Anyone in Aus have a DVX? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Panasonic P2HD / AVCCAM / AVCHD / DV Camera Systems > Panasonic DVX / DVC Assistant
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Panasonic DVX / DVC Assistant
The 4K DVX200 plus previous Panasonic Pro Line cams: DVX100A, DVC60, DVC30.

Old June 15th, 2003, 10:39 AM   #1
Inner Circle

Anyone in Aus have a DVX?

Just curious, as i was jsut wondering if anyone here in Oz actualy had one and for what purpose do you use it?

I just got my hands on one and i primarily use it for corporate and wedding work....

it was either this or the XL1s.. i thought better of it and went for this :)

i bought it online from Bizmax and i must say, the customer service i received was THE best i have ever come across online :)
I also saved myself over $3000AUD by buying it this way....
Peter Jefferson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 15th, 2003, 10:40 AM   #2
Major Player

I am thinking of getting one is quite a serious manner.

What state are you in? I have only seen them available in a few stores here.

Zac
Zac Stein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 15th, 2003, 10:05 PM   #3
Regular Crew

How much tax did customs make you pay? I spoke to them and they said ~14% so that would add nearly a grand to the price wouldnt it? I too am considering ordering from there.

HOw is the low light performance in the dark churches?
Tung Bui is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 16th, 2003, 09:12 AM   #4
Inner Circle

havent tried it in a church yet, but i tried it in a dark store and the colours were amazing...

24p is non existant, but it does run true progressive 25p as we're PAL our only runs 25p...

oh and teh audio sync probs dont exist either...
Old June 16th, 2003, 09:14 AM   #5
Major Player

Peter if you are in melbourne, would it be possible to come and demo yours with you?

Zac
Old June 17th, 2003, 08:41 AM   #6
Inner Circle

Im in sydney mate, but i must say, it absolutely poopoo's all over the rest...
theres no point in goin the XL1s when this offers a nicer cleaner picture without the lens character of the XL.. when u see XL footage, you KNOW its XL footage...
when u see Sony footage, you can actaully feel that its a sony...

I particualrly like the automatic depth of field focussing.. u can run it full infinity, but running it thru DOF auto focus is amazing..
of all teh 3chip "Pro" cams ive seen, none can do it this way with this kind of definition...

Its taken me ages to find a cam which i know i can work with and I dont regret the investment one bit...

oh and as for dark low light shots, jsut running it standard +12db gain up makes a 65w bulb in the other room look like a spotty.. (No sh!t... )

mind you the PAL version IS running a higher line and resolution count so that could be it too... i DID notice noise at 18db, but at 15 its clean and actaulyl overexposed the globe in the other room....
+18 prolly wont ever be needed IMO

From what i have seen and heard, theres not many ppl in Oz buying these cams... mind you theres only afew suppliers who are willing to stock it, but either way, from all the cams ive seen and belted around this offers the cleanest image in lowlight (sorry sony owners, but the pd150 and VX2000 didnt do anything for me... but like i said, that could be from other factors....)

In all honesty, i wanst expecting to be this impressed with the cam... the 25p mode is identical to the 24 p mode on the ntsc units, manual focus and all... bit dissapointed in that regard.. considering they could have easily included an auto focus driver in the PAL unit. (I mean, even the PAL MX500 can run 25p progressive but WITH auto focus... for weddings, you dont wanna fluff around tryin to find a shot... if you know what i mean)

but the resuts ARE alot cleaner than the XL.. it actually DOES look like film even in 50i

very VERY impressed...
Old June 17th, 2003, 09:34 AM   #7
Major Player

What about gst/import tax coming into australia?

And warrenty/service claims, can you go to panasonic locally, or are you stuck shipping back o/s?

Zac
Old June 17th, 2003, 10:12 AM   #8
Inner Circle

its a worldwide 2 year warranty, and as for taxes, if your willing to drop the value of the item, you can probably get drop the charges a little bit, mind you you CANT claim it back on your BAS or anything like that.. so there are some sacrifices which need to be made...
The cam CAN be claimed on tax, the GST of it's import cannot though.. unless you want your claim to have discrepancies which will end up costing you more...

in the end i still ended up paying MUCH less... than what i would have, if i bought the item from here.. on top of that i got an MC-100g shotgun mic... here in oz your lookin at about 8k standard cam with no mic + standard warranty...
The mic alone is about $400 and the 2 yr warranty another $250...

email me for the exact price as id rather not turn this thread into a sales pitch, as were going off topic here...

Oh and its local repairs..

cheers
P
Peter Jefferson is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Panasonic P2HD / AVCCAM / AVCHD / DV Camera Systems > Panasonic DVX / DVC Assistant