PV-DV953 not the MX5000? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Panasonic P2HD / AVCCAM / AVCHD / DV Camera Systems > Panasonic DVX / DVC Assistant > Panasonic DV / MX / GS series Assistant
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Panasonic DV / MX / GS series Assistant
...and other Panasonic DV camcorders.

Old March 18th, 2003, 12:35 AM   #1
Outer Circle

PV-DV953 not the MX5000?

"Lyonhart" from dv.com caught this from the Yahoo MX-5000 users group:

- Cory - Prodigitalphotos wrote:

FYI: the PV-DV953 is NOT the same camera as the MX5000. I was at a trade show only 7 days ago in Las Vegas and talked to the Panasonic reps there and they told me that while this camera looks almost identical to the MX5000, it lacks much quality and features that the MX5000 is famous for. I shot some stills off the PV-DV953 and then printed them in my photo lab and found that even though they are still 3 mega-pixels, they do not look as sharp or clear and color is a little worse. Of course, I don't think the digital stills on any video camera should be used in place of a good camera, but the MX5000 was better.

I just didn't want anyone to run out and buy the PV-DV953 thinking they were getting an MX5000. Panasonic also seemed to think that the MX5000 would never be released in the U.S., but who really knows? Hope this is of help to some of you out there.

Thank you,
Cory
www.prodigitalphotos.com
547 W. Columbia Lane
Provo, UT 84604
Frank Granovski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 18th, 2003, 02:37 AM   #2
Major Player

I am VERY sure that many "would be" DV953 owners would be thankful for this information.

I am REALLY disappointed with how Panasonic treats you North Americans.

Maybe Peping in Japan can start an import/export business just to help Panasonic out a little!

Many thanks to Frank for you cross-forum information sharing.
Yow Cheong Hoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 18th, 2003, 04:00 AM   #3
Outer Circle

No problem. If I find some useful, Panasonic small cam info, I post it here. It's my mission to make this the best forum for small Panasonic cams. Why do I do this? It beats watching TV!

The new PV-DV953 still isn't out here in Vancouver. But you can bet your boots that when they do arrive, I'm going put them under the microscope, and try to compare it with the MX5000. Mind you, I only have the MX5000 specs and manual to go with.

I appreciate all the helpful members (and new members looking for answers) which are making this forum happen. Allan? Terrence? We miss you!
Old March 18th, 2003, 04:55 AM   #4
Major Player

I looked at the specs, they seems to be the same...

But then again, based on specs, the MX500 is much better than the MX300/350, which I don't agree...

:)

Hands-on, that's the only way.
Old March 18th, 2003, 06:23 AM   #5
Major Player

Frank, I'm sure you know that I've been busy gathering info about the HD1 lately (and it's turning to be more and more uninteresting the more I know and read about that cam). The only thing that's stopping me from posting excerpts/translations from Jap reviews/forums are the intimidating guys in DV.com. LOL.
Long story short ...HDStudio would certainly disagree with most Japs who have actually tested the cam...but out of sheer curiosity and for the sake of having the "first one", I guess it will sell pretty well in Japan.

Anyways back to MX5000. I don't know what else can be downgraded other than the LCD size or resolution. Pany sometimes provide the same LCD size but with lower resolution, as was the case of the GX7. For a change, it was the Japs who got the short end of the deal. The European GX7 has 200K+ resolution LCD. From all available info regarding the PV953 so far, it looks and smells like the MX5000. I understand the 953 will also include what Pany Japan call as "professional functions" (tons of manual controls which are also available in the 3000 and 350) and that unmagical "magic strap", not to mention that wonderful wired remote. Oh BTW, the wired remote of this year's new releases will have built-in mic as well - good idea ne?

Has there been any mention of RGB filter on the 953? Pany call it Pure Colour Engine. What about frame/progressive mode?

There are actually a few very minor differences between the 500 and the 5000 but I don't consider them as downgrades at all. Unfortunately, I don't have my notes with me right now so I'll just post it later.

BTW, I've been wanting to ask this question (and I don't why I never ask Pany Japan). Is the 5000's CCD a progressive scan device with the ability to take interlaced video, Or,@is it the other way around (interlace CCD with the ability to take progressive video?). The default mode is interlaced.

Yow, my small export business is still alive (but not kicking lately).
Having said that, please don't forget that I'm still one of the cheapest and honest sellers in Japan ($1,170 for the complete set of MX5000 delivered first class right at your doorstep), in case anybody is still interested. Unfortunately, it will greet your "konnichiwa" instead of "hello." Oh yes, I sure can get the Jap HD1 (but I honestly can't recommend it).

Regards
Allan Rejoso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 18th, 2003, 12:49 PM   #6
Inner Circle

Because of recent financial issues, I may be back to looking at the MX500. I'll have a better idea next week. (Replaced the engine in my pickup truck).

Yow Cheong Hoe, do you know a store I can get one from at those great prices you've been quoting? I assume the menus are in English? Thanks
Joe Carney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 18th, 2003, 02:38 PM   #7
Outer Circle

Alan, yes, I know you have been posting elsewhere and mainly about the new JVC HDs. I've been on dv.com's camera forum for a long time, and I've noticed that when ever there is a new JVC or Panasonic, the company reps and people who get hired by these companies go crazy with posting hype and nonsense---promoting a new cam. That's one of the main reasons I post there with the truths, negatives and questions. This is also why I get attacked there. So it seems that the companies run that forum, and not Bruce Johnson. Yesterday, I bumped up a few old posts there. You think that's okay? Heck, I do it here sometimes. Anyway, Bruce Johnson e-mailed me straight away and told me not to do that. At dv.com, it seems, you are not allowed to post on older threads. The threads are there only "for show," whereas here, at dvinfo.net, we have freedom to post on any thread. It's funny how some members post over at dv.com with complaints about this site lacking freedom, when in fact, it's the other way around.
Old March 18th, 2003, 07:16 PM   #8
Major Player

Joe, call me YowCH for short, sad that handles are not allowed on this forum. I'll say that the MX500 is really a cheap 3CCD , very affordable.

But sadly for you (unless I guess wrongly) you are in Florida and that is NTSC-land. The prices that I can get are in Singapore, PAL-land. So unless you want PAL the model, you can't get them here.

And yes, the cams in South-east Asia are in English. The models has the suffix -EN. The -EN seems to be the best deal among Panasonic PAL models, with everything enabled, as far as I know :). If I am not wrong, the European/British models has features disabled due to tax rates. Actually, -EN is sold in everywhere English speaking PAL-land, except Britain, Europe and Australia.
SW: iMovie, Final Cut Pro, Adobe Premiere, Ulead Video Studio, various little utilities
Old March 18th, 2003, 07:54 PM   #9
Outer Circle

The Panasonic PAL "EN versions are sold here in Vancouver too.
Old March 20th, 2003, 10:58 AM   #10
Inner Circle

YowCh, I want a PAL version, thats why I was asking. Since it supports 16x9 progressive, I feel it can be a poor mans dvx100. And for at least awhile, I'm relatively poor.
With it's low light limitations, I'll have to build and/or invest in a good light kit, but I'd have to do that anyway.

Plus, I'm not ruling out getting the DVX later this spring.

So, If you know a good place/price I would be willing to wire you the money, plus pay for any shipping costs, plus a small fee for your time and effort. I've already checked with Mack, they will warranty anything new within 30 days of purchase.

The only issue is... Is the AC power supply able to work world wide the way Laptop power supplies do? If not I would have to order the AC kit for the upcoming 953 I guess.

You can email me if you want.
Joe Carney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 20th, 2003, 07:38 PM   #11
Major Player

Hi Joe,

OK, I'll see if I can think of something. I did help Savvas (also on this board) get his MX500 and he lives in Australia.

And you guys here will be relieved to know that my banter and chatter will stop for 10 days, starting 6pm (Singapore time) as I go on holiday to my parents, then my missus' parents and I'll disappear into the Mulu National Park in Sarawak (East Malaysia) for 4 days. Back on 31 March.

Hopefully I can share some good videos and pictures of Malaysia wildlife with you guys when I get back, and hopefully the war would have ended :)

That said, I'll work something out with you, Joe. I'll be back.
SW: iMovie, Final Cut Pro, Adobe Premiere, Ulead Video Studio, various little utilities
Yow Cheong Hoe is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Panasonic P2HD / AVCCAM / AVCHD / DV Camera Systems > Panasonic DVX / DVC Assistant > Panasonic DV / MX / GS series Assistant