GS400 auto focus at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Panasonic P2HD / AVCCAM / AVCHD / DV Camera Systems > Panasonic DVX / DVC Assistant > Panasonic DV / MX / GS series Assistant

Panasonic DV / MX / GS series Assistant
...and other Panasonic DV camcorders.

Old June 22nd, 2005, 12:27 AM   #1
Trustee

GS400 auto focus

Hello everyone,

The problem is if I in manual mode, everything is manual. If in auto mode, everything is control by GS400.

I want to get GS400 auto focus, but I don't want auto color setting, irs etc. Is it possible in GS400?

TIA
Leigh
Leigh Wanstead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 22nd, 2005, 07:33 AM   #2
Major Player

Try this: Put the cam in manual and set the multi-manual ring to zoom (MZ). Or, you can use AE lock.
Guy Bruner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 22nd, 2005, 04:34 PM   #3
Major Player

Leigh,

When you switch from AUTO to MANUAL, the GS400 does not switch everything to manual. Only the settings you want.

If you switch to manual, you can control the iris and white balance and leave the focus on auto-focus. I do it all the time.

Josh
Joshua Provost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 22nd, 2005, 06:42 PM   #4
Trustee

Thanks Guy Bruner and Joshua Provost.

But that raise another question regarding to manual mode in GS400. Can I set everything in manual mode at same time?

Regards
Leigh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joshua Provost
Leigh,

When you switch from AUTO to MANUAL, the GS400 does not switch everything to manual. Only the settings you want.

If you switch to manual, you can control the iris and white balance and leave the focus on auto-focus. I do it all the time.

Josh
Old June 23rd, 2005, 10:08 AM   #5
Major Player

Yes. Switch to manual mode, toggle exposure...set shutter speed and then set f/stop. Set white balance. Now toggle to manual focus and leave the cam set there. Zoom using the remote, or the zoom slider on top of the cam.

At that point, everything is set manual.
Dennis Wood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 23rd, 2005, 01:53 PM   #6
Trustee

Hi Dennis,

Thanks

Regards
Leigh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dennis Wood
Yes. Switch to manual mode, toggle exposure...set shutter speed and then set f/stop. Set white balance. Now toggle to manual focus and leave the cam set there. Zoom using the remote, or the zoom slider on top of the cam.

At that point, everything is set manual.
Old June 23rd, 2005, 05:44 PM   #7
Trustee

By the way, can anyone please explain to me about AE-Lock? I checked the English manual and can not find detail description about that. I tried that, it seems always focus some subject like auto mode.

TIA

Regards
Leigh
Old June 23rd, 2005, 09:49 PM   #8
Major Player

Sure, AE lock just locks in whatever exposure the cam is currently using. I never use this feature, but it's handy for backlit subjects. Zoom on the backlit subject so they fill the frame, set AE lock, zoom out, subject remains exposed properly....but backlit area will probably be "blown out".
Dennis Wood is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Panasonic P2HD / AVCCAM / AVCHD / DV Camera Systems > Panasonic DVX / DVC Assistant > Panasonic DV / MX / GS series Assistant