New Panasonic GS400K - Page 4 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Panasonic P2HD / AVCCAM / AVCHD / DV Camera Systems > Panasonic DVX / DVC Assistant > Panasonic DV / MX / GS series Assistant

Panasonic DV / MX / GS series Assistant
...and other Panasonic DV camcorders.

Old July 18th, 2004, 06:41 AM   #46
Major Player

Allan,
There are 77 MB left. As long as the clips aren't over that, you should be able to put them in the album. I'm going to make some sub-albums to organize the clips.
Guy Bruner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 18th, 2004, 07:20 AM   #47
Regular Crew

<<<-- Originally posted by Allan Rejoso : I think I've exceeded the limit of Guy's site. I was able to upload video samples of the Optura40 but I can't do the same for the samples taken using the Optura300 replacement. -->>>
Hi Allan,

I checked your sample of Sony HC1000, Canon Optura 40 and Panasonic GS400K. In low light condition, it seems GS400K is the best, then Optura40 and then HC1000.
Old July 18th, 2004, 08:21 AM   #48
Major Player

Ok, I've organized the videos into their own individual albums. Allan, I named the Optura 30 clips as best I could from their appearance. I also deleted quite a few blanks and very short clips that looked to be the same as the full clips. I hope I didn't delete something you intended to put into the album. Thanks for all the work.
Old July 18th, 2004, 01:38 PM   #49
Regular Crew

advice pal or ntsc version

i'm looking to pic up one of these gs400 cameras to do some projects. i'm debating if there would be any advantage to getting the pal version vs. waiting for the ntsc version when it comes out in usa... i already have a nice ntsc dv camera though pretty large, but now i'm looking for portablilty more than anything... would love any advice...

thanks,
dino
Dino Reyes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 18th, 2004, 02:11 PM   #50
Major Player

The NTSC version will be out in a month. I'd wait and avoid all the PAL to NTSC hassles, not to mention not being able to use the analog to DV passthrough on the cam.
Old July 18th, 2004, 04:50 PM   #51
Major Player

Okay, A couple of people have mentioned this camera and I've got a question...

why would you pack a lot of features and quality electronics in a camera and then give it the same body as some piece of crap 200.00 video camera that they sell at Wal Mart??? Huh??

It looks like crap. If I pulled that out at a shoot where I am charging a client 200.00 an hour they would laugh at me. I don't care how many brochures I could show them as to how good it is or how much it cost--- it looks like my sister-in-law's handi-cam that she bought at some discount department store for the kid's birthday parties.

geez... I just don't get it.
Kevin Burnfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 18th, 2004, 04:53 PM   #52
Major Player

Kevin,
Why don't you tell us what you REALLY feel?
Old July 18th, 2004, 05:59 PM   #53
Major Player

LOL! naw, I wouldn't want to embarass anyone with an outburst of emotion. ;)

The specs all sound good but you have to admit the body leaves a LOT to be desired if you considered it for any kind of "semi-professional" use. No?
Kevin Burnfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 18th, 2004, 06:11 PM   #54
Wrangler

Kevin, the same could be said of pulling out a XL1s for an even higher paying client but I think you're missing the point of these bang-for-the-buck cams.

The compact Panasonic 3CCD cams are not intended for impressing clients but for the price of an upper-end single chipper the GS400 delivers 3CCD color accuracy, optical image stabilization, high quality widescreen, frame mode, and even cine-like gamma. Now you may not like the build quality or looks but I like to think of these cams as being akin to the Subaru WRX. They may not be the most stylish or decked out cars but they deliver punch and plenty of it.

You could get three GS400s for the price of the upcoming XL2 and still have a good bit of money left over. Its not fair to expect performance and build quality to be anything close to the XL2, or any 1/3" 3CCD for that matter.

Thats apples and oranges.

ps - I'm thinking of getting a GS400 but I'm also considering a 1/3" 3CCD for client work. I like to think of it as not mixing business with pleasure. :)
Tommy Haupfear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 18th, 2004, 06:32 PM   #55
Major Player

Kevin,
No one ever positioned this cam as a Cinealta, DVX100, or XL2. However, I suspect it has as good a picture as any miniDV cam in its price range. If appearances are more important than the quality of the video, then by all means buy something else. Something heavy that sits on your shoulder or has a 10 lb lens that requires an augmented tripod to hold up. After all, it looks good to the clients. ;-)

Seriously, small cams can produce excellent video even if they don't look professional.
Old July 18th, 2004, 06:50 PM   #56
Major Player

Everybody should take a look at the gs100 (black) at supervideo's site in its super mamba mode. Looks fairly impressive. I have a silver gs100 and with the WA, WA hood, and mike attached, people look at it and say, "Wow, that's some set up" - which it isn't, or I wouldn't be able to manage it handheld. So much for the way it looks issue. In reality, though, since the gs400 is not being pitched to the pro market, I'd really like to see it even smaller, but with improved low light performance. Maybe once SD cards are cheap enough and of large enough capacity, that will happen.
Patricia Kim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 18th, 2004, 09:47 PM   #57
Regular Crew

<<<-- Originally posted by Patricia Kim : Everybody should take a look at the gs100 (black) at supervideo's site in its super mamba mode. Looks fairly impressive. I have a silver gs100 and with the WA, WA hood, and mike attached, people look at it and say, "Wow, that's some set up" - which it isn't, or I wouldn't be able to manage it handheld. So much for the way it looks issue. In reality, though, since the gs400 is not being pitched to the pro market, I'd really like to see it even smaller, but with improved low light performance. Maybe once SD cards are cheap enough and of large enough capacity, that will happen. -->>>

It may be interesting to compare the video quality of GS100K and GS400K. Not mentioned about other features, the CCD size is changed from 1/6" to 1/4.7". Any significant difference due to CCD changes?

Maybe more video clips of GS100K can be kept in Guy's site for others reference. Up to now there are GS400K, HC1000 and Optura 40.
Old July 19th, 2004, 10:25 AM   #58
Major Player

Thanks again Guy. Just one clarification. The samples you put under HC30 folder, those were actually taken using the replacement to the Optura300 which is called IXY DVM3 in Japan. Since I have no idea what the equivalent US model is, I just named it Optura301 temporarily. I didn't write any explanation on that because I thought the upload didn't get through as my PC did not give any indication at all. But it's now clear that some of the samples were actually uploaded. I'd re-send the few samples that are missing tomorrow night. Goodnight for now.
Allan Rejoso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 19th, 2004, 10:31 AM   #59
Major Player

Allan,
I am going to create a separate album for the Optura 30 samples. Upload those to that one. BTW, you can zip up several videos into one file and upload the .ZIP file. The server will automatically unpack the archive.
Old July 19th, 2004, 12:40 PM   #60
Major Player

It would be really sad to make a crappy video w/ a $20,000 cam. :)
Young Lee is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Panasonic P2HD / AVCCAM / AVCHD / DV Camera Systems > Panasonic DVX / DVC Assistant > Panasonic DV / MX / GS series Assistant