There seems to be a new rumor at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Panasonic P2HD / AVCCAM / AVCHD / DV Camera Systems > Panasonic DVX / DVC Assistant > Panasonic DV / MX / GS series Assistant

Panasonic DV / MX / GS series Assistant
...and other Panasonic DV camcorders.

Old October 26th, 2002, 03:43 AM   #1
Outer Circle

There seems to be a new rumor

There seems to be a new rumor that's just started regarding a USA model for the MX5000---the PV-DV953. Personally, I don't know if this new 953 will be the MX5000. If it is, well, that's good news. Let's just hope it's not going to be stripped down. Keep in mind that in PALsville, the MX300 was replaced with the MX350, and the MX500 is the replacement for the MX350---not the MX300. The source of the rumor is from Robin Liss of www.camcorderinfo.com---Let's hope she is right, this way we won't be left out here in North America, as we have been with both the MX300/0 and MX350/0.
Frank Granovski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 4th, 2002, 04:51 PM   #2
Outer Circle

I just got a response from Pana Pro USA regarding if the new PV-DV953 will be the MX5000. The answer was, "NO." However, this official response does not mean that the won't. 75% of the official responses I've recieved from Pana Pro USA over the years have been erroneous. And personally, I can't understand why Pana USA does this. So, we'll just have to wait and see if Robin's correct.
Old December 6th, 2002, 05:52 AM   #3
Outer Circle

I went to camcorderinfo, and couldn't find this article anymore. Maybe it was yanked.
Old December 8th, 2002, 02:17 AM   #4
Regular Crew

Here it is.

http://www.camcorderinfo.com/content...s_10_22_02.htm
Mark Nicholson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 23rd, 2002, 06:50 AM   #5
Outer Circle

Thanks, Plasma! I see it's still there. Now I just have wait and see if the cam materializes in the N.A. market. Might be a long wait. I'm still waiting for the N.A. model of the MX3000!
Old January 9th, 2003, 04:13 AM   #6
Outer Circle

Looks like Pana USA lied to me, and so now I have to eat my words. I guess next time I'll have to listen to the great robin.
Old January 9th, 2003, 12:45 PM   #7
Inner Circle

Frank, based on specs it certainly looks like the 953 is the NA version of the MX5000. it would be very nice if we got the same quality stuff they get in Japan. At that price I can get both an NTSC and order the PAL version from the UK and still spend only around 3K. veruh veruh kool.

I will need a PAL version. I've contacted some independent film makers in Wales and we are talking up a project.
Joe Carney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 9th, 2003, 04:55 PM   #8
Major Player

Yeah, but WHEN?
Allan Rejoso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 9th, 2003, 05:17 PM   #9
Outer Circle

When? You mean when is the PV-DV953 coming out? Probably in 3 to 4 months. But I haven't seen the specs yet. It might be stripped down version of the MX5000. That's what Pana USA usually does.

PS: hi, Allan!
Old January 9th, 2003, 05:23 PM   #10
Outer Circle

Joe, if you need the PAL version go with Allan or Tim, or buy from Australia:

http://www.cameraaction.com.au

Camera Action is where I bought from. The Jap. PAL version might be cheaper though. Allan, is the Jap. PAL version in English? I think it should be, since the Pana PAL models here are---and they come with a 1 year international warranty.
Old January 9th, 2003, 07:38 PM   #11
Major Player

<<<-- Originally posted by Frank Granovski : When? You mean when is the PV-DV953 coming out? Probably in 3 to 4 months. But I haven't seen the specs yet. It might be stripped down version of the MX5000. That's what Pana USA usually does.-->>>

You can strip down 1/6" CCD further? In my opinion, to bring the cost down the 500 is pretty badly striped down already. Maybe resolution can be down a little from PAL to NTSC, but what else to strip?

I sure hope you guys are N.A. can get what the rest of the world is getting (and that's not even good enough when it comes to the MX500).
Yow Cheong Hoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 10th, 2003, 03:44 AM   #12
Big Cochino

Seems like more than a few others feel the same way about the 1/6" CCDs in the MX500(0). Chuckmeister posted letters from users saying that MX3000 looked better. Perhaps in some situations, the 1/4" CCDs with only 460K pixels on each, will out perform 1/6" CCDs with 800K each. The Sony VX2000 only has 380K per CCD, but they are 1/3" in size, and it still creates one of the best images among the mini-DV camcorders. I love my MX3000. It's not the sharpest image available on the market, but the color saturation is by FAR still the best of any camera I've owned. No matter how I adjusted the color correction & filters in the NLE software, when I burned the video to DVD, Canon & Sony footage appears "washed out", lacking color, sort of Gray-Green, but the footage from the little MX3000 holds the color. I can't explain it, but the DVDs just look more vibrant & vivid.

Check out the first letter under User Feedback:
http://www.supervideo.com/MXfeedback.htm
Old January 10th, 2003, 04:31 AM   #13
Outer Circle

Oh..., that's you who wrote that letter. I actually went there 2 days ago and read it, and just re-read again now. Really? The MX3000 footage is better? (I'd better keep my MX300.)
Old January 10th, 2003, 11:02 AM   #14
Inner Circle

Frank, the best price I found on the PAL version is from http://www.nomatica.com - little over 1600 US delivered. They are UK based. They beat every price I've found from the Aus dealers. Sorry. Shipping to England for service isn't much different than shipping to Illinois for US based Pana consumer cams. I would still order the additional batteries, and lenses from Allan.

Turns out the Welsh guys don't like my idea, so I may start working with an Irish outfit. I've never been to Ireland. From what I've seen on line, they have a vibrant independent movie community.
Joe Carney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 10th, 2003, 11:20 AM   #15
Inner Circle

I read those letters too. The guy who complained the loudest wrote back and said it was operator error. And yes shrinking down to 1/6 is to be expected. they get more chips per wafer that way and save money. I think the 1/6 vs 1/4 thing might be overated except for the low light situation.

Still I'm beginning to have second thoughts about this pana. Too much controversy. Even at 1500 US, if the camera sucks, thats 1500 too much. I'll bet it will be at Brands Mart shortly after relaes. Maybe I can look at it then.

getting worried about this.

That JVC dy300 is looking better and better all the time.
Joe Carney is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Panasonic P2HD / AVCCAM / AVCHD / DV Camera Systems > Panasonic DVX / DVC Assistant > Panasonic DV / MX / GS series Assistant