Wear on DVX100 Heads at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Panasonic P2HD / AVCCAM / AVCHD / DV Camera Systems > Panasonic DVX / DVC Assistant
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Panasonic DVX / DVC Assistant
The 4K DVX200 plus previous Panasonic Pro Line cams: DVX100A, DVC60, DVC30.

Old September 16th, 2003, 08:58 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Wear on DVX100 Heads

Hello, I own a DVX100 and have recently been thinking about getting a cheap consumer miniDV camera to decrease wear on the DVX heads. I don't know much about this topic, only what I have read on these forums. I was wanting to know how much extra wear using the DVX as a capturing device cause the heads? Is it major wear or is it really just miniscule wear that could add up and cause problems over time? If I am only capturing once a week or so is there any hurry to get a new device to capture on or will I be okay as long as I am not capturing heavily with the DVX? Also, how much does it cost to replace the heads on a DVX? I've been thinking about getting the JVC GR-D30 miniDV cam for capturing (because it is the cheapest miniDV camera out there that has stereo sound). Is it not a good idea to mix the footage taken from the DVX with a cheap JVC cam or should I just quit being a cheapskate and pay the extra $50-100 to get a Panasonic brand camera?
Darrell Hinton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 17th, 2003, 01:01 AM   #2
Outer Circle

The more you use a cam, the faster you'll wear the heads. Personally, I don't worry about it. If they wear, I'll just get them replaced. As for the cost of getting the DVX heads replaced, perhaps e-mail Pana Pro.
Frank Granovski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 21st, 2003, 05:01 PM   #3
Regular Crew

Well, I e-mailed Panasonic 4 days ago about how expensive it is to get the heads replaced for the DVX100 and still no reply. Does anyone know at least an approximate price for how much this would cost? Any help would be much appreciated.
Old September 21st, 2003, 05:45 PM   #4
Warden

Ballpark figure, between $300 and $600 USD. But you've got to remember, a ballpark is a pretty big place.

Search DVinfo.net for quick answers | Where to Buy? From the best in the business: DVinfo.net sponsors
Jeff Donald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 21st, 2003, 06:30 PM   #5
Regular Crew

Thanks Jeff. I see what you are saying, I was just wanting to make sure it wasn't extravagantly expensive (like $1000 or over). I'm having a hard time deciding on wether I should get a cheap-o cam for capturing or not. I would get one without question if I didn't need so many other things too(because I usually go by the "better safe than sorry" philosophy). Unfortunately, I still need to purchase a good mic (probably an ME66) and a good tripod(which will probably be atleast another $300, I'm just using my old cheap-o tripod right now because I'm not shooting anything important yet, just been messing around figuring stuff out about the DVX). I will be begin shooting my first short at the end of October, so I think a good tripod and mic should probably come before the extra cam for capture. Thanks a lot, you have all been very helpful, as usual.
Old September 21st, 2003, 06:43 PM   #6
Warden

I think your camera will go out of style (technologically speaking) before you wear out your heads.

Search DVinfo.net for quick answers | Where to Buy? From the best in the business: DVinfo.net sponsors
Jeff Donald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 21st, 2003, 07:00 PM   #7
Regular Crew

If that is true, then I will probably not be getting a capture cam. Although, I do plan on using my DVX for as long as it will hold up(or atleast until something else comes out with features that are just too hard to resist), if it will take that kind of time before the heads will wear out, then I probably won't mind dishing out the money to replace the heads when that time comes. Thanks again Jeff.
Old September 22nd, 2003, 03:51 AM   #8
Regular Crew

If I were to shoot some 24p footage on the DVX and use a cheaper camera as a DV deck, would that cheaper camera fully retain and transfer all that 24p footage to the computer? Thanks!

:]
Randy Reyes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 22nd, 2003, 06:16 AM   #9
Inner Circle

yes, i alwyas run a backup thru a small DS88 connected thru firewire (cam to cam) when shooting important stuff.

other times, i run a sync config from the dvx and allow it to trigger the DS deck when the DVX tape is coming to an end. Basically i can swith tapes while continuing to record...

this is good for those long and tedious wedding ceremonies which never seem to end...

oh and it doesnt matter as all your footage is identical...

the 24 function is the pulldown config, our tape STILL physically runs normally
Peter Jefferson is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Panasonic P2HD / AVCCAM / AVCHD / DV Camera Systems > Panasonic DVX / DVC Assistant