New Panasonic GS400K - Page 3 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Panasonic P2HD / AVCCAM / AVCHD / DV Camera Systems > Panasonic DVX / DVC Assistant > Panasonic DV / MX / GS series Assistant
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Panasonic DV / MX / GS series Assistant
...and other Panasonic DV camcorders.

Old July 13th, 2004, 03:01 AM   #31
Major Player

Yes, the pix in screen res looks good, I have never questioned that. It ie the marketing department that says 4MP (meaning: rivals 4MP of Canon G3), now that's way off. That's about resolution. But the edge sharpness, lens bokeh, colour interpretation, etc, they just don't match up with a still digicam. But I, too, have shot some stills from my video cam in desperate situations...

I can't use Movie Maker 2.0 either. Nothing works, everything hangs and crashes. That's been the case ever since the upgrade from Version 1. Strange...

Pioneer DVD players play NTSC and PAL sutomatically, too. And TV in South East Asia are both NTSC and PAL, too. But broadcast and camcorders are PAL.
SW: iMovie, Final Cut Pro, Adobe Premiere, Ulead Video Studio, various little utilities
Yow Cheong Hoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 13th, 2004, 09:16 AM   #32
Major Player

Difficult for me to compare Rokta. The scenes are not identical, not to mention that the lady model in the Sony samples reminds me of my Loved one :-))

Well, see for yourself the new uploads at Guy's site. To be fair, I used the same compression level with that of the GS400. We all have to thank Guy for providing his site to everybody! But I made the stupid mistake of putting the same caption (HC1000) on all 9 samples :-).

The night scene of the passing boat, that's better than normal right? I haven't actually shot a similar scene but I thought the level of detail and clarity of the dark river is pretty impressive. Noise level appears to be very low.
Allan Rejoso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 13th, 2004, 05:40 PM   #33
Major Player

Drat! I'm on 26.4 dialup this week! Can't view these until this weekend.

Allan,
Thanks for converting and uploading the videos. You have editorial control over the captions. Just click on the dropdown box below the icon and select "Edit Text." Change the caption to whatever you want.
Guy Bruner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 14th, 2004, 11:29 AM   #34
Regular Crew

Allan,
so your saying all the image samples are all from the GS400 or which samples are for HC1000 - it seems as if the ones marked HC1000 had a slightly better contrast ratio as well as more subtle lighting, esp. the indoor #2

thanks for the images
-dr
Dino Reyes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 14th, 2004, 02:59 PM   #35
Major Player

Dino,
The album contains both GS400 and HC1000 videos. As best I can tell, the GS400 videos are not captioned as GS400. The HC1000 videos are all captioned as HC1000.
Old July 17th, 2004, 01:16 AM   #36
Major Player

I wonder if anybody would be interested to see sample videos of the new Opturas taken on similar scenes as that of the GS400...same model walking by, Tokyo tower..

..and where can I upload them of course.
Allan Rejoso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 17th, 2004, 11:32 AM   #37
Regular Crew

Allan, I for one would really like to see the comparison, hope you can find the space. Which Optura did you use and what was your conclusion?
Rokta Bija is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 17th, 2004, 01:28 PM   #38
Major Player

Allan,
Just put them in the GS400 vs HC1000 album. I'll change the name again. :-)
Old July 17th, 2004, 05:34 PM   #39
Regular Crew

Allan, did you get a chance to use the LCD light mode on the GS400? It's the one where you can point the LCD at the subject and it glows bright white.

Can't imagine it would have much range, but curious to hear how it works. Picture of it here:

http://panasonic.jp/dvc/gs400k/colorful.html
Rokta Bija is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 17th, 2004, 06:11 PM   #40
Regular Crew

<<<-- Originally posted by Guy Bruner : Allan,
Just put them in the GS400 vs HC1000 album. I'll change the name again. :-) -->>>
Hi Guy,

I just checked the video clip. Very good quality. However it seems that there are more noise in low light condition for HC1000 sample. Any GS400K sample at night?
Old July 17th, 2004, 06:12 PM   #41
Wrangler

Quote:
imagine it would have much range, but curious to hear how it works. Picture of it here:
Neat idea but not very useful on the GS100 but I'm curious to know if its improved with the GS400 since it has the Power LCD.
Tommy Haupfear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 17th, 2004, 06:17 PM   #42
Regular Crew

<<<-- Originally posted by Rokta Bija : Allan, how does the HC1000 raw image look compared to the GS400, in 4:3, 16:9, sharpness, color, etc.? -->>>

Yes, I am also interested about comparison of still images of GS400K vs HC1000.

Allan, do you think you can get some and upload to Guy's site to share?

Thanks!
Old July 17th, 2004, 06:24 PM   #43
Major Player

what is a "power lcd" again?
Tavis Shaver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 17th, 2004, 07:17 PM   #44
Wrangler

Tavis, its a feature that doubles the brightness of the side LCD. It of course drains more power in this mode and is off by default when under battery power. If you have the GS400 running on AC adapter then Power LCD is on by default. Kinda reminds me of a laptop that dims when you unplug it from its AC adapter and run strictly on battery.
Tommy Haupfear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 17th, 2004, 09:07 PM   #45
Major Player

I think I've exceeded the limit of Guy's site. I was able to upload video samples of the Optura40 but I can't do the same for the samples taken using the Optura300 replacement.
Allan Rejoso is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Panasonic P2HD / AVCCAM / AVCHD / DV Camera Systems > Panasonic DVX / DVC Assistant > Panasonic DV / MX / GS series Assistant