DVX100 or PD150? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Panasonic P2HD / AVCCAM / AVCHD / DV Camera Systems > Panasonic DVX / DVC Assistant
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Panasonic DVX / DVC Assistant
The 4K DVX200 plus previous Panasonic Pro Line cams: DVX100A, DVC60, DVC30.

Old July 6th, 2003, 10:46 PM   #1
Regular Crew

DVX100 or PD150?

I have the money and I am debating between the two cameras. Is there anyone out there that went from the PD150 to the DVX100? If so what is the quality difference.

I know these cameras very well. It's a hard decision.

Things I like about the PD-150
1.) There are more filters and sunshades available for it.
2.) Comes with a Mic.
3.) They use it in Movies.
4.) It's compatible with my other sony cameras.
5.) There is more asscesories for it.

Things I like about the DVX100 that are hard to pass up.
1.) Rec and zoom controls on handle
2.) Matches refresh rate so you can record computer screens.

Does the 24p mode still have the quality of video? Does anyone have any clips or work they have done in this mode that they can show? I saw some online and it looked like 16mm film sorta and that worries me.

I'll be using it for Weddings, Documentaries and Films.

Much love and respect,
Mark Monciardini
Mark Monciardini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 7th, 2003, 05:24 AM   #2
Wrangler

Re: DVX100 or PD150?

<<<-- Originally posted by Mark Monciardini : I have the money and I am debating between the two cameras. Is there anyone out there that went from the PD150 to the DVX100? If so what is the quality difference.

I know these cameras very well. It's a hard decision.

Things I like about the PD-150
1.) There are more filters and sunshades available for it.
The PD-150 has been out for many years now- it's normal to have more accessories for an older model. However the DVX100 has a pretty good fair share of filters and matte-boxes (sunshades?).
2.) Comes with a Mic.
The DVX comes with a mice too- it's just onboard. Doesn't matter though- if your serious about shooting you'll replace both mics, whether it be onboard like the DVX's or external like the PD-150s.
3.) They use it in Movies.
Huh?...yeah I HAVE seen a few clips in Jackass where they WERE using the PD-150...but what "Movies" are you talking about? Regarding movies- I'm not even going to go there....thats one of the primary draws to the DVX100....is it's movie-like 24p mode, etc
4.) It's compatible with my other sony cameras.
Compatable how?- Video quality? Regardless of what camera you shoot along side of you'll run into issues with matching up the footage. You'll have to do some pretty tricky adjustments in post to help make them match regardless of both being sony or not.
5.) There is more asscesories for it.
See #1.

Things I like about the DVX100 that are hard to pass up.
1.) Rec and zoom controls on handle
2.) Matches refresh rate so you can record computer screens.
Granted I've never shot with the PD150, however if those are the only 2 reasons your considering the DVX100 maybe you SHOULD go with the PD150.
-->>>
Glen Elliott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 7th, 2003, 05:53 AM   #3
Regular Crew

I have used both these cameras and I must say they are both very good. However when it comes to image quality and the "look" of the images I prefer the DVX100. I also think the DVX100 has alot of features you won't find on the PD150. You got pretty good control of the way your footage looks, and of course the great ability to shoot 24p/25p. The only thing I think is really much better with the PD150 is that it does not feels so fragile as the DVX100. I know the DVX100 can handle quite alot, but it's just that "plastic feel". Anyway, I don't think this should stop you from going with the DVX100, because it really is a great camera.
Old July 7th, 2003, 07:12 AM   #4
Wrangler

Yeah my old Sony TRV-17 "feels" sturdier than my DVX100. Oddly enough most all DV cams are mostly plastic it's just that the way the DVX is finished (or unfinished I should say) that makes it feel fragil. It's an unpainted, unfinsihed matte black plastic. Ya know...the kind of plastic that has no gloss to it and looks like it'll show fingerprints from handling.
Old July 7th, 2003, 09:14 AM   #5
Space Hipster

But it's not plastic, it's magnesium alloy. Feels like plastic but it's not...
Old July 7th, 2003, 10:01 AM   #6
Wrangler

Tis true, thus in all actuality the DVX is more rugged than the PD-150 and the like.
Old July 7th, 2003, 02:34 PM   #7
Major Player

The PD150 I must say feels much more solid and rigid in your hand. The body of the PD150 is of better finish than the DVX100. The DVX100 with it's loose OIS unit when unit's off really sounds bad(but supposedly it's fine)
Yang Wen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 7th, 2003, 04:41 PM   #8
Outer Circle

I think both cams are equally as good each with their own unique pro's and con's. Personally, I think that the VX2000 is good bang for the buck but it'll need some things like a XLR adaptor. I also prefer smaller hand-helds so I would go with the DVX100---but for the money, the VX2000 is a good buy. The best advice I can give you is go have a look at both cams and test them---then decide. One thing that might sway you toward the DVX is its better audio and fuller color saturation. If you want the 24P, then you only have one choice: the DVX100.
Frank Granovski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 8th, 2003, 08:46 PM   #9
Regular Crew

I own both the PD150 and the DVX100. There is a lot more mag alloy on the DVX than the PD. Physically, the PD is a little slimmer and lankier than the DVX. Both cams are about the same length. The DVX looks more professional than the PD because of the bigger glass on the front end. The DVX is a little better balanced in your hand than the PD but not much. I bought the DVX because I wanted a cam to shoot 24P and 30P footage with. However, if 60i is all you need, the PD would be the way to go. It has a few features I like over the DVX. I like that it shoots DVCAM. I like that it has a B&W VF (however, the huge pro sized VF on the DVX is one of its better attributes). I also like the audio control the PD has over the DVX. The PD has a little button on the rear that brings up a level meter display. In terms of audio you know where you are landing. The DVX only has the small display at the bottom of the VF that lets you know when you are hitting -12db but no other ratings. But, if you really need progressive then the DVX is the only game in town in its price range.
Will Boggs is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Panasonic P2HD / AVCCAM / AVCHD / DV Camera Systems > Panasonic DVX / DVC Assistant