DV852 (mx8) setup for lowlight performance at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Panasonic P2HD / AVCCAM / AVCHD / DV Camera Systems > Panasonic DVX / DVC Assistant > Panasonic DV / MX / GS series Assistant

Panasonic DV / MX / GS series Assistant
...and other Panasonic DV camcorders.

Old July 9th, 2003, 11:17 AM   #1
Major Player

DV852 (mx8) setup for lowlight performance

Don't mean to be a post whore but I was curious if those who have owned or used this great cam could tell me the best way to shoot a very low light outdoors night scene that's taking place outside of a storage space that has two extremely high up lights(what are some settings for shutter speed, fstops etc.). The actors aren't supposed to be overexposed and the look is of mystery and suspense. Also, should I white balance with a white object in the lightest part of the location where the actors will be walking or in a darker area? I will be have access to an ARI spot light and a fill light but placing them may be very difficult since the space is not condusive to light placement. I ran a search and came up with settings for the canon GL's and the XL's but nothing very applicable in the dv852 series. Also, I read some of the most current posts on here but only came up more confused about what to look for and how to setup a nice looking dim set. Again, thanks to all!
Bryan Roberts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 9th, 2003, 12:45 PM   #2
Major Player

Here are some frame captures I did with some low light situations around the APT.

First is a shot of the storage room bathroom with only a single desk lamp used for illumination at op+12 and 1/60 shutter speed with slight side natural light coming from a covered window.

http://www4.ncsu.edu/~berobert/Grainy.bmp

This next is shot in the bedroom of the GF with using the same setting as above, 1/60 shutter and op+12 (I shouldn't use more than +12 setting because it makes the image too grainy doesn't it?) There are only the candles lit.

http://www4.ncsu.edu/~berobert/Candle Test 1.bmp

The final image is of the bedroom but with the "candle low light mode" turned on with AWB in full effect. I couldn't get the manual white balance mode to set itself in this low light setting....

http://www4.ncsu.edu/~berobert/Candle Test 2.bmp

So, I will have more light than this setting but is this a pretty good extreme low light setting in general? 1/60 shutter speed op+12? What is a good way to judge how the lighting will turn out etc? There will obviously be shot reverse shots from different lighting situations (a person behind a crate or something spying on thugs in a car) so if I have one shot more grainy than the reverse shot, this will end up looking unprofessional and silly won't it? Thanks again.....
Bryan Roberts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 9th, 2003, 09:27 PM   #3
Major Player

Sadly, you won't get much out of the internet for settings of the 852 because it is not a pro cam, and the pros will not be discussing about this camera.

As for the white balance, it is subjective. I often balance to slightly blue coloured paper to achieve a warmer (yellowish) shot. But you should try to put your balancing target at the brighter areas, to get the most of the available light.
SW: iMovie, Final Cut Pro, Adobe Premiere, Ulead Video Studio, various little utilities
Yow Cheong Hoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 21st, 2005, 11:39 PM   #4
Regular Crew

Questions about low-light program mode vs iris (gain) vs automatic setting.

I tried to view the test bmps, looks like they're not available now (not suprising 2yrs after they were posted).
What does the low light program actually do? The manual only says that it "preserves the mood of dim light settings". I ususally want to see the image clearly more than preserve its ambiance. If I understand correctly you can add 'dimness' with an editor, but you can't fix an image that lost details due to being underexposed when recorded.
Will setting iris to a + value (say, +6) overexpose at all times or just bring up brightness in dim conditions?

Set in auto mode with no adjustments the 852 did better than I expected - great cam. I suspect there's more with a better understanding of the settings.
Laurence Spiegel is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Panasonic P2HD / AVCCAM / AVCHD / DV Camera Systems > Panasonic DVX / DVC Assistant > Panasonic DV / MX / GS series Assistant