gs-120 tapeless recording? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Panasonic P2HD / AVCCAM / AVCHD / DV Camera Systems > Panasonic DVX / DVC Assistant > Panasonic DV / MX / GS series Assistant

Panasonic DV / MX / GS series Assistant
...and other Panasonic DV camcorders.

Old February 19th, 2006, 03:29 PM   #1
Tourist

gs-120 tapeless recording?

Is there any way to record via firewire either without a tape or with some sort of dummy tape?

Les
Les Webb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 19th, 2006, 04:11 PM   #2
Inner Circle

Unless there is something odd about the GS-120, you can connect it to your computer via firewire and record with just about any DV capture software (every DV camcorder I've ever connected via firewire works).
Robert M Wright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 19th, 2006, 06:26 PM   #3
Inner Circle

I have this camera. I just tried recording to one of my editing programs, and, like most other DV cams, it outputs what is currently in viewfinder to the editing capture program. Camera may shut down automatically when tape is not rolling, and you are on battery power. Just happened when I tried it.

Also be sure not to make mistake of trying to record through firewire, while you have camera set to photo mode.
Old February 19th, 2006, 06:32 PM   #4
Inner Circle

What happens if you put the camera in "photo mode?"
Old February 19th, 2006, 06:42 PM   #5
Inner Circle

Oops. I'm wrong about that one-- it still does send to firewire in photo mode.
Old February 19th, 2006, 08:39 PM   #6
Tourist

I'm sorry, I wasn't clear. I'm trying to record video via the firewire port WITHOUT a dv tape in the camcorder. I am trying to record a church service that typically runs two hours. I am trying to record directly to the church computer with a dv capture program. Is this possible? Thanks for the quick replies!!!!

Les
Old February 19th, 2006, 10:08 PM   #7
Trustee

Hi Les,

If you use normal power plug to supply the power, instead of the battery. I think that you can do your way without worryying the camcorder auto turn off the power. But you need to try yourself and it does not cost you anything to try.

Regards
Leigh
Leigh Wanstead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 19th, 2006, 11:51 PM   #8
Inner Circle

Les - You don't need to have a tape in the camcorder. You just connect it via firewire to your computer, turn it on, and tell your capture software to start recording (go ahead and try giving it a whirl). And yes, do power the camcorder with the A/C adapter, so it doesn't try to conserve battery power, by shutting down because it doesn't realize you are recording.
Old February 20th, 2006, 10:11 AM   #9
Tourist

Thanks!!!!!

This helps tremendously!!!!

Les
Old February 20th, 2006, 04:06 PM   #10
Inner Circle

BTW, you could still record to tape as a backup (while capturing to computer HDD), using 80 minute tapes in LP mode. That gives you 2 hours, but will be more prone to dropouts than SP and you may only be able to capture from the tape with the camera it was shot with, but at least you could get the whole service (unless it goes over the 2 hours) and have a backup in case the computer craps out (stuff happens). If you do that, I'd suggest using Panny's AMQ tapes (less prone to dropouts than standard tapes).
Old February 20th, 2006, 10:45 PM   #11
Tourist

Thanks Robert. You and the others who have responded have been a great help. I am in the middle of finals at college and don't have the time to try some of your great suggestions until Wednesday, but I am sure now that I can get something to work.

Les
Les Webb is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Panasonic P2HD / AVCCAM / AVCHD / DV Camera Systems > Panasonic DVX / DVC Assistant > Panasonic DV / MX / GS series Assistant