What is the ideal shooting distance for gs400? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Panasonic P2HD / AVCCAM / AVCHD / DV Camera Systems > Panasonic DVX / DVC Assistant > Panasonic DV / MX / GS series Assistant
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Panasonic DV / MX / GS series Assistant
...and other Panasonic DV camcorders.

Old November 10th, 2004, 08:58 PM   #1
Trustee

What is the ideal shooting distance for gs400?

Hello everyone,

I can change optical zoom or move the distance between the camera and the shooting subject to get same size of the subject on the photo. May I ask what is the ideal distance to shoot? Should I use optical zoom 12x or no zoom at all just move closer to the subject.

TIA
Leigh
Leigh Wanstead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 10th, 2004, 11:44 PM   #2
Major Player

Leigh,
There is nothing inherently wrong with either approach.

Decide on the option that gives you the effect you desire as you will get a different look from each eg:

Head shots can look strange if taken close with a wide angle setting.

Telephoto shots to compress space ie a traffic jam shot with telephoto makes cars look more tightly compacted.

Focus is more critical at the telephoto end of the range.

Telephoto is harder to keep steady with hand held (even with the stabiliser on), you really need a tripod, or at least be braced against something.

Also in low light the wide angle range can give you a better image (light wise).
and the list goes on...

Needless to say you want to stay away from digital zoom.

What's your subject?
Kyle Ringin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 11th, 2004, 02:36 AM   #3
Trustee

Hi Kyle,

Thanks for the answer.

At the moment, the subject is just some rose in my garden.
8 )

Regards
Leigh
Leigh Wanstead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 11th, 2004, 04:54 AM   #4
Major Player

<<<-- Originally posted by Kyle Ringin : Leigh,

Also in low light the wide angle range can give you a better image (light wise)...

Recently, I made some simple experimentation on the effect of attaching a wideangle lens to the light sensitivity of the cam. I used a GS400 in combination with the Panasonic 4307, mounted on a tripod. I tried as many varied light settings as I could do in the living room and what I found out is that by attaching the 4307, I consistently lost 2 f-stops. I verified this by switching to manual - after the AF has stabilized - to check the cam's (auto) iris setting. This appears to be consistent with Panasonic's statement that lens converters should be used under good lighting condition...or perhaps it applies specifically to their own product.

Leigh, as far as I know, the Pany lens is rated f1.6 (wide) to f2.8 (tele).@ So there is merit to shoot as close as you can. I think only Canon is able to make those killer lenses (f1.6-f1.8 or f1.9 for the entire range) for consumer cams.
Allan Rejoso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 11th, 2004, 11:41 AM   #5
Trustee

<<<-- Originally posted by Allan Rejoso : <<<-- Originally posted by Kyle Ringin :
Leigh, as far as I know, the Pany lens is rated f1.6 (wide) to f2.8 (tele).@ So there is merit to shoot as close as you can. I think only Canon is able to make those killer lenses (f1.6-f1.8 or f1.9 for the entire range) for consumer cams. -->>>

Hi Allan,

I don't know about f1.6 (wide) to f2.8 (tele). I think that information is really good.

Thanks

Regards
Leigh
Leigh Wanstead is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Panasonic P2HD / AVCCAM / AVCHD / DV Camera Systems > Panasonic DVX / DVC Assistant > Panasonic DV / MX / GS series Assistant