Another month for my DVC30.. NOT HAPPY PANASONIC at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Panasonic P2HD / AVCCAM / AVCHD / DV Camera Systems > Panasonic DVX / DVC Assistant > Panasonic DV / MX / GS series Assistant
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Panasonic DV / MX / GS series Assistant
...and other Panasonic DV camcorders.

Old August 20th, 2004, 11:14 PM   #1
Inner Circle

Another month for my DVC30.. NOT HAPPY PANASONIC

GRRRRRRR

i been waiting 8 weeks for the bugger and its still not in.. now im told i have to wait till the 22nd of september.. mind u i have a shoot on the 12th which is where i wanted to use this.. :(

Im SOOOOOOOOOOOO not happy..

padre pulls out his steelcapped boots...

Time for an ol fashioned asskickin methinks!!!
Peter Jefferson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 21st, 2004, 01:09 AM   #2
Outer Circle

Did you pre-pay for it?
Frank Granovski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 21st, 2004, 05:17 AM   #3
Inner Circle

no, but i know work for my video supplier so i get first dibs on everything :) get to play with the XL2 next week muhahhaha hmm....

no not prepaid. but i shoulda had it last week.. :(
Old August 22nd, 2004, 12:11 AM   #4
Outer Circle

I looked at one today and compared it with that new Sony 3-chip. One shop here has 4 GS400's in stock.
Old August 22nd, 2004, 01:21 AM   #5
Inner Circle

which new sony would that be frank??
Old August 22nd, 2004, 02:12 AM   #6
Outer Circle

I can't recall the model off hand, something like the HCV1000 maybe? It's on Vincent's site. It's about the same size as the GS400 but with a fat right size. The front lens element looks to be the same size as the GS400's. I didn't realize that the GS400 had 2 record/pause buttons: one on the back and one on the top right of the lens housing. It took me a dig in the manual to double check. The GS400 is also a lot lighter feeling, or puffy, than the Sony and the PV-DV953/MX5.
Old August 22nd, 2004, 08:28 AM   #7
Wrangler

This is the first I've heard of a backordered DVC30. Most retailers have them in stock. <<<Nevermind>>> I see that you're in Australia. :)

Peter, what features (or performance) made you choose the DVC30 over the GS400? Don't you also have a DVX100?
Tommy Haupfear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 23rd, 2004, 09:51 AM   #8
Inner Circle

teh fact that i have a DVX mainly.. colour mathcing will be a non issue, the lowl light performance and adjustable slow shutters also help..

then theres the whole scene file situation and film looks within the GS, and the customisable scenes whereby u can have any individual element selected and adjsuted (jsut like the dvx) without affecting anything else..

then theres the wide angles lense with a 16x zoom, the actual LOOK of the camera and finally (and most importantly to me) is teh fact that i can run my existing batteries off it.. (i have numerous blet clip and high cap DVX and MX500 batteries.. )

oh and the viewfinder, and top handle also help, as my wife will be working with this mainly..
Old August 23rd, 2004, 10:49 AM   #9
New Boot

good choice pete I am very satisfied with my dvc-30 I chose it over the 400 for the reasons you listed plus the optical range and night vsion rock on dude
Joe Amato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 25th, 2004, 09:36 PM   #10
Regular Crew

DVC30/GS400 pros and cons

Hiya all,

Im new to this forum , and generally speaking - new to video as well. And im poised to make a leap of faith - get a new cam. Have PV-DV953 now, nice peace of equipment but low lite on it is nonexistanat, which is a pity. My choice of new cams is either DVC30 or GS400, price isnt a factor - fear is :). Im a consumer and although it seems like DVC30 is sumwhat better cam im wondreing if it'll be too much of a cam for me - form factor/weight/features. Bascally i can easily see myself shooting with GS, similar to 953 plus a few new goodies - sweet, and besides theres much more info on GS, while info on DVC30 is scarse.

So i have a few questions for the proud owners of AG-DVC30's, especially for those who previously had or still have 953's:

1. Saturation - camcorderinfo revew indicates that colors on DVC arent as saturated compared to GS400. Can you achive GS satration level manually adjusting DVC?

2. Cinegamma - can you use MovieLike setting in 60i/4:3?
In your opinion which cam has better cinegamma - DVC or GS?

3. Frame mode - after reading all the posts here and everywere else im still confused - is it true 30fps on DVC, or double frames recorded in 60fs, just like on 953/GS400?
Which of the two cams has smoother frame mode?

4. Is it true that DVC 's lenses r wider and therefore it would have more horizonal coverage than GS (in the context of DVC30's wider lenses vs GS400's HQ WS)?

5. I read in the DVC30's PAL manual that it 's got 2 image stabilization modes - the 'reglar' mode and on top of that additional hand shake sabilization mode? Do NTSC models have the same '2 lines of defense' and how much does this 'duo IS' acually improve stabilization?

Thank you all very much
Mike Sakovski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 26th, 2004, 07:59 AM   #11
Wrangler

Welcome Mike. I'll let DVC30 owners chime in on your questions but I had one of my own. You mentioned that low light is unacceptable on your DV953. That tells me that the DVC30 would definitely be appreciated over the GS400? The only area that kills me on the idea of a DVC30 is the relatively low resolution 16:9 mode coupled with frame mode.

The thread below might be of some help and it also has a current DVC30 owner that also had a DV953.

Click here
Tommy Haupfear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 27th, 2004, 03:12 PM   #12
Regular Crew

Tommy, thank you for your warm welcome.
I was wandering about the inet today, googling DVC30 and ran into this interesting japanese site that among other things compares PDX10 vs DVC30. From looking at the sample frames it 's easy to see that even in 16:9 aspect DVC30 covers more horizontal ground than the '16:9 king' PDX. On the other hand thou, the PDX's wide screen is noticebly sharper than 30's squeeze mode.
Old August 27th, 2004, 03:15 PM   #13
Regular Crew

PDX10 vs DVC30

oopsa, sorry, forgot to give you the link to the site i was referring to.
Its in japanese but pretty much selfexplanatory

http://www.geocities.jp/sumi653/DVC30.6.vs.html
Old August 27th, 2004, 04:44 PM   #14
Trustee

<<<-- Originally posted by Mike Sakovski : Tommy, thank you for your warm welcome.
I was wandering about the inet today, googling DVC30 and ran into this interesting japanese site that among other things compares PDX10 vs DVC30. From looking at the sample frames it 's easy to see that even in 16:9 aspect DVC30 covers more horizontal ground than the '16:9 king' PDX. On the other hand thou, the PDX's wide screen is noticebly sharper than 30's squeeze mode. -->>>

Isn't that due to the zoom going wider on the DVC30? Looks like it.

Carlos
Carlos E. Martinez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 27th, 2004, 05:05 PM   #15
Wrangler

Quote:
Isn't that due to the zoom going wider on the DVC30? Looks like it.
I'd have to say so.
Tommy Haupfear is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Panasonic P2HD / AVCCAM / AVCHD / DV Camera Systems > Panasonic DVX / DVC Assistant > Panasonic DV / MX / GS series Assistant