Worth to buy Zoom mic for MX300 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Panasonic P2HD / AVCCAM / AVCHD / DV Camera Systems > Panasonic DVX / DVC Assistant > Panasonic DV / MX / GS series Assistant

Panasonic DV / MX / GS series Assistant
...and other Panasonic DV camcorders.

Old January 6th, 2003, 06:41 AM   #1
New Boot

Worth to buy Zoom mic for MX300

What do u think if it is worth to buy a zoom mic for MX300?
The price in HK is about $1300 (US$170)
Editing SW: Adobe Premiere, Hollywood FX
Adams Sin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 6th, 2003, 01:13 PM   #2
Outer Circle

I looked long and hard into mics for the MX300. First off, the built in mic is very good as far as built in mics go. The Panasonic zoom mic will improve the audio to some degree, from what I'm told by Terrence, Panasonic's Tech Dept., and from my research. I think it's is only worth it if you need somewhat of an improvement. So, yes, I think it's is worth it. The best solution would be going with an adaptor like a Beachtek, coupled with a Senn ME66/K6. However, the MX300 is a bottom loader, so you would have to unscrew the adaptor each time you want to open the miniDV cassette compartment---the other solution is to set up (mount) everything on a tripod. The degree of sound improvement should be based on how good of a sound you need or want.

Panasonic has 2 mics for the MX300. I'd go for the directional mic---a little more money than the other one.
Frank Granovski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 7th, 2003, 07:20 AM   #3
New Boot

Thanks to Frank for your suggestion.

Before I asked this question, I am not sure how much sound quality can be improved by Panasonic zoom mic (more expensive one). Especially when I videocam some scene I need to have zoom in a person and specially record his speech or sound. So if the quality is not greatly improved, I think it is not worth to pay US$170 to buy the mic.
Editing SW: Adobe Premiere, Hollywood FX
Adams Sin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 7th, 2003, 02:25 PM   #4
Outer Circle

Yes, Panasonic gave me the numbers a while back. Basically the tech person said it somewhat improves the sound. I think going with the Pana directional mic is worth it though, but it won't be broadcast quality, say if you're doing a doc. The better solution would be going with a better mic like the Senn ME66 and an XLR adaptor like the Beachtek or Glenbox....

I think for weddings, though, the Pana directional mic would be just fine, but then so is just going with the built-in mic.

I used to use a cheap external mic for my DVL9500s, then it broke. Later I bought another one, and that broke too. These mics did improve the sound but not by much. And my hearing is very good for my age.

I still think going with Pana's more expensive mic is worth it---depending on what you do with your cam.
Old January 11th, 2003, 02:43 AM   #5
Regular Crew

I have a MX300 and yesterday I bought a cable (XLR to 3.5mm minijack) and connected my Senn ME66/K6 straight into the camera. It is higher levels compared with the onboard pana mic. So i just adjust the level down in manual mode. Seems to work though. I thought I would need a pre-amp like i do when i use the Senn ME66/K6 on my XL1s. comments?
Andrew Hogan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 11th, 2003, 05:29 AM   #6
Outer Circle

I think it should work just the same as with an XLR adaptor, except that with the adaptor (like a Beachtek), you can adjust most of the stuff easier (on the Beachtek). But then I'm no sound expert---far from it.
Old January 12th, 2003, 01:54 AM   #7
Regular Crew

yes I imagine it would be a lot easierand better as you could use 2 XLR mics at the same time AND adjust the levels independently AND adjust levels "on the fly" (which you can't seem to do whilst recording as you can't access the cameras menus while recording. Hmm sound like i need a beachtek
Andrew Hogan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 12th, 2003, 09:25 PM   #8
Regular Crew

Hi, Morbid666.

I read somewhere that the Senheiser (spelling?) mike, if I remember correctly the ME66, would do very well capturing the audio of an interview done in a noisy disco. The interviewee came out nice & clear & distinct amidst the background noise. It was done with the camera nearby, of course.

Is that right? Have you experienced such "miracles"?

Thanks in advance.
Steven Khong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 13th, 2003, 05:17 AM   #9
Regular Crew

No I haven't used the Sen at a live gig. As the Senheiser mic is a direction shotgun mike then I guess if you had it pointed the right way and close to your subject then thats probably how they got clear audio in the interview.

I have used the MX300 standard mic in manual mode at -30DB (I think is on the lowest setting) and I also use my XL1s with its canon mike, and also plugged from the mixing desk directly into the XL1s too. Never managed yet to get great results yet (still trying different ways) but the shows I record are "Metal" and usually very loud.

\m/
Andrew Hogan is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Panasonic P2HD / AVCCAM / AVCHD / DV Camera Systems > Panasonic DVX / DVC Assistant > Panasonic DV / MX / GS series Assistant