bandwidth us video guys can go thru!
Tommy Haupfear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 24th, 2004, 06:58 PM   #20
Major Player

No, we won't see those clips again - here's why...

see one of the other threads. Guy has announced that he will no longer offer the clips as per Chris Hurd's urging. Apparently, everyone in the Canon camp is soooo nervous that the GS400 is providing such excellent image quality (690K x 3ccd EFFECTIVE video on 1/4.7" chips), there is a fear that no one will buy the XL2 when they can get 3 or 4 GS400's instead for the same money... er, isn't that the reason, fellas? :) Oh yeah, and some other baloney about intellectual property, copyright issues.

There is already a testimonial out of Japan that the normal, auto mode 60i 4:3 image quality of the GS400 beats that of the DVC30 hands-down.

And the procinema 30p frame mode is said to be "amazing."

We are patiently awaiting Japanese and UK GS400 owners who already have the camera in hand to post some clips somewhere and offer first-hand reports... But they have been so busy being blown away having fun using the camera, they don't have time to come here to read up on posts from the likes of myself who has to wait until the end of August to get one in his hands unless I take a trip to Europe or Japan!
Mark Kubat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 24th, 2004, 07:13 PM   #21
Trustee

Re: No, we won't see those clips again - here's why...

The normal 4:3 image of GS400 being superior to DVC30 might be right. That is the impression I got comparing the two. There's a huge operation ability differences between the two, but the image quality difference beats the few inconveniences on GS400.

I finished capturing the video from GS100 and GS400 and now on DVC30, so wait a while. The clips may be reay tonight. What would be the ideal file size for everybody (at least most of you) prefer to download?
The maximum throughput I have is about 30Mbps.

<<<-- Originally posted by Mark Kubat : see one of the other threads. Guy has announced that he will no longer offer the clips as per Chris Hurd's urging. Apparently, everyone in the Canon camp is soooo nervous that the GS400 is providing such excellent image quality (690K x 3ccd EFFECTIVE video on 1/4.7" chips), there is a fear that no one will buy the XL2 when they can get 3 or 4 GS400's instead for the same money... er, isn't that the reason, fellas? :) Oh yeah, and some other baloney about intellectual property, copyright issues.

There is already a testimonial out of Japan that the normal, auto mode 60i 4:3 image quality of the GS400 beats that of the DVC30 hands-down.

And the procinema 30p frame mode is said to be "amazing."

We are patiently awaiting Japanese and UK GS400 owners who already have the camera in hand to post some clips somewhere and offer first-hand reports... But they have been so busy being blown away having fun using the camera, they don't have time to come here to read up on posts from the likes of myself who has to wait until the end of August to get one in his hands unless I take a trip to Europe or Japan! -->>>
Kaku Ito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 24th, 2004, 07:20 PM   #22
Major Player

Kaku, thank you!

Kaku, thank you for your reply!

Your feedback is exciting - wow - I was impressed by the DVC30, so if this GS400 turns out to actually be better...

A hiqh-quality clip makes the most sense because anything with quality compromised sort of defeats the purpose - even if it was only avail. as a zip for us to download and view locally, that might be the better option - you are sure to have a lot of interest!

How is the procinema mode 30p?
Old July 24th, 2004, 07:25 PM   #23
Major Player

Kaku, thank you!

Kaku, thank you for your reply!

Your feedback is exciting - wow - I was impressed by the DVC30, so if this GS400 turns out to actually be better...

A hiqh-quality clip makes the most sense because anything with quality compromised sort of defeats the purpose - even if it was only avail. as a zip for us to download and view locally, that might be the better option - you are sure to have a lot of interest!

How is the procinema mode 30p?
Old July 24th, 2004, 07:37 PM   #24
Major Player

Quote:
Guy has announced that he will no longer offer the clips as per Chris Hurd's urging.
Chris didn't "urge" me to do anything. I told him that I didn't have a copyright release and would not be putting the videos back up. He rightly declined to post them. Chris has generously offered to host video from the GS400 that doesn't have copyright issues. If you have some footage, please let him know. I, too, look forward to seeing more examples of what this cam can do.
Guy Bruner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 24th, 2004, 07:47 PM   #25
Major Player

Guy, I was trying to be funny!

Hence the smiley!

Please take no offense - although, I have to confess, I streamed more than my fair share from www.fortvir.net in light of being so excited by the clips you had kindly provided.

How very prudent of you guys to recognize the copyright issue - looks like we'll have to wait for first-hand clips via the likes of Kaku...

Guy, your albums were incredible in the sense of how they truly offered people here in North America a sneak peak - especially compared to the HC1000 etc.

I'm sure I am not alone when I say thank you - right now, Panasonic will more than likely be having more than one GS400 purchase from me when the time comes thanks to what I saw at www.fortvir.net - especially those "extra" clips more recently offered ever so briefly...

Guy, can you maybe come up with some instructions how we can all safely spray-paint our GS400s to be black?

Cheers!
Old July 24th, 2004, 08:07 PM   #26
Major Player

Thanks for the kind words, Mark. Maybe I'll have some more videos, not copyrighted, when I get my bandwidth back in August.

Kaku,
I suggest encoding the files in WMV 9 at 1 Mbps, 720x480, but keep the file size around 3 MB. 30 Mbps is going to be pretty slow and the demand is highly likely to be immense (based on experience). I really encourage you to contact Chris. He said he has plenty of bandwidth for video.

BTW, there are pictures of the PAL GS400 down near the bottom of this thread.
Guy Bruner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 24th, 2004, 08:15 PM   #27
Trustee

another way is to store the files on my dotMac site. But I will have to purchase extra disk space.

<<<-- Originally posted by Guy Bruner : Thanks for the kind words, Mark. Maybe I'll have some more videos, not copyrighted, when I get my bandwidth back in August.

Kaku,
I suggest encoding the files in WMV 9 at 1 Mbps, 720x480, but keep the file size around 3 MB. 30 Mbps is going to be pretty slow and the demand is highly likely to be immense (based on experience). I really encourage you to contact Chris. He said he has plenty of bandwidth for video.

BTW, there are pictures of the PAL GS400 down near the bottom of this thread. -->>>
Kaku Ito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 24th, 2004, 09:57 PM   #28
Regular Crew

If all else fails there is always the Usenet (News groups). Could put them in a group like alt.binaries.mpeg

By the way, the Japan site has the 360 degree animation running now.

http://panasonic.jp/dvc/gs400k/
Rokta Bija is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 25th, 2004, 03:54 AM   #29
Major Player

Thing is, the samples next month would be pitting procinema/progressive/cinematic samples taken using the new Canon XL2, the Pany GS400 and DVX100 and the Sony350 :-) :-( :-) :-(.

For visitors in Japan after August 20, try to get a copy of Digital Video No. 9.

Ok gotta catch my flight. see you guys from an internet cafe somewhere :-)
Allan Rejoso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 25th, 2004, 10:45 PM   #30
Regular Crew

Looks like Robin Liss is going to post a review about the GS400 tomorrow on camcorderinfo. Check out what she said so far.

http://www.camcorderinfo.com/bbs/t104963.html
Rokta Bija is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Panasonic P2HD / AVCCAM / AVCHD / DV Camera Systems > Panasonic DVX / DVC Assistant > Panasonic DV / MX / GS series Assistant