Image not from centre of lens - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Panasonic P2HD / AVCCAM / AVCHD / DV Camera Systems > Panasonic DVX / DVC Assistant > Panasonic DV / MX / GS series Assistant

Panasonic DV / MX / GS series Assistant
...and other Panasonic DV camcorders.

Old February 6th, 2003, 08:37 AM   #16
Obstreperous Rex

Actually, 30 repair items for a manufacturer's factory service center is practically nothing. That's good news!

Search DV Info Net | 20 years of DVi | ...Tuesday is Soylent Green Day!
Chris Hurd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 6th, 2003, 09:00 AM   #17
Major Player

Off axis regitration which originates from the plan-parallelism tolerances in the flex prism used for OIS (activated or not) are in general not a problem. If hoods are generating (asymmetric) vignetting and/or one wants to use some spatial filters for "artistic" effects then you are in trouble...it's within the cam specs...because it's not specified.
I tried to get in touch with Sony on this item about 7 years ago...never got an answer. B.t.w. rubber hoods are not good for testing these effects because they too show non concentricities.
Andre De Clercq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 7th, 2003, 08:47 AM   #18
Regular Crew

Thanks for your answer, Andre De Clercq

Yes, hoods can be out of shape... but now I'm trying with 43mm HOYA filters which YowCH just bought for me. Remember, HOYA is being quite boastful of their filter technology... how precise it is, etc. etc.

=====
Hi, YowCH!

After you left my place, I shot some more video with one, two, three 43mm filters, with and without the original MX300 lens hoods on.

My MX300 does show some off axis, vignetting more to the right by about 1mm (negligible), though it wasn't as bad as your MX350 which was definitely noticably off axis.

Like you mentioned, and I reiterate here for everyone's benefit:

MX300 with lens hood on + 2 Hoya filters (UV + ND4) = no vignetting on TV, but shows 4 dark corners when viewed on Premiere through preview window on computer monitor. The dark corners are the filters "peeping" into view - but it's neglibile, about 2 mm can be seen.

MX300 with lens hood on + 3 Hoya filters (UV + ND4 + slightly thicker Circular Polarizer) = some vignetting shows up in the corners on TV, dark corners about 4mm when viewed on Premiere through preview window on computer monitor.

MX300 WITHOUT lens hood + 2 Hoya filters (UV + ND4) = no vignetting on TV or Premiere.

MX300 WITHOUT lens hood + 3 Hoya filters (UV + ND4 + Circular Polarizer) = no vignetting on TV, about 2mm dark corners on Premiere.

Moral of story: don't use hoods if you plan to stack more than 2 filters.

Another bit of advise for YowCH: I don't know about Panasonic Singapore, but for Panasonic Malaysia, what I do is just go to the repair center, wait for my turn, explain to the person typing in the complaint into the computer a bit, then attach a piece of detailed instructions & perhaps a picture - could be on your SD / MMC card - tell them to look at it, and say "please fix this for me, let the techie read the instructions & he will know what to do..".

Then wait, wait... wait... Once they have your cam in custody, they HAVE TO DO SOMETHING ABOUT IT... even if it takes a LOOOONG TIME... Be prepared for seperation axiety.. :( :( BUT you have a tracking number which you can pester them about.

All the best to you!
Steven Khong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 7th, 2003, 07:39 PM   #19
Major Player

Great to hear that the MX300 is only very slightly off axis.

As for repairs, when I went over to Panasonic Singapore, I talked in techie terms and jargon so much that the counter girl gave up and called the tech down!

When the tech came down, I told her that I must show her something on a PC screen, so she brought me up to the repairs level. That's where I saw the number of units in need of repair.

Actually, I can pester them real bad - I live opposite their head office/showroom/repair centre, and my work place is also in the neighbourhood :)

Seems like I'm the only 350 user out here.

Jing Hong, any such problems with your 500?
SW: iMovie, Final Cut Pro, Adobe Premiere, Ulead Video Studio, various little utilities
Yow Cheong Hoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 7th, 2003, 08:02 PM   #20
Outer Circle

"Actually, I can pester them real bad - I live opposite their head office/showroom/repair centre, and my work place is also in the neighbourhood :)"

You are a very lucky guy! I've got to swim the Pacific to the other side/bottom side of the world to get mine serviced! The good news..., I live just 3 short blocks from the Pacific and the Pana service center for my cam is in Sydney AU---also beside the Pacific! You can't beat that!
Frank Granovski is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Panasonic P2HD / AVCCAM / AVCHD / DV Camera Systems > Panasonic DVX / DVC Assistant > Panasonic DV / MX / GS series Assistant