Hi there! at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Panasonic P2HD / AVCCAM / AVCHD / DV Camera Systems > Panasonic DVX / DVC Assistant > Panasonic DV / MX / GS series Assistant

Panasonic DV / MX / GS series Assistant
...and other Panasonic DV camcorders.

Old December 10th, 2002, 04:17 PM   #1
El Pollo Loco

Hi there!

Hello,

I just wanted to say hello to everyone on this forum, as i just joined. Right now I'm waiting for my MX500 (on hold with purolator as I'm typing this.) I do have a couple questions so far....

1./ Has anyone had any experience with the Sennheiser MKE300 shotgun mic, or any similar to that?

2./ Are there any options for a fisheye on the MX500 other than getting the Century Optic 58mm and using an adapter?

Thanks in advance....
Old December 10th, 2002, 04:33 PM   #2
Major Player

Congrats to you for getting a new camera!

I have a cheap $5 mic, so no comments on your mic question.

However, for the fisheye, I bought a US$25 'brandless' fisheye (rate x0.42) and I can use it at zoom x2 (at x1, the hood of the fisheye can be seen). I bought this fisheye at some budget photo/camera place. My argument: I don't use the fisheye that often, and when I use, only a passing shot or two. I can live with lower quality lens! This lens is 46mm which I use an adapter to the 43mm on my cameras.

The label printed on the lens says "SteinZeiser Super wide Conversion Lens 0.42X Made in Japan".

However, knowing that the MX500 is not as wide angle (at zoom 1x) as the MX8 or MX350 that I'm using, you may want to consider a better fisheye if you plan to use it often.
SW: iMovie, Final Cut Pro, Adobe Premiere, Ulead Video Studio, various little utilities
Yow Cheong Hoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 10th, 2002, 07:25 PM   #3
Outer Circle

I think Kenko makes a "fisheye" in the 43mm size. One of the members here has one for his MX300. "AngryOfMayfair," I believe.
Frank Granovski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 10th, 2002, 09:09 PM   #4
Outer Circle

Panasonic makes 2 hotshoe mics for their MX line of cams. The directional one costs more and is the better of the 2. The Sennheiser MKE300 may or may not capture better sound. I've read and heard nothing but problems about the MKE300, however.

For really good sound, get yourself a Glenbox, XLR Jr. (signvideo), or a Beachtek, along woth a great mic, such as the Sennheiser ME66. You can perhaps get an extension to raise the mic, or mount it with a tripod.

http://www.glensound.com
http://www.signvideo.com
http://www.beachtek.com
Frank Granovski is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Panasonic P2HD / AVCCAM / AVCHD / DV Camera Systems > Panasonic DVX / DVC Assistant > Panasonic DV / MX / GS series Assistant