LED Video Light at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Panasonic P2HD / AVCCAM / AVCHD / DV Camera Systems > Panasonic DVX / DVC Assistant > Panasonic DV / MX / GS series Assistant

Panasonic DV / MX / GS series Assistant
...and other Panasonic DV camcorders.

Old October 23rd, 2004, 02:01 PM   #1
New Boot

LED Video Light

Kaiser has introduced a new camcorder video light using state-of-the-art LED technology for the first time. Eliminating the halogen lamp yields some important advantages and completely new application aspects.
LED modules are becoming an equally “normal” light source as are the usual ones of any kind. Everybody knows them in use as colored indicator lamps. “White” LEDs, showing a spectral distribution similar to bright daylight, have been available only recently. However, this makes it possible to utilize them in lighting technology and also for special applications.
Whereas the prototype shown at photokina had 19 LEDs the final version of the "digiNova" now introduced into the market gives the same results with only one high-performance LED. As LEDs are extremely frugal with respect to their energy demand, the power supply can easily be housed in the compact light.
The outstanding advantage for camcorder users with digital or analogue equipment is the fact, that they now have continuous light supply for almost two hours, before the small light needs a “refill” of a set of four fresh rechargeable or regular AAA-size batteries. Lamp problems are a thing of the past, as today’s specification for the service life of LEDs is at 100.000 hours, which is more than 10 years of continuous operation.
Compared with halogen lamps, heat problems are eliminated. LEDs are also completely shock- and vibration-proof, which is important when using camcorder equipment outdoors. In addition there is no UV radiation.
Kaiser’s new video light fits in every accessory shoe or attaches with the help of a light bracket.

I have just ordered the Kaiser DigiNova LED Video Light 3282
from www.technikdirekt.de for EUR 88 + EUR 20 for delivery.

Will get back later with results
Nihal Jayasinghe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 23rd, 2004, 07:15 PM   #2
Wrangler

Wow, one Super LED does what 19 LEDs did in the prototype. Definitely let us know how this works out with your GS400 and perhaps share a frame or two!

Here is a link to a photo of the light for others interested.

I wonder if this will be sold in N.A.?
Tommy Haupfear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 25th, 2004, 04:23 AM   #3
New Boot

LED Video Light

Kaiser digiNova LED Video Light 3282 is now available
in USA and Canada.

USA www.amazon.com

Henry's Camera
119 Church Street
Toronto, ONTARIO M5C 2G5
Canada
Nihal Jayasinghe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 5th, 2004, 06:16 PM   #4
Major Player

After reading this thread I ordered the digiNova; it arrived yesterday. I haven't used it at an event yet, but it is an EXCELLENT and simple alternative to the rather cumbersome on-camera lighting I had been using. The only modification I've done is wrap a little fabric around the light to diminish the glare, since it's extremely bright. But as a quick, painless way of zapping away the darkness with a minimum of weight and bother it's a wonderful option.
Barry Rivadue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 5th, 2004, 06:24 PM   #5
Trustee

<<<-- Originally posted by Barry Rivadue : After reading this thread I ordered the digiNova; it arrived yesterday. I haven't used it at an event yet, but it is an EXCELLENT and simple alternative to the rather cumbersome on-camera lighting I had been using. The only modification I've done is wrap a little fabric around the light to diminish the glare, since it's extremely bright. But as a quick, painless way of zapping away the darkness with a minimum of weight and bother it's a wonderful option. -->>>

How much is the digiNova?
Leigh Wanstead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 6th, 2004, 08:06 AM   #6
Major Player

I paid around $153, plus shipping. Way cheaper than light panels etc.
Barry Rivadue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 8th, 2004, 11:23 AM   #7
Trustee

<<<-- Originally posted by Barry Rivadue : I paid around $153, plus shipping. Way cheaper than light panels etc. -->>>

Thanks

Regards
Leigh
Leigh Wanstead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 23rd, 2004, 12:30 PM   #8
Tourist

Anybody going to post some sort of review on the LED Video light?

I believe is power is 8 watts from some site I visited.

Just wondered if it's worth $CAN180.
Paul Stephen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 10th, 2004, 02:38 PM   #9
Major Player

Re: LED Video Light

<<<-- Originally posted by Nihal Jayasinghe : Kaiser digiNova LED Video Light 3282 is now available
in USA and Canada.

USA www.amazon.com
-->>>

Not in the US. When I go to Amazon it says the DigiNova is not yet available: http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/B0002VCSKC/ref=wl_it_dp/104-8643494-1330342?%5Fencoding=UTF8&coliid=I230ENWDD09AX5&v=glance&colid=2W65O98YBKWJ0.

Good luck.

Dennis
Dennis Vogel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 17th, 2005, 03:41 PM   #10
Regular Crew

I made my own!

So, I needed a light to shoot a friend's nighttime event. Every year he burns a bunch of christmas trees on the beach. I wanted to be able to "interview" people and needed an on camera light. I had a 1 watt Luxeon star (with a micro puck dc-dc converter), and a 2 AA battery holder and bought a $2 flashlight for the reflector and basically made the light. 2AA duracell ultra batteries lasted about 30 minutes. The star and micro puck can be bought for around 20-25 dollars. I am going to post some pics and a little footage, hopefully tonight in the "photon management" forum!

Mark
Mark Burlingame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 13th, 2005, 02:20 PM   #11
Regular Crew

Has anyone bought and used this light enough to give an in-the-field report of its ability? Is 8W really enough to make a difference? In what lighting situations have you used the diginova? I'm very skeptical about the light's usefulness.

Has anyone found a US distributor with the units in stock?

Thanks,
Joseph
Joseph Lawrence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 26th, 2005, 06:39 PM   #12
Inner Circle

I haven't bought the light, but other LED video lights list an 8W draw with 23W illumination. LEDs are supposed to be 10x more efficient than incandescent, but I hope this transformation occurs before ten years.
Gints Klimanis is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Panasonic P2HD / AVCCAM / AVCHD / DV Camera Systems > Panasonic DVX / DVC Assistant > Panasonic DV / MX / GS series Assistant