Newbie: GS250 or a $400 GS120? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Panasonic P2HD / AVCCAM / AVCHD / DV Camera Systems > Panasonic DVX / DVC Assistant > Panasonic DV / MX / GS series Assistant

Panasonic DV / MX / GS series Assistant
...and other Panasonic DV camcorders.

Old June 20th, 2005, 04:38 PM   #1
New Boot

Newbie: GS250 or a $400 GS120?

Hello everyone. This site is fantastic and I've learned a ton from surfing around. I'm purchasing my first digital camcorder with the hopes of producing some quality video for under $1000.

Things I'll be doing will be documentary-type films mostly involving running sports, short movies, and playing with video & music. I am looking for the best quality playback, truest colors, and the lot, but, with a sticky catch, under $1000.

Bearing those stipulations in mind, I've narrowed my choices down to the following, mostly due to having 3 CCDs. Which would you choose and why?

1) A GS250

2) A GS120 for only(?) $400

3) A different camera altogether for under $1000 (if so, which one & why?)

4) Ahh...forget it. Save up for another year or two and purchase a real monster.

Thanks in advance for all the help. Hopefully you'll be hearing more from me soon.
Chris Ickes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 20th, 2005, 05:02 PM   #2
Trustee

Gs400 ;-) ;-) ;-)
Leigh Wanstead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 20th, 2005, 05:44 PM   #3
Major Player

I agree with Leigh. But, you asked for under $1k so I have to say the GS250 even with the price difference to the GS120. It has optical stabilization, a good widescreen mode (although cropped), and a manual focus ring.
Guy Bruner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 20th, 2005, 06:31 PM   #4
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guy Bruner
I agree with Leigh. But, you asked for under $1k so I have to say the GS250 even with the price difference to the GS120. It has optical stabilization, a good widescreen mode (although cropped), and a manual focus ring.
I paid around US$1,000 including shipping to New Zealand from www.pricejapan.com around last Sep. I can't remember that exact figure. Note: The camea I got is a NTSC version with Japanese menu. I am extremely happy that price stay around the same now. ;-) I am really surprised about that. Usually once I bought something, the price drop significantly and I hate that.

Regards
Leigh
Leigh Wanstead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 21st, 2005, 04:16 AM   #5
Inner Circle

You could maybe search for a second hand GL1 or something, if you could find that.
And IF you want to buy second hand offcourse.
I have the GS200 (don't read alot about it here, is GS200 just the PAL version of GS250?) and I think it's pretty nice for it's money, but I think an GL1 would have a better picture because of the bigger chips.

That's only a suggestion, there are plenty of other possibilities I think.
I do have to agree that the GS400 is a very very nice camera, my nephew has it, and it's worth the price difference with the GS250. Really.
Maybe you should save some longer and buy that one...

Good luck!

EDIT: just saw the GS200 is the old version of the GS250.
Mathieu Ghekiere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 21st, 2005, 06:46 PM   #6
New Boot

Thanks for the help everyone. It looks like I may need to 1) go with the 250 or 2) forget about bills for the month and hit up the 400.

Unfortunately my first project needs to begin shooting ASAP. I want to do a documentary following a high school cross-country team from beginning of the season to end. Since voluntary summer practices are already under way, I want to get going instead of catching them in the middle.

If anyone else has any feedback about the choices, I'd still love to hear it.

I am amazed as to how much info is on this site. It's great!
Chris Ickes is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Panasonic P2HD / AVCCAM / AVCHD / DV Camera Systems > Panasonic DVX / DVC Assistant > Panasonic DV / MX / GS series Assistant